Where to begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put together some mods using the tutorials on here but I would really like to learn how to create my own. My electronics experience consists of installing car a/v equipment and the small box mods I have put together. I understand how ohms and wattage work with speakers but not a clue what they really mean. I would like to get a good understanding of electronics. So could someone suggest a good place to start?

Would it be good to get one of the beginning electronics kits from radioshack, or get books? I have looked around google and read a few things but just not sure where is a good starting place.

Anyway any help would be great I would really like to learn all I can about electronics but just throwing together mod boxes from tutorials doesn't help me understand why I am using what I using an not something else, even though it's fun

perlionsmitnick

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
TX
I'll give you a few tips about electronics and voltage in general.

Voltage: If you can see (read) the voltage across a switch it is an open circuit, much like an open book. If the book is closed you can't see the voltage.

You can read the voltage however across a load such as a battery or a coil.

Ohms: If your multimeter isn't auto sensing you may be fooled by getting the wrong scale. Most of this e-cig stuff is ohms.

Amps: Find an ohms law calculator, here is a good one. Most people I think shoot for 2 A.

Multiple batt circuits
Series circuit= - < - + - + > +
Parallel circuit= - < - - ; + + > +

Look at a few schematics on ecf and get a grasp of the basics. Good luck. :toast:

You basically have 2 choices:

a: Use 2 - 3.7 li-ion batts and regulate down to around 5 volts.
b: Use 1 - li-ion batt and boost up to around 5 volts or leave at 3.7 - 4 volts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread