which Klein Multimeter do I really need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello, I want to get a good basic multimeter. I hear that the Klein meters are good without being as expensive as the Flukes.
I just dont know which one to get.

I was told the model MM1000 Electrician's Multimeter was a good model but it costs 69.89. There is another model called MM200 Auto Ranging Multimeter, this one is 36.07, how much of a difference is there and to just simple get a good reading on the resistance is the difference in price worth it? They both come with the basic leads and would like the alligator clips.

Any help in making my decision would help. Im just not very knowledgeable and dont want to spend on extra features I dont need or get something that has known problems since I dont know enough to know.

Thank you

Here are the links with the specs:
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-M...1361860244&sr=8-2&keywords=Klein+Tools+MM1000

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-M...1361860244&sr=8-1&keywords=Klein+Tools+MM1000

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If all you're going to be doing is checking ohms go for cheap.

Harbor Freight sells a small meter for 4.99 that would be up to the task.

With any meter, if you're looking to check low resistance, you need to first touch the meter leads to each other and note the reading. That's the lead / wire resistance. Then check your coil and subtract that first value from it to get the true coil resistance.

High end meters may have a button to "zero" the reading, so you don't have to do the subtraction yourself. Unless you're using it in an occupation, which doesn't seem to be the case, I'd suggest the cheapest solution.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Thanks for the advise, but do you have the problem of the numbers constantly jumping around? Seems like I have to constantly keep checking an re checking to finally get a reading. Then Im not sure if its accurate. I double check after its built on the carto/atty ohm reader I have and then I get a reading most of the time that is much different. I know that that one is correct because I will use a boge carto that I know what the ohms are, plus I can make sure by trying another boge on. Even when I try to check the boge with a multimeter it will jump around some.

I want to cut my resistance wire more accurately, rather than guessing. I guess I was hoping to find a good quick reading meter without having to spend 70.00. I saw that Harbour freight one, but was hesitant because the price was so low. Do you have one? If anyone has one Id like to know what their experience was with it.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Jumpy readings are usually the result of a poor contact. Try reseating the leads in the meter sockets, and buff out the tips of the probes with an emery board, fine file, or the striker on that book of matches you don't need any more :)

If you touch the leads to each other and the reading still varies, after all of the above, it's possible that one of the leads itself has a poor internal connection at one end.

And, of course, with coils you're probably trying to be gentle when "sticking" them with the leads, which adds to the chance of a bad connection for the meter. Assuming a high degree of manufacturing consistency on the wire, two pieces of exactly the same length should have the same resistance, so once you determine the length for what value you want, that should provide a good starting point.

The Harbor Freight one should work fine - I do have one. The test leads aren't the best in the world, but are serviceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread