• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Zombie books have you read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Thanks for the book ideas lorikay, So many books...so little time!! Turning off the TV greatly helps doesn't it? I'm afraid my husband would turn into a Zombie if I took away the cable though.... Amazingly, my grown sons (in their early 20's) both are happy to live without TV ~ I'm so happy they enjoy reading and board games more!

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
I know that there are ways to download "non amazon" books to my Kindle, but I haven't truly figured it out yet. I think I've already read all the free downloads that amazon offers - There are tons of books at the Gutenberg (sp?) project website, with instructions that I just need to go read... As far as podiobooks on itune...I'm in the dark so if anyone figures it out - please post a link for me to the instructions? pretty please?

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Well, I finished Deadline yesterday, it's the second book in the 'Newsflesh' trilogy with Feed being the first one. Now I really liked Feed, I think it's one of the most well thought out Zombie books to come out so far. It has compelling characters that I got emotionally attached to and felt the rise and fall of the story right along with them. It's a different setting than most zombie novels in that it takes place around 20 years after the dead started coming back and everyone is getting on with their lives such as they can in a world where you can't 'win' against the living dead when you yourself will eventually join their ranks no matter what. One of the key aspects of of the disease (yes disease) is that it inhabits every mammal on the planet and anything that weighs over 40 pounds WILL come back and try to gnaw your face off! Sound like a great jumping off point for hard core action? Tough. Feed, follows a group of Bloggers following a political campaign. Just in case you don't know how that could be interesting, they're online journalist split into 3 different areas: Newsies, which deliver fact based journalism with registered biases so you know where they lean beforehand. Irwins, which poke dead things with sticks (or pistols, assault rifles, grenades...) to see what happens for your viewing pleasure. Finally, there are Fictionals, which write stories, poems, etc. so you can escape reality when it becomes too much to think about. So without giving away any plot points or spoilers, it get pretty interesting since of course it can't be just about the political campaign, something else has to be going on...

Now, DON'T read the second book (Deadline) before reading the first one. Since it happens after the end of the first one, it would ruin the revelations. This makes a meaningful review hard to do since it doesn't work well as a stand alone novel. What I can say is: It's good. Not quite as great as the first one in the series but it does expand on character development and opens a whole new bag of worms for the final book in the series to resolve... It's an installment in a grand sweeping trilogy that does move the story forward, answers some questions, and poses even more. It's not quite ......, but it's close enough as far as addictions go. To make it worse, she included a first chapter of the final book, which kicks you in the head with a size 14 jackboot of WTF?!?!

In conclusion: Is it worth reading? Oh hell yeah! Just make sure you read Feed first. I don't know if I want the series to end after the next book. I've read far, far, FAR, worse series and still considered them to be solid stories. This is one of the best I've read, period. Now, no matter what I've said, I still want the next book NOW and not next summer. :p

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
I just read a short novella that I got from a free/cheap Kindle site......Gugga.

GUGGA
by Jonathan Lambert (Goodreads Author)
4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 · rating details · 17 ratings · 5 reviews
As the zombie apocalypse winds down, thanks to a flaky vaccine and the weapons of the living, a lone zombie still rambles on, waiting for the end. His only companions are hunger, fear, and a deep loneliness. But everything changes when he makes a new friend.

Ok...ok...I know the premise of this book probably give WAY too much intelligence and mental functionality to Zombies. But hey....who knows??? I loved the story and highly recommend it. I won't spoil it....but one of the most fun things about the story is when you figure out just who Gugga used to be...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread