Who do you think will create a wireless charging mod first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
I was thinking about this last night when I set my phone down on my wireless charging pad. I'm curious to see how long it takes for it to be implemented into mods. We already have voice control and touch screens and speakers in them now. Or will samsung come out with a Galaxy with a 510 on top of it. Maybe smok will start making phones next. It seems like a silly idea, but Chinese companies are sure heading in that direction in my opinion.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I dont think I was even aware that wireless charging was a thing 4 years ago. I'm not saying it's a good idea either as my phone does get warm using it, we all know hot batterys are a wonderful thing...
    Yep, here's the charge pad they sold for it:
    Wireless Charger

Reactions: stols001

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2018
    I was thinking about this last night when I set my phone down on my wireless charging pad. I'm curious to see how long it takes for it to be implemented into mods. We already have voice control and touch screens and speakers in them now. Or will samsung come out with a Galaxy with a 510 on top of it. Maybe SMOK will start making phones next. It seems like a silly idea, but Chinese companies are sure heading in that direction in my opinion.
    no worry none of any mod sold for 1000 dollar yet.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I've had a wireless charger for my Xbox360 controllers for years now. Wireless charging is not exactly new tech.

As for the phone vape, that's been out for a while too as an iPhone case. Now they recently made one that takes pods.

download (6).jpeg
    289091b4b4e5cf51d7a14b1bca67d142_large.jpg
    iphone-kit-vq-vape-case-3.jpg

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    To me it's just a gimmick. A way to make consumers pay a few bucks extra to your company for a feature that isn't really needed in most mods. Of my 7 not a single one has an internal battery and I don't plan to buy one in the future that has. I prefer to charge my batteries in an external charger with plenty of air circulation instead of the confined space inside a mod. Aka free range batteries :D

What vaping needs is innovation/progress in the technology, not more toy features like a camera with hair cut suggestions based on emotion sensing or an onboard fart flavor extractor. Just do one job and do it well.

An industry standard for a better connection than the 510 or a standard 1/2/3 battery pack with a state of the art protection and information system would be more important issues.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Batteries for mobile phones are made specifically for that model. This allows a much tighter control for a company such as Samsung can implement an efficient way of wireless charging for they know what the battery can handle.

If wireless charging was implemented for mods, it would have to output and at a low level in order to safely accommodate the various different specs of batteries. Not very efficient for a large capacity battery would take forever to charge. Way around this would be to integrate batteries into the mod, which if I had to guess, many of us do not want.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2018

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I don't use (and most folks don't use) wireless charging for phones that have been available for a while. I suppose they could be handy but I wouldn't know. I already consider Bluetooth some sort of strange witchery or voodoo and etc. I wish more folks would BACKWARD engineer their technology frankly. I found a floppy disk for a mac in college and I am dying to know what's on it but good luck, me.

LOL I suppose I could ask any ONE of the males in my immediate or bio family and they would give me terse instructions on how to "make it so," etc.. but that seems like a LOT of effort for one floppy disk, even if I have to go take it somewhere that converts it. I mean I know technology gets outdated, but I am also one who thinks technology can get super OVERTHOUGHT and that's a shame etc. I know, I know I know... it's better everyone says so I even LIKE my new phone already but sometimes I believe things can get a bit pointless like building boards more powerful than any set of batteries can support. What is the point ? How is that better? Isn't it kind of actually worse?

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Seems like away to waste around 20% of the energy and stress the battery
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_without_wires
    For household and business use, the California Energy Commission (CEC), Level V, mandates that AC adapters must meet a minimum efficiency of 85 percent; Energy Star Level V requires 87 percent (European CE uses CEC as a base). Adding the losses of the AC adapter to wireless charging brings the overall efficiency down further as the inductive transfer efficiency of inductive charging is only 75–80 percent. Such a loss adds up when considering that an estimated one billion mobile phone chargers are plugged into AC outlets worldwide. To improve efficiency and comply with the Energy Star requirements, WPC combines the power needs into a single power conversion.

Lost energy turns into heat, and a wireless charger can get quite warm during charging. This causes stress on the device’s battery as it sits on the mat. It should be noted that the heat buildup only occurs during charging; the charging pad cools down once the battery is fully charged.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    I was thinking about this last night when I set my phone down on my wireless charging pad. I'm curious to see how long it takes for it to be implemented into mods. We already have voice control and touch screens and speakers in them now. Or will samsung come out with a Galaxy with a 510 on top of it. Maybe SMOK will start making phones next. It seems like a silly idea, but Chinese companies are sure heading in that direction in my opinion.
    There have already been at least 3 mods with wireless charging.

The Aspire Pegasus used a dock.
    The Ovanty Vega uses a dock.
    The Esige Eiffel uses a Qi charger.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
    Jun 25, 2018
    I don't use (and most folks don't use) wireless charging for phones that have been available for a while.

Anna

I use wireless charging on my Samsung Galaxy S7. It's good and works well. The reason I use it is because I don't want to wear out or damage the micro usb port on my phone(known to happen), which I only use for uploading music or ring tones on my Phone. Though I rarely do.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread