Why are we still talking Voltage and Resistance instead of Wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaGetHealthy

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
Voltage is voltage, and resistance (ohms) is resistance, but neither tells the whole story!

I see so many people talking about vaping at 6V or 7.4V ect while totally ignoring how much resistance their atty/carto's heating element is rated for. I see almost as many people obsessing over the resistance rating of this carto/atty or that carto/atty. The bottom line is that it is the relationship of voltage and resistance (wattage) that truly tells the story when it comes to how much heat with which you are cooking your juice.

For those that don't know (and believe me, as I am practically a noob, I didn't until recently), Wattage is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. For example: for a 6V mod with a 3.5ohm(HV) atty (6^2)/3.5=10.2 and some change. This amount of wattage does me quite nicely with the delicate, sweet juices that I like. In a pack of LR joye 510's I found one that actually clocks in at 1.3ohms according my my measurements. I put this baby on a 3.7V mod and low and behold it tasted and preformed exactly like the setup I used in my example. This makes sense because (3.7^2)/1.3=10.5........negligible difference in my opinion.

What I am getting at is that maybe as a community, we ought to be talking in terms of watts instead of voltage/resistance. Instead of, for instance "this juice I tried rocked my socks off at 3.7V, but it tasted like burnt camel dung at 6V" we could say "this juice rocked my socks off at 8W, but when I tried it at 13W it tasted like burnt camel dung". If I was interested in having my socks rocked off by the particular juice in question, the first statement would have left me with the question.....what resistance did your atty/carto clock in at durring this test run? The later statement would have given me all the info I needed to replicate the amount of heat it required to get my feet bare.

IDK, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but it is a thought, and as this is the general discussion area, I sorta figured I'd feel y'all out and see what there was to be said.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Voltage is voltage, and resistance (ohms) is resistance, but neither tells the whole story!

I see so many people talking about vaping at 6V or 7.4V ect while totally ignoring how much resistance their atty/carto's heating element is rated for. I see almost as many people obsessing over the resistance rating of this carto/atty or that carto/atty. The bottom line is that it is the relationship of voltage and resistance (wattage) that truly tells the story when it comes to how much heat with which you are cooking your juice.

For those that don't know (and believe me, as I am practically a noob, I didn't until recently), Wattage is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. For example: for a 6V mod with a 3.5ohm(HV) atty (6^2)/3.5=10.2 and some change. This amount of wattage does me quite nicely with the delicate, sweet juices that I like. In a pack of LR joye 510's I found one that actually clocks in at 1.3ohms according my my measurements. I put this baby on a 3.7V mod and low and behold it tasted and preformed exactly like the setup I used in my example. This makes sense because (3.7^2)/1.3=10.5........negligible difference in my opinion.

What I am getting at is that maybe as a community, we ought to be talking in terms of watts instead of voltage/resistance. Instead of, for instance "this juice I tried rocked my socks off at 3.7V, but it tasted like burnt camel dung at 6V" we could say "this juice rocked my socks off at 8W, but when I tried it at 13W it tasted like burnt camel dung". If I was interested in having my socks rocked off by the particular juice in question, the first statement would have left me with the question.....what resistance did your atty/carto clock in at durring this test run? The later statement would have given me all the info I needed to replicate the amount of heat it required to get my feet bare.

IDK, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but it is a thought, and as this is the general discussion area, I sorta figured I'd feel y'all out and see what there was to be said.

Getting a bit more complex then that now. Put 8 volts into a new dual coil cartomizer from smoktech. Darwin says 12.7 watts, and 4.5 volts into a 1.5 ohm. So I guess my new "dream wattage" is 25 watts. Watts used to be a valid perspective on "power", but doesn't really apply here. I push 25 watts through any other 1.5 ohm on the planet and it would instant pop. These don't even burn the juice, gets warm, but no burning or nuking attys. 10 watts on a dual coil is not the same as 10 watts on a single. I would imagine tripple coils will come soon, haha. They vape fantastic at 3 volts as well, odd little cartomizers they are.

Darwin and Provari are benched because even they didn't know something like this was coming.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Probably the the biggest reason we talk in relationship to voltage is it's easier to measure. With a multimeter one can get the voltage output of the PV and the resistance of the atty and easily figure out the wattage using a online calculator like the one linked below. Once people learn the formula the online calculator is no longer needed.

I think there is quite abit of talk outside of the newby forum on wattage, it comes up all the time. But most have meters that measure voltage and resistance. Once you have that the rest is easy.

Ohm's Law / Watt's Law Calculator

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Getting a bit more complex then that now. Put 8 volts into a new dual coil cartomizer from smoktech. Darwin says 12.7 watts, and 4.5 volts into a 1.5 ohm. So I guess my new "dream wattage" is 25 watts. Watts used to be a valid perspective on "power", but doesn't really apply here. I push 25 watts through any other 1.5 ohm on the planet and it would instant pop. These don't even burn the juice, gets warm, but no burning or nuking attys. 10 watts on a dual coil is not the same as 10 watts on a single. I would imagine tripple coils will come soon, haha. They vape fantastic at 3 volts as well, odd little cartomizers they are.

Darwin and Provari are benched because even they didn't know something like this was coming.

Hehe... how very true. My favorite wattage has always been 5-6 Watts. Now I put my dual-coil carto (1.5Ω) on my 3.7v PV and it feels cool...at 9 Watts. Go figure...

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA

Have you tried them on a bottom feeder yet? I was considering giving them a try on my Monkeyboxx VV, but I'd like to know if they'll work with a BF before I order them. I have always used attys but am interested in t he dual coils.

WannaGetHealthy

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Texas
I have noticed some talk about watts, but I still seem to run in to more references to "high voltage vaping" than any mention of wattage. *shrugs* Maybe it's just the threads that catch my eye and it's more prevalent than I am aware. Regarding the dual coil catos: that is interesting and you def have a point. I'm an atty only kinda guy (I tried real hard to find a carto that I like as much as attys, but alas, to no avail), so it really doesn't apply to my personal vaping habits YET. Plus, to be honest, I really don't know enough about the theory behind those new gadgets. I've heard some limited talk, so I only KINDA understand what's going on in there to do what it does (yeah, I'm no electrician). Anyway, thanx for the feedback.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
With the Dual coils.. if they are both the same resistance you can take your wattage figure and divide by two and that is your actual vaping wattage. It will actually be a little higher than that as the coils are close enough together that the total heat will be a litter higher than half the total wattage.

To get real accurate I think you would need to measure the voltage drop at each coil. It's been way to many years from my time playing with component level electronics i'm making my head hurt trying to remember this stuff.

I think if you tried the math for each coil individually you should come out pretty close to half of the total.:blink:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
With the Dual coils.. if they are both the same resistance you can take your wattage figure and divide by two and that is your actual vaping wattage. It will actually be a little higher than that as the coils are close enough together that the total heat will be a litter higher than half the total wattage.

To get real accurate I think you would need to measure the voltage drop at each coil. It's been way to many years from my time playing with component level electronics i'm making my head hurt trying to remember this stuff.

I think if you tried the math for each coil individually you should come out pretty close to half of the total.:blink:

I'm far from an expert but I think you're on the right track here. Another variable might be the controlling circuitry in the batteries. If we take the joye ego for example, my understanding is that the current is actually pulsed to the load. If that's true, then it would help explain how the vapor can be relatively cool and higher in volume at the same time.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Where Rt = total resistance, and R1 = 1st resistor (coil), R2 = 2nd resistor, etc.

In series, Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 . . . + RN

In parallel:
for two coils: Rt = (R1 x R2) / (R1 + R2)
for more than two: Rt = 1 / ((1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3) . . . + (1/RN))

Where R1 = R2, Rt = 0.5 x R1.

Has anyone thought of staged coils? A very low resistance coil on a thin wick so it'll vaporize a small amount instantly, a higher resistance on a normal wick, and a higher resistance on another normal wick.

If each wick feeds from a different chamber, you'd get a fast and hot hit of high-nicotine vapor followed by a large volume of regularly flavored no-nic and ending with a subtle overtone of a second flavor.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland

And here is the problem. I suspect that your opinion differs from most of us who vape at higher voltage. Wattage is a useful guide but it does not tell the whole story.

kot1rc5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2010
FL
Have you tried them on a bottom feeder yet? I was considering giving them a try on my Monkeyboxx VV, but I'd like to know if they'll work with a BF before I order them. I have always used attys but am interested in t he dual coils.

I am on my second 6ml bottle of DK-TAB 18mg PG through a xl dual coil carto on a REOGrand. I did fill the carto first via condom fill method.
I vape about 10 - 20 draws and then to re-wet the filler I squeeze and draw(no power) to get the juice up to the top of the filler and then let it soak in. repeat. It took me vaping through the first 6ml bottle to get the hang of it.
The vapor is not as hot (less TH) as a LR atty but the vapor is wetter and fuller like VG, makes for a good show on exhale.
I have found that I'm changing batteries more often now. The DC carto must draw more amps than the LR atty.
Things to experiment with: shorter drip tip/no tip, higher VG mix.

I will buy more of dual coil cartos.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Ohms law and his wattage calculation isn't opinion. Truth be known this forum is full of people who have no understanding of how e-cigs function or what a watt is. It's refreshing to have members who understand the technicalities of the hobby we call vaping. It is not opinion that wattage is the most accurate, complete and best way to communicate heat transfer. I think what the OP was refering to when he said "negligible difference in my opinion", was the difference between 10.2 and 10.5 or .3 watts. I have to agree with him that a 3% variance will be unoticable by the vaper.

And here is the problem. I suspect that your opinion differs from most of us who vape at higher voltage. Wattage is a useful guide but it does not tell the whole story.

atomizer mizer

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
USofA, Alabama
Any chance an administrator could make this a sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread