Whats your thought about using TC mods with Titanium, Nichrome and Kanthal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
I've been using my ipv D2 75W VW TC APV Box mod in temperature control mode with Titanium and Kanthal.

Is there any issue about using a dual Kanthal coil in Joules mode set at 500 degrees / 40 Joule , in the Titanium setting.

The clouds and taste are great, and the tank is staying cooler.

What are your thoughts about this.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I've been using my iPV D2 75W VW TC APV Box Mod in temperature control mode with Titanium and Kanthal.

Is there any issue about using a dual Kanthal coil in Joules mode set at 500 degrees / 40 Joule , in the Titanium setting.

The clouds and taste are great, and the tank is staying cooler.

What are your thoughts about this.

If it works for you then great. I'm glad to hear that it works.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Its not doing any actual temp control/limiting since you're running Kanthal, so i see absolutely no benefit to running it in TC mode instead of regular power mode.

If anything it will theoretically give you more erratic performance as the chip is trying to use resistance fluctuations (that arent happening with Kanthal) to determine how much power it pushes. No resistance change and its probably just throwing an uninterrupted 40 joules/watts, just like it would in wattage mode.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Its not doing any actual temp control/limiting since you're running Kanthal, so i see absolutely no benefit to running it in TC mode instead of regular power mode.

If anything it will theoretically give you more erratic performance as the chip is trying to use resistance fluctuations (that arent happening with Kanthal) to determine how much power it pushes. No resistance change and its probably just throwing an uninterrupted 40 joules/watts, just like it would in wattage mode.

If I ran it in watts mode at 40 watts, the tank gets hot to the touch when chain vaping, whereas in the joules mode at 40 ( 40 watts per second) it stays much cooler. To say that its just a bit warm compared to when in watts mode and hot to the touch.

TeeBag

Oct 28, 2015
i too have messed around with the tc option using kanthal....and it seems that i get a more consistent vapor production out of it in tc mode, the tank does stay cooler and the batteries last a tad longer.
was tc designed with using kanthal in mind? no. cheese grater wasn't designed for carrots either, but if you're making carrot cake it works great.
i can't really see any cons to it...it shouldn't hurt anything.

Reactions: Gahh

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
i too have messed around with the tc option using kanthal....and it seems that i get a more consistent vapor production out of it in tc mode, the tank does stay cooler and the batteries last a tad longer.
was tc designed with using kanthal in mind? no. cheese grater wasn't designed for carrots either, but if you're making carrot cake it works great.
i can't really see any cons to it...it shouldn't hurt anything.

Notes using Kanthal in TC mode,,,,,,,,,,,,

Consistent Vapor Production,,,,,,,,,,,Me too
Cooler Tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Me too
Longer Battery Usage ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Me too,,,,, I just noticed this today

Shredding Carrots on a Cheese Grater,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Me too

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Hey whatever works for ya.

But my point is there has to be reason for the difference in heat production.

Normally you would assume its a byproduct of the temperature being regulated when in TC mode, but with Kanthal that's not the case, so i'm left to infer it is somehow delivering less power in TC mode, and thereby generating less heat.

If TC worked properly with Kanthal, we likely wouldn't be running Ni, Ti, and SS, we'd all be running kanthal.

Reactions: puffon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread