Why can't I get big clouds with my mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
Especially for an admitted beginner.

Yup

But we have to remember why this amazing community was designed for....A place for newbies and veterans alike can get together to teach and learn. I never knock a setup or device...ever. Just try to help by giving some of my knowledge to others who want it. Not saying I'm a guru, but I've been doing this long enough and gotten together with folks I would consider gurus to help where I can. ;)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So last week I bought my first mechanical mod.. an infinite stingray mechanical mod clone and I could never get those big clouds you'd see other people who have mods get. I use an 18 mg nicotine with 50% PG and 50% VG (I also have juice with 100% VG and juice with 0 nicotine but those are 50% VG) and I use the purple efest 18650 3.7V 2500mAh battery. I've fully charged the battery and I still don't know why I can't get big clouds. I didn't try the 0 nicotine juice with it yet, just the 18 mg nicotine 50 vg. Am I doing something wrong to not get big clouds?

To get big clouds you need bigs watts.
and coils that work at big watts.

Sounds like you should not be using a mechanical mod.

themightyturtle

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2015
Bryson City, NC
Yup

But we have to remember why this amazing community was designed for....A place for newbies and veterans alike can get together to teach and learn. I never knock a setup or device...ever. Just try to help by giving some of my knowledge to others who want it. Not saying I'm a guru, but I've been doing this long enough and gotten together with folks I would consider gurus to help where I can. ;)
Agreed. I just keep picturing some clueless salesman with a pitch. "You'll be fine. It's just a battery and a tube. Pure power, lots of clouds. You'll love it! That'll be $129." KWIM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
1: Buy real batteries
2: Build safe.
3: Lean ohm's law Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
4: Build safe.
5: Understand that building lower = more watts.
6: Build safe.
7: Just cause it's a "Mech mod" dose not mean it will make clouds, clouds have more to do with the tank/rda+build+juice your using.
8: Come to terms that a mech mod is pretty much outdated and more of a vanity item, thanks to regulated mods.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
I'm going to add one caution. Please use the regular top cap on your Stingray with any clearomizer you put on it, NOT the hybrid connector. We've seen multiple violent battery venting incidents with people trying to use clearo tanks on pseudo hybrid mechs.
It's like a how not to blow clouds 101:
Buy bad or rewarapped batteries.
Buy a hybrid mech mod clone.
Put a build on there and pray for clouds and no venting/explosion.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
It's like a how not to blow clouds 101:
Buy bad or rewarapped batteries.
Buy a hybrid mech mod clone.
Put a build on there and pray for clouds and no venting/explosion.

Well, the X does also come with a regular top cap. Its quite a nice one, too, with a floating pin and a lot of airflow for those few attys that need it.

I have several Efests that are actually LGs. They've been great 20A batteries.

But, the vape shop did a disservice to this new vapor sending him/her out the door with this setup and no education.

iamteresah

Aug 28, 2015
Get a couple of Sony VTC4 batteries, an RDA, some 24awg kanthal wire and some organic cotton. Then just go to Youtube to learn how to build a coil or two in your RDA, or ask here.

I think if you've bought a mech you may as well make use of it, if you want clouds then that's the way to go.
I am not good with building things especially when I don't really know what to do.. Where can I get those types of batteries? and I'm thinking on getting a Dark Horse RDA by Steam Angel but idk how good of an RDA it is cause it doesn't say on the online shop it's on

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I am not good with building things especially when I don't really know what to do.. Where can I get those types of batteries? and I'm thinking on getting a Dark Horse RDA by Steam Angel but idk how good of an RDA it is cause it doesn't say on the online shop it's on

Just curious...why do you want to get the Dark Horse if you don't know if it's any good? :)

Reliable vendors for batteries include...
    IMRBatteries
    Illumn
    Orbtronic
    RTDVapor
    Liionwholesale

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    I would take some time to learn a lot more before you jump into buying more gear. It is not overly hard to learn how to rebuild coils but that is just the beginning, you need to have a much larger knowledge base on how mech mods/batteries/atomisers work together or you are asking for trouble. It is not as simple as buy it because it looks good when you get into this area of vaping.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

You could check the reviews from Rip Trippers, PBusardo, Mark Todd, Pauly Meatballs, and others to get an idea of whether the Dark Horse is what you're looking for.

iamteresah

Aug 28, 2015
    Just curious...why do you want to get the Dark Horse if you don't know if it's any good? :)

Reliable vendors for batteries include...
    IMRBatteries
    Illumn
    Orbtronic
    RTDVapor
    Liionwholesale
    Because a lot of people suggested I get an RDA so I went looking for RDAs and I want to make sure I get the best one, so far that's the only one I have found. But I am still looking before buying.

Reactions: David Wolf

iamteresah

Aug 28, 2015
    I would take some time to learn a lot more before you jump into buying more gear. It is not overly hard to learn how to rebuild coils but that is just the beginning, you need to have a much larger knowledge base on how mech mods/batteries/atomisers work together or you are asking for trouble. It is not as simple as buy it because it looks good when you get into this area of vaping.
    Well I am looking to find the best RDA I can find, I haven't bought anything yet. I am not saying I like it cause it looks good, So far it's the best one I've found in the shop I normally get my stuff from.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    Because a lot of people suggested I get an RDA so I went looking for RDAs and I want to make sure I get the best one, so far that's the only one I have found. But I am still looking before buying.
    keep in mind 'the best one' is really going to be kind of subjective and not an absolute - there are a number of really great rdas out there (and more in production/ development, lol) - and a lot of it will also depend on the coil build you put on it... give yourself some time, do your homework, keep asking questions - and welcome!

the dark horse rda/ clones are generally one I recommend for newer drippers - very decent deck to build on, get started with and learn

Reactions: YoursTruli

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    The more important questions is:

Why would you even want to?

Blowing clouds burns through juice so fast that smoking is often a cheaper alternative.

Same thing with batteries.

You do NOT need to blow clouds to be considered a vaper, or to stay off of cigarettes.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    Please take your time and learn all you can to make the best educated decisions for yourself. Not only can you end up wasting a lot of money on gear when you find it doesn't suit you, like this set up, but you run the risk of getting hurt if you don't know what you are doing. There is so much info out there now on vape gear between here and youtube you can learn a lot and a ton of online vendors to choose from once you find something you know you will like.

Reactions: iamteresah

iamteresah

Aug 28, 2015
    The more important questions is:

Why would you even want to?

Blowing clouds burns through juice so fast that smoking is often a cheaper alternative.

Same thing with batteries.

You do NOT need to blow clouds to be considered a vaper, or to stay off of cigarettes.
    Because I like clouds :) and I stay away from actual cigarettes, they make me nauseous, so I stick with vaping.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread