Which is king of the Sony VTC 18650 batteries? VTC4A, VTC5A, or VTC6A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    All the the “A” variants outperform their non-A counterparts, e.g., the VTC4A outperforms the VTC4, but which is the best performing “A” variant? Which is the best Sony 18650 as of early March, 2018?

I tested the VTC4A, VTC5A, and VTC6A at 25A down to 3.2V and the winner was clearly the VTC6A. It easily outperforms all of the other Sony VTC 18650’s.

F96733CB-07CE-4092-BE11-4C33C60EE564.jpeg 1D834EB9-F3EE-4655-BE5C-28627BE2FB61.jpeg

The VTC6A and VTC5A are close in performance at the start but the VTC6A’s higher capacity holds its voltage up longer, resulting in longer run time. The VTC4A, due to its lower capacity, was the lowest performer of the three. But the VTC4A is still a damn good cell. It’s just that the other two are even better.

This was a preliminary test with the cells I had available as of mid February, 2018. These cells will be retested when they become more available and these test results are subject to change at any time.

A couple of notes...
    • I do not know who has any of these in stock.
    • I do not know when anyone will have any of these in stock.
    • Your VTC3, VCT4, VTC4A, VTC5, VTC5A, and VTC6 cells are not suddenly crappy performers because of this test. Those are all still good choices.
    • I have not tested the VTC5D, or know its true ratings, but I will post the test results when I do.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Thank you Mooch, looks very interesting. Asked few minutes ago my friend who works a lot with Sony, how come on the VTC4A and VTC6A are no QR-Code (?!)
    He said, that those batteries are so far he knows not in flow production. The US18650VTC6A is not yet UL registered (while VTC4A and VTC5D yes)

Attachments

• Murata_UL.JPG
      Murata_UL.JPG
      119 KB · Views: 88

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thank you Mooch, looks very interesting. Asked few minutes ago my friend who works a lot with Sony, how come on the VTC4A and VTC6A are no QR-Code (?!)
    He said, that those batteries are so far he knows not in flow production. The US18650VTC6A is not yet UL registered (while VTC4A and VTC5D yes)

Thanks. That matches my being told they were early production samples.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread