Why a mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Utah
So I am about a month into vaping. I started with some twists and now a tesla. Igo-L and aga-T+ are my go to attys. but I am thinking about picking up a mech mod but not sure why I should?

I understand sub ohm could heat up faster but is the vape that much better? As much as I enjoy the "dance" with finding the best spot with VW the simplicity could be nice. But what is it that makes mechs better or different?

DlyDragger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
Zeeland, MI
I'm in the same boat and there seems to be TONS of arguments for both sides. I was talking withe the fellas atKVS yesterday and mentioned I planned to pick up a Provari soon. Both said that they ditched the Provari's for mechanicals. I started looking into mechanicals and now I'm on the fence. I see the VMOD's a quite popular and the cost is significantly less, not to mention the amount of juice that they can carry. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Buy both?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If you are not planning to Vape over 10 watts or so, or do not need to run Sub ohm coils then there is no need for a Mechanical other than minimal parts to wear out.

Sub ohms coils - allow for over driving rather low voltage batteries to maximize output at loss of time usable.
Extreme watts - allows for Boiling off much higher quantities of e-Liquid.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Here is a comparison of 2 of mine. A ProVari Mini in 350 mode and a Nemesis in 490 mode.
ede8uquv.jpg

- Andy

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
yes, the vape is that much better. when set up correctly, sub-ohm coils will vaporize more juice, giving a much cleaner and more intense flavor, as well as much more vapor and throat hit (most people find that they need to reduce the nicotine one or two steps when switching to sub-ohm). after you've experienced it, it's difficult to go back to vv/vw, the flavor just seems muted.

if you do decide to go sub-ohm, please be safe about it. there's a ton of safety information in the forums and online, so please make sure you understand what you're doing before diving in.

Cavere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Utah
yes, the vape is that much better. when set up correctly, sub-ohm coils will vaporize more juice, giving a much cleaner and more intense flavor, as well as much more vapor and throat hit (most people find that they need to reduce the nicotine one or two steps when switching to sub-ohm). after you've experienced it, it's difficult to go back to vv/vw, the flavor just seems muted.

if you do decide to go sub-ohm, please be safe about it. there's a ton of safety information in the forums and online, so please make sure you understand what you're doing before diving in.

Thanks for the info. I don't really know if I want more TH but I can adjust coils accordingly. Plus I am loving the flavor on the aga wrapped to about 1.6 ohms.

I am thorough and safe with everything I do am have already been reading information in case this is a road I want to travel down. I guess I am just hesitant to believe in the improvements.

Zencoder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Brooklyn
Tinker versus Push the button... that's how I lay it down. If you like to tinker, experiment, built things etc... a mechanical is the way to go. If you want a nice safe, clean, easy vape... go VV/VW. I'm pretty much all mechanical, but not a cloud chaser. Frankly running 1.2-1.8 ohms on my Kayfuns has a nice cool vape with plenty of flavor (what I'm going for). I think I've stayed with mechanicals and started adding to the collection because I have an appreciation for the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into both the mods and the RBAs. Tear apart a Kayfun or an Ithaka and you have to marvel at what went into building it. Because there is no such thing as the universal perfect vape, just the personal one, find you niche and embrace it. I'm going for metal to add to this (note: evic head getting replaced by the Mecha if/when that thing ever comes out).

Gotham City Metal
ComI0Au.jpg

Saleen121212

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
Here is a comparison of 2 of mine. A ProVari Mini in 350 mode and a Nemesis in 490 mode.
ede8uquv.jpg

- Andy

OH that nemesis is hot. I have a matte one on the way!

As far as the ops question is concerned, the simple answer is subohms which you cant use on regulated devices, or at least most regulated devices I know of.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
I would just like to add that going sub-ohm or even super low (1.0 -1.2ohm) will burn through the liquid like nobody's business. I went from 2-3 ml per day on standard LR (1.8ohm) equipment to 7-10ml per day on my gennies with a 1.1ohm average coil. DIY was a must if I had any hopes of not breaking the bank in liquid purchases. Also cut back from 18 to 10mg because I was getting dizzy in the first 4 or 5 puffs.
Otherwise, I would never give up my mechs and RBAs. It is definitely an experience!

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
Tinker versus Push the button... that's how I lay it down. If you like to tinker, experiment, built things etc... a mechanical is the way to go. If you want a nice safe, clean, easy vape... go VV/VW. I'm pretty much all mechanical, but not a cloud chaser. Frankly running 1.2-1.8 ohms on my Kayfuns has a nice cool vape with plenty of flavor (what I'm going for). I think I've stayed with mechanicals and started adding to the collection because I have an appreciation for the craftsmanship and engineering that goes into both the mods and the RBAs. Tear apart a Kayfun or an Ithaka and you have to marvel at what went into building it. Because there is no such thing as the universal perfect vape, just the personal one, find you niche and embrace it. I'm going for metal to add to this (note: evic head getting replaced by the Mecha if/when that thing ever comes out).

Gotham City Metal
ComI0Au.jpg

What the heck is that on top of the stainless Ba Gua?

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
Thanks for the info. I don't really know if I want more TH but I can adjust coils accordingly. Plus I am loving the flavor on the aga wrapped to about 1.6 ohms.

I am thorough and safe with everything I do am have already been reading information in case this is a road I want to travel down. I guess I am just hesitant to believe in the improvements.

the extra th can be mitigated by lowering nicotine. for example on a vv/vw device with a 1.5-2 ohm carto, i like 18mg. on a .7-.9 ohm genesis (my absolute favorite in terms of balanced flavor and vapor), around 12 mg gives me the same amount of th. on a .4-.6 ohm dripper, though, i go all the way down to 6mg (sometimes even lower).

i personally wouldn't necessarily say that the flavor is "better" at sub-ohm, i think "more intense" is a better description. for the most part, i enjoy the intensity (going back to a carto or a clearo makes most flavors seem muted), but there definitely are some flavors that aren't enjoyable when you vape them sub-ohm.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Since getting my mech mods,

I have noticed that i don`t even bother with my unregulated stuff much these days.

It is just the simplicity of putting a battery in, add a low resistance cart/coil and you are set to go.

On the rda subject, i dug out my phoenix V1 today and built a coil of 3ml silica and 3 wraps of kanthal (not sure of the gauge)

But wowee, nearly melted my lungs LOL. I forgot you are best using low nic in these things. I loaded it with 18mg cough cough. And after about 5 minutes of producing some lovely clouds, i had to put it away, till i get some low nic.

Yeah it is definately the way forward, and as there are no wires/circuits to worry about breaking. I would encourage anyone to get 1 or 6 mech`s:evil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread