Which SS Mesh Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbite

Jun 13, 2011
NJ
Hey all just ordered my first Genesis RBA. I've been wrapping cotton wicks n coils for a while now wanted to step up to SS. I am confused and can't seem to find any solid info on type of mesh for the thickness of juice. I vape 80% VG pritty thick homemade juice. I've read the thicker the juice the lower the number of mesh. Is this true? and how low? I see alot of peple using #400 but I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. Also please include best place purchased and size of Kanthal in the reply thanks

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
#400, #500 and even #635 are popular. I would be hesitant to agree that a lower wire count is better for thicker juice. The mesh company is still competitive, but smaller quantities from eBay or vape sites increases your choices.

For kanthal, I will avoid answering, as it seems people are into just about every imaginable size and shape. You want to make sure your device is safe, so having a reasonable sized coil that has a decent resistance would be a good place to start, then judge which wire will give you that coil.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
#500 was a massive improvement over #400 and I use 100% VG from Mount baker (syrup) and dilute it myself with a sizable amount of distilled water. Probably 25-35%. I've never actually measured it out. I do a very hollow wick in my RSST, wrap a microcoil around it, using 26 GA right now, 13 wraps, and crank up the voltage.

The microcoil really chucks the vapor. The genesis atty is the most pleasurable I've ever had, and I have a Protank II, Russian 91% and a whole host of other attys. I even have an IBTanks carto tank, which is gorgeous, but carto's gum up quick with high VG.

After I make my hollow wick, I usually put another sleeve of mesh inside of the original wick. Restricts down the hollowness of the wick more. I leave my fill cap on my Pyrex RSST on and it chucks the vapor like none other. Picture time!

That's my current build. 26 gauge kanthal microcoil. 12 or 13 wraps, 2.2 ohms. Firing it at 5.4 volts which is madness.

Same build fired up

DIY reducer I built for my top cap. Beer can folded just right, and filled in the gaps with cotton. Warmed up the vape and improved the flavor by a fair margin. Did not cut off any air flow

My old build with 28 gauge. Nice even firing and an incredible amount of heat being pumped to that wick. This one started at 2.5 ohms and climbed to 2.9 ohms in the span of a month. I think it's just the nature of kanthal as it wears out or something. I ran that one at 5.5-5.8 volts and cranked it up to 6.0 on occasion

The genesis seems to roll better with softer flavored juices like caramel, vanilla or banana. The blueberry flavor I have for it is rather harsh. Flavorful, but really thumps your lungs and is almost painful at times. Not so with the softer flavors.

What kind of genesis did you get? And what device are you using it on?

People may look down on me, but I order all my supplies from eBay honestly. I've been using eBay for most of my online purchases and am just comfortable with it. I can get 100' of (pick a gauge) kanthal for under 10 bucks. I got three 6"X6" sheets of #500 mesh for about 9 bucks.

If your going to microcoil, or are using (and are comfortable with) a mechanical mod, go with 28 gauge. If you are just doing standard 3/4 or 4/5 wraps, go with 32 gauge. That's what I learned on. 32 gauge won't microcoil very well because anywhere beyond 5 wraps or so and your ohms climb too high to be reasonable

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread