Where do you buy your pg, vg & nic from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I get most of my DIY stuff from Nicotine River. I find their prices reasonable but I also think they do well with customer service. My orders arrive quickly, and everything is neatly packed, no leaking and etc. I think their price on 60 ml glass bottles is great-- I just ordered 25 of them. They are the regular "dripper" type, but I actually prefer that glass type as I feel more comfortable rinsing and reusing....

Anna

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm picky about quality and insist on using the best that's available but I don't fall for the marketing hype that sells overpriced products. Here's my current sources for buying in bulk;

100mg liquid nic: Nicotine Solution - 100mg Liter

USP Kosher VG: Glycerin

USP PG: Propylene Glycol

I've also purchased PG and VG from Essential Depot, good stuff but usually more expensive than Bulk Apothecary. I buy by the gallon and only when on-sale, both Essential Depot and Bulk Apothecary occasionally offer 30% off sales.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My nic came from MyFreedomSmokes. I buy Essential Depot PG and VG from Amazon in quarts. It's cheaper by the gallon, but it's easier to deal with in quarts. A quart of VG and two quarts of PG will last me close to a year at my 60pg to 70pg mix ratio.

I keep saying that I'll buy a gallon of each next time I order. We'll see.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
My nic came from MyFreedomSmokes. I buy Essential Depot PG and VG from Amazon in quarts. It's cheaper by the gallon, but it's easier to deal with in quarts. A quart of VG and two quarts of PG will last me close to a year.

I keep saying that I'll buy a gallon of each next time I order. We'll see.

Those are my exact purchasing preferences also. Never had any problems with them

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
Do you guys get lab test results from these nic sources? I have been going with Nude Nic. I find it very "clean" and I like that I have exact data on every trace of everything in there. Took a while for my batch but worth the wait. I dropped my DIY from 0.3% to 0.24% nic after I switched due to potency / buzzing, also works out 1:20 strength with 48mg/ml base.

Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hello all, I have always bought my pg, vg $ nic from either RTS Vapes or Wizard Labs but now that RTS Vapes is no longer in business, I have no idea where else to look to compare prices. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
I too have used both wizard Labs and RTS 100mg/mL nic; so I know the nic you are used to using. I am in agreement with @Str8vision's recommendations; as they are who I now purchase from (Heartland for nic; and Bulk Apothecary for PG and VG). Links:
Heartland 100mg/mL nic (the regular; not the Ultra Premium... which I have NOT tried) is smoother than Wizard, and is as smooth, perhaps even a bit smoother, than RTS. I am not a nic connoisseur; what IS important to me is absence of throat-hit (smoothness), and no "off" taste. Heartland's regular offering hits both those criteria. And, at $45 per liter, it is hard to beat the price!:thumbs: Customer service was good, and shipping was fast (3 days, on a holiday sale purchase, if memory serves me). :D

I bought two liters of nic, and they came bottled in HDPE (not PET, which can leach, or LDPE which is more air permeable), and each bottle individually sealed in its own plastic bag. I broke one down for use, and put the other in the freezer to be broken down later (which I have yet to do:blush:). With the experiment @Rossum is doing for nicotine storage (see Nic Base Storage thread); I am seriously considering leaving it alone.

PG and VG I can't really get excited about. As long as it doesn't have any sort of "off" taste, that might interfere with my DIY, I am all good.:) Price (here) is the primary factor. Bulk Apothecary's product-plus-shipping price beats both Essential Depot's website price (product + shipping), and Essential Depot's Amazon Prime (product + "free" shipping) (even beats their "glycube" 4 gallon pricing); so I buy Bulk Apothecary.:D

Again; product came packaged it heavy duty HDPE plastic bottles and arrived promptly. USPS must not have been happy about the heavy weight of my 4 gallon purchase, because the box looked like they had been trying to play volleyball with it, but the contents were fine and with no leaking.:thumbs:

The one advantage Essential Depot has, if it is important to you, is you can select the specific plant type (palm or soy) your VG is made from. Bulk Apothecary does not offer that, and it may vary, depending on who they are currently sourcing from.

A final tip for shopping on Bulk Apothecary: their PG and VG are sold as "bulk" goods by the pound. 8lbs. of PG = 1 gallon; and 10lbs. of VG = 1 gallon. The smaller/est size for both is 16oz. and I am not sure if this is 16 fluid ounces (1 pint), or 16 ounces (1lb.), so you may want to call, or shoot them an email, if that makes a difference. I have only purchased gallons from them.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I too have used both wizard Labs and RTS 100mg/mL nic; so I know the nic you are used to using. I am in agreement with @Str8vision's recommendations; as they are who I now purchase from (Heartland for nic; and Bulk Apothecary for PG and VG).

Yep, me too! I ordered my last 2L of 100mg/mL nic for my stash, from Heartland, and I've also bought & used RTS and WL nic before buying from Heartland, too. My PG & VG...I've always gotten from Bulk Apothecary by the gallon jugs, when they have their sales on it. I long ago compared the price of getting it from the top 3 places usually recommended on here. Bulk Apothecary has always beaten the other 2, when S/H is figured into it, too. In fact, even though Essential Depot is located here in FL (so shipping should be less to me)...it's always been higher than from Bulk Apothecary, which is in Ohio!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Do you guys get lab test results from these nic sources?
I have purchased nic from Wizard Labs, RTS, and Heartland Vapes. I have not received CoAs from any of them.
I have been going with Nude Nic. I find it very "clean" and I like that I have exact data on every trace of everything in there.
Batch=by-batch CoA testing is expensive and would add significant cost to the end buyer. NN provides it, because they have their own in-house lab, so cost is minimal. In fact they offer lab analysis, of anyone's product, as a service on their website. I used to think that was kind of cool until I ran across this ex-employee's assessment of working there:
upload_2017-10-2_23-49-23.png

(Source: glassdoor)

The poster claims to be the ex CTO; so might(?) be privy to such info.

Now, before anyone starts hollering(;)), I will be the first one to say, this sounds like a seriously disgruntled employee, and there may not be one iota of truth in his/her accusations. But it does tend to explain the vastly different experiences in shipping times (not ordering supplies?), and makes one pause to think.

I will also be the first one to say that I found NO corroborating info (re: falsified docs) with my limited Google-fu skills. I would not argue for a second, with anyone who wants to dismiss this as an angry employee that is just lashing out at their ex-employer, and continue giving them their business. That is a very real possibility.

I do find it disconcerting, that they have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau, including two accusations of "failure to respond to complaint." That (to me) doesn't sound like a company that is "customer oriented."

Finally, when I was looking to make my big "vape-apocalypse" purchase, and was shopping around; I looked at NN, because of all the early praise they were receiving. Even with my very limited understanding of chemistry, I found myself questioning some of their "science" behind one of their "Chemistry Education" articles (specifically the one on nic storage), compared to what I was reading in the nicotine discussions on ECF. So, I wrote an email to them, with my questions... I never heard a peep.

After getting no reply, I PMed @Kurt (an ECF member who is a university chemistry professor; and engaged in vaping chemistry) and asked him the same questions. He confirmed the majority of my understanding (and did his best to set me straight on the rest:blush:). I guess that is why I never got a reply from NN; they apparently couldn't substantiate their statements.

The only reason I mention this is; if a company is willing to post exaggerated/erroneous science, in order sell more product ("lower mg/mL is better than higher" for longevity; really?), and to up-sell to more expensive packaging (their armor line), then how much of a stretch is it to believe they might be tempted to falsify CoAs (and how easy would it be to do when they are doing their own product analysis)? I personally would put more faith in a trusted third party's analysis.

And let me be clear; I have never heard, or read, anything negative about NN products. My concern is with their questionable business practices.

However, if you find them trustworthy, and their products have value to you, then by all means... give them your business. I mean that in all sincerity.

Tor me, there are just too many other vendors, that can get their stuff shipped out in a timely manner, and don't have any accusations of falsified documents or harmful product, and don't present junky science to sell product; that I choose to spend my money elsewhere. (I am also spending 33-50% less for products that suit me just fine.;)):)

Disclaimer:
All of this is ONLY my opinion
; and should be considered nothing more. I tried to provide sources where I was able. I had questions, did my own research, and came to my own conclusions. If you have questions; I strongly encourage you to do the same. You take my word at your own peril!:D

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Yep +1 for all that, NN use to be the place to go for the best Nic but definitely not anymore. It isn't USP certified its just certified by them. There are a few nicotine's available now that are better than USP quality and they actually are certified lol. COA's are available from most/all Nicselect suppliers and i'm sure you could probably get a hold of one from Chemnovatic suppliers. Last Nic i got from NN lasted less than 6 months before oxidizing and it was in the glass armor bottle in the freezer. Interestingly, Jake the owner once said to me in an email the better quality the nicotine the longer it will last... well, maybe its Chinese nicotine now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread