The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Why ceramic cup?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by Impulso, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Impulso

Impulso Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    I've noticed quite a few rebuildables have ceramic cups. Other than the added need to have nr-r-nr wires, what is the benefit? Is there more vapor? flavor?

2. ambientech

ambientech Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2011
    somewhere
    Some claim better flavor but that is personal opinion. When I compare my kayfun to the Ithaka, the Ithaka has a muted flavor. Now there could be, and I am almost sure the're other things going on that affect the flavor. The only way to know for sure would be to have two devices built identical, one with ceramic and the other not.

3. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    As far as I know, it's mainly used as an electrical insulator. I.e, the way the Odysseus/Terminator is made, you need a way to conduct electricity from the 510 connectors positive and negative terminal to the coil without shorting it out. Hence the NR wires to bridge the distance from the connector without adding resistance/heating up non-coil wires, and the ceramic cup to keep one of the wires insulated from metal in the atty.

Not the best explanation... would be so much easier to illustrate with some gesticulation and such.

4. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    Thanks for the replies. There seem to be many ways to avoid using a ceramic cup, and increasing the complexity of the RBA that I was confused about the need, and the benefit. I guess its really a personal thing that the designers chose to do.

If anyone has tried building an RBA - Ithaka/Sophia etc without the ceramic cup, and then with - I'd be very interested in hearing what they found, regardless if its anecdotal.

5. generic mutant

generic mutant Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    UK
  6. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I always thought it was the thermal insulation more than anything else. The same reason ceramic is used in the little ceramic disc heaters. Whatever it is, most of the devices that use it seem to get mostly good reviews.

I'm crazy over the kayfun type design at the moment, and I just seen Todds review of the rose atomiser. I'm going to keep an eye on that one.

7. generic mutant

generic mutant Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    UK
    Dare I say it, I think I've hit kit saturation point for now.

The KFL+, Cyclone/Cyclops and Reomizer, between them, are 'good enough' for me. I'm sure there will be marginal improvements, and I might upgrade once per year or two, but I don't feel like chasing new kit any more.

Saying that, the Rose does sound pretty cool ;)

8. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I've got two funalikes coming, one ehpro and one tobeco, so I'll probably cool my heels for a while as well. At least until next year lol. :vapor:

9. Impulso

Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    I have a KFL+ that I am totally satisfied with, and I am looking for a backup. Some of the really good reviewed RBAs seem to have the ceramic cups. I am debating getting one, as it means another bunch of wires that I don't want to get. I already have about 100ft of 32,30 and 28 kanthal that should last me a few decades..Why add more to the mix and create more clutter?

I sure would love to try it to see what all the hooplah is about though. If its worth it, then I might as well as bite the bullet, or just get another KFL+/Russian etc for my backup.

10. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    The main reason for a ceramic base on a Reomizer 2 is that it's one less metal surface to short to. I am not enamoured with having to wrap r-nr coils because it's time consuming and fiddly.

T

11. dutch onsea

dutch onsea Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    gent/Belgium
    I have just the same setup in my penelope V2 and V3. Same coil, same wick, same juice. Anyone who says the ceramic doesn`t make no difference is invited to my place to come and try it out. The V2 with the ceramic just tastes better...

12. dutch onsea

dutch onsea Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    gent/Belgium
    And yes, to attach the NR-wires to the microcoil in the V2 is a bit more fiddly, but it definately pays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.