Whats the shelf life of Juice? Flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I came across a bottle of juice that was buried behind other stuff for a year and recalled that I used to like it, why not fill up a squanker and enjoy?

Problem is I found that it has almost no flavor at all anymore. (barely a hint of flavor)

How long do you folks expect this stuff to last?

For those of use that make our own, how long do the bottles of concentrated flavors last?

(I see buying more than 30ml of flavoring at a time might be a waste?)

- George.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have concentrates that are over 2yrs old that I always keep in a closed cupboard and still use them and not noticed any flavour loss.
    I mixed up 2lts of Thug juice for a mate that went travelling in Asia for 6months. He came back after 9months and gave me back the remainder of the juice as he went back on the ciggies. I kept it and after approx 2yrs of mixing it for him I tried it. Wow it tasted wonderful.

Reactions: Katya

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I came across a bottle of Juice that was buried behind other stuff for a year and recalled that I used to like it, why not fill up a squanker and enjoy?

Problem is I found that it has almost no flavor at all anymore. (barely a hint of flavor)

How long do you folks expect this stuff to last?

For those of use that make our own, how long do the bottles of concentrated flavors last?

(I see buying more than 30ml of flavoring at a time might be a waste?)

- George.
    There's no rule to that. It depends on the flavorings/juice brand. One thing that will definitely go off with time is nicotine. I bought some 10ml juices 3 years ago and few shortfills, kept them stored at room temperature. Then went into diy, started vaping other flavors, and these unfinished bottles were left forgotten. Recently pulled them out: few went bad- either no flavor, or started to taste disgusting. But some still tasted good- few tobacco flavors, one aniseed, and two shortfills- watermelon and heisenberg. All the juices that went bad were fruit flavor- apple, blueberry, strawberry, cherry, oh yeah and one tobacco flavor went bad. All the 10ml juices with nicotine lost strength, nicotine degraded...
    These days I keep my flavorings, nicotine, and as many juices as I can in the fridge or freezer. If you can dedicate some space in your freezer and fridge, all of your juices/nicotine/flavorings will last forever.

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Plastic squeezeable bottle. Why would that matter?

Over the years I've caved and collected a handful of store bought juices, I suspect they all are weak or non-existant flavoring at this point.

I buy small bottles, I use very little flavoring to begin with. I keep them in a closet. My oldest ones are 3 years old or so and still fine.

But I agree with others that, once mixed with nicotine base, they become very perishable at room temp, with light and oxygen--but that's nic oxidizing; PG, VG and flavorings seem to be much more stable.

I had some 3 years old juices that i found i a box from my recent move and they tasted great! this was a year ago and I think I will look for them and see if they still taste great. sadly i´ve experienced some tase-problems so it might be for nothing. the only juice ive really felt gone bad after expire is Double Drip juices. especially the 10ml bottles with nic already in them. they develop a kind of bitter taste. shelflife of ejuices semms to be much longer then stated on the bottles, most of the time.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I have DIY juices in a shoe box in the closet that are several years old. They were mixed in Boston Rounds (glass) bottles and the juices are still good. Everything I mix is from flavors that are clear at the start. Some darken several shades during steeping, but are still translucent when held up to the light.

It all depends on the flavors in the juice. Some are just going to be dark and not translucent. I suppose that those flavors have dissolved solids that cloud the juice. Some flavors may lose potency or change in some way that affects flavor and color.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread