When Nicotine Oxidizes (Steeps), Is There Really an Effect on Your E-Liquid FLAVOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Gotcha...

Just Curious. How much Nicotine Base do you Currently have? And How Long have you had it?

1L 100mg/ml in the fridge for about 1 month, used approx. 23ml of it so the bottle has 23 more ml of air than new... still clear as clean water :)

every one likes clean unrusted metal ergo everyone likes clean unrusted ( oxidized) nic :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
1L 100mg/ml in the fridge for about 1 month, used approx. 23ml of it so the bottle has 23 more ml of air than new... still clear as clean water :)

every one likes clean unrusted metal ergo everyone likes clean unrusted ( oxidized) nic :)

See here's the thing...

I have 2 Year Old Glass Bottle of 36mg/ml Nic Base in the Bottle Drawer of a Filing Cabinet and it has turned to a Light Brown Tint. But the Taste is Unchanged. I also have a 2 Year Old Bottle which has Not Changed Color, but it has a Bitter Taste that it Didn't when I First got it.

And I have Bought some Nic Base before that had a Light Tint to it that Didn't Have any real Perceivable Taste to it.

So to me, Color isn't the Greatest Benchmark to Taste. And I thought Kurt once mentioned that Nicotine is Going to Oxidize. But it May or May Not change Color when it does.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I had a bottle that sat out of the freezer for 3 months. It seemed to have some sort of tobacco note that it didn't before. Subtle but present. It was RTS nic. I vaped some unflavored once I realized it had been sitting.

I'm sure it varies from vendor to vendor. I have WL and MFS nic in the freezer. Next time I break out a fresh bottle I might set some aside in a small bottle and let it sit for a while and see what happens.

The oldest bottle I've pulled from the freezer so far is 8 months. It was as good as the day I bought it from what I could tell. No noticeable difference.

Cloudcomm

May 20, 2014
Indianapolis
Ok, Nicotine does oxidize, and the visual of such a phase change turns our E-liq tan to brown. The O2 bound is simply Nicotine Oxide. The oxidation rate is obviously dependent on available oxygen of which comes from the air. This phase change also contributes to other molecules that we are now vaping. I would theorize the open cap steeping is contributing to this and introducing moisture from the air as well. Pg/VG/Nicotine are all hygroscopic so this may contribute to the flavor mellowing effect when the cap is left off for 12 hours. Albeit interesting, my brain hurts, I'm going to go vape some s'mores ;)

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Steeping is just the flavor compounds penetrating the base. The color changes because the compounds are reacting to the nicotine. I have experimented with this making 0 nic flavor base. Also my new nic base stays lighter much longer on the final mix. They taste better in time, because the flavorings are masking the taste of the nicotine. I'm glad I don't have to mask the nic anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread