why DNA250C mods not flooding market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
WHY is it so hard to find triple 18650 DNA250C MODS? I'm talking non-custom ones. They're all sold out and this is basically the current best board, you would think there'd be tons of brands making 250C MODs but there's not many choices for either dual or triple 18650. And the ones they did make, most places they're sold out (fasttech, gearbeast, etc) --- so is dna making something new soon? I doubt that, so why don't these brands just crank out more of these MODS?
No, they're not ALL sold out but they're hard to find. Most sites though they're sold out unless you want to pay an extra $60 more than people paid over a year ago for these MODs.

Another thing that's strange is the hcigar VT250s (a 250, not 250C) can do dual or triple18650 depending on which battery door you use - it's surprisingly small for a dual 18650 MOD. about 1.5 year ago, I wanted a compact but powerful MOD and looked into 26650 MODS (pretty sure it was 26650s I was considering) only to realize after nit picking dimensions for hours that the VT250s in dual mode was actually SMALLER than all the 26650s, and holds more battery life. Very smart design except that the plastic clip that holds the dual 18650 door on cracked way too easily.
WHY wouldn't they keep making this type of MOD? It's also IMHO more ergonomic in hand than the dual 18650 flask-type Paranormal etc MODS everyone likes. Can get a hybrid 2/3 cell MOD like the VT250s and use it for big builds or long battery life or use it in dual mode instead and it's compact. Just doesn't make sense to me why no one has copied this design yet would be perfect for the Traide or Finder etc 250c MODs.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
why don't these brands just crank out more of these MODS?
I will venture a guess: Because they can't make any money doing it. Evolv makes their boards in the US, so DNA boards themselves cost considerably more than a generic Chinese board. In order to make a profit, a DNA based mod has to be higher priced, but few people are willing to pay that price.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Yep unfortunately I somewhat agree with @Rossum here. Mods with a DNA included, whichever board are always at least 30 dollars more expensive if not a bit more. Also, I don't think that the global market for DNA boards is necessarily thought of in the same way in other countries.....China, Taiwan for example.

However here's a DNA 75 which is a 26650 which is available right now on FT and it's a lovely little mod....i've got one on the way.

$64.26 Authentic SBody Legend II DNA75 75W VW TC APV Box Mod - 1-75W / 200-600'F / 1*18650/26650 / zinc alloy + resin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Good luck to you :)

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I've read that the software is proprietary, quirky, and poorly documented. And the steep royalty fees built into those boards require any manufacturer to price well beyond what mainstream wallets are willing to pay, and then even higher to compensate for the resultant low demand. DNA mods have great TC that'll work properly even at high wattages if you put in the time to get it right, but accomplish little that a variable power curve can't do. For low-wattage TC, the generics are good enough especially when used with the manufacturer-supplied coil.

Edit: Judging by the funny ratings I've been caught talking out of my ..... Indeed, I've never used a DNA or any TC.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
WHY is it so hard to find triple 18650 DNA250C MODS? I'm talking non-custom ones. They're all sold out and this is basically the current best board, you would think there'd be tons of brands making 250C MODs but there's not many choices for either dual or triple 18650. And the ones they did make, most places they're sold out (fasttech, gearbeast, etc) --- so is DNA making something new soon? I doubt that, so why don't these brands just crank out more of these MODS?
No, they're not ALL sold out but they're hard to find. Most sites though they're sold out unless you want to pay an extra $60 more than people paid over a year ago for these MODs.

Another thing that's strange is the Hcigar VT250s (a 250, not 250C) can do dual or triple18650 depending on which battery door you use - it's surprisingly small for a dual 18650 MOD. about 1.5 year ago, I wanted a compact but powerful MOD and looked into 26650 MODS (pretty sure it was 26650s I was considering) only to realize after nit picking dimensions for hours that the VT250s in dual mode was actually SMALLER than all the 26650s, and holds more battery life. Very smart design except that the plastic clip that holds the dual 18650 door on cracked way too easily.
WHY wouldn't they keep making this type of MOD? It's also IMHO more ergonomic in hand than the dual 18650 flask-type Paranormal etc MODS everyone likes. Can get a hybrid 2/3 cell MOD like the VT250s and use it for big builds or long battery life or use it in dual mode instead and it's compact. Just doesn't make sense to me why no one has copied this design yet would be perfect for the Traide or Finder etc 250c MODs.

China produces in batched runs. The machining used to manufacture these products is only good for so long. Replacing that machining a manufacture needs to ensure to make enough and sell enough to re-coup that cost. This becomes more of a challenge when dealing with a higher priced product, especially in a low-priced market

You are also looking for a specific configuration of DNA, which makes your choice even more limited.

Not sure where you are located, if the US I can link you to a Canadian retailer that has both the Lost Vape Triade and Think Vape Finder in stock if interested.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My thought is, (and it's just thought) there isn't that much of a market for 3 battery mods. Most 3 battery mod chasers (and I did say most) are probably like, using wattage mode and don't feel the need for accurate TC. I mean... It's just a thought but I'd kind of think if there was a huge demand for them, they would be there.

Anna

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It’s all very subjective. I am of belief a device needs to hold a certain value to an end user. Said value does not necessarily have to come from a specific feature such as Evolves excellent TC performance.

I own 2 Triades – I think they are awesome devices. 3 cells does carry extra weight, but in comparison to say a Geekvape Aegis Legend the penalty is not that vast at ~ +45g both fully loaded and sans atomizer. I feel the more rounded Triade feels better in the hand, despite the lack of corinthian leather found on the Legend so the weight is not really noticed. And the more balanced foot print gives it more stability.

I do not exploit the 300 watts that is on tap - in fact on average I probably only use 15 to 20 % of that power. But 3 cells gives me much extended run time, especially with Evolves excellent efficiency. And there is less demand on the individual cells in comparison to a dual cell device running the same power.

The Escribe software is a massive asset – and not just for setting up TC, but also to see how the device is performing, keeping it up to date with the latest Service Packs, and customizing to your liking. All of this, along with excellent performance in TC, Replay and even wattage (yes, you can detect differences even in wattage), makes a DNA device worth it’s selling price. But that is a price some are not willing to pay. However, that lack of willingness may also be due to not understanding the features and values they may bring. And that is cool as well! :thumb:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Mainstream Chinese companies work on slim margins and compete on design and a feature list that buyers appear to respond to. If there's a TC setting, they're good to sell. They don't do higher priced goods. The Chinese companies that will do a higher price product and put a bit more into the design budget are limited for the most part to Lost Vape and Think Vape, although they also do lower price point lines. HCigar also kicked in on a few offerings along the way.

Clearly you find DNA offerings among higher price point manufacturers not in the mainstream Chinese production lines out of places like the Philippines with VA or as pointed out the custom box market where the customers are demanding of what they want but are willing to pay for it to be done.

The market has also shifted the last year or so. Evolv jumped into the pod market with a great product but mixed success. Lost Vape ran with a great design and their own simpler chip to reach a competitive price point. Even they had to recognize price ranges consumers expected for a given style device, especially pods. Of course now half the pod systems coming out look like carbon copies of the original Orion but priced to compete in that market.

Top that off by pending regulation in the US and then ask why the mainstream vape makers in China aren't lining up to make an expensive mod using a US chipset that the average vaper wouldn't know why they should pay so much for one. The truth is if it weren't for Lost Vape and a handful of other smaller Chinese builders who wanted to differentiate themselves in the market, it would still be a product found only in custom boxes bought by people familiar with and wanting advanced temp control.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
true true, most people just don't need the DNA features. most shops/websites would rather sell more $50 non DNA MODS than $125 DNA MODS.
escribe is still confusing to me, most people don't want to deal with all that.

The kicker for me is I only really get DNAs because it DOES balance charge multiple cells safely (I've checked with $500 analog and $10 digital meters like 18 months after using the same cells and NEVER rotating them purposely [first cell in line usually gets the most use and might show lower voltage when tested months later]), but probably like %80 of non DNA users using devices with multiple cells charge the cells on an external charger.

Although I might have fried the charging circuit on a DNA mod or two, it never blew up or got hot or anything and the convenience of being able to just plug it into a POWERED usb hub (so it doesn't suck power straight from the computer PSU even though mine is gold certified and great could be dangerous for your computer), the convenience of being able to USB charge a DNA and passthrough vape at same time is well worth it instead of taking the batteries out all the time (leads to needing rewrapping sometimes I never needed to do) and charging on an external, charge in car USB adapter etc.
1 year Warranty covers fix if the charging goes bad but even a $50 replacement board is well worth it to me, plus I'm hoping the newer DNA-Color boards are less prone to this. Ordering a Finder 250C right now...

It could also be a problem from the tad bit of juice that gets in some of my mods or the once per 18 months I might drop a mod even if just on carpet. Other than that I use genuine cells and don't overload them I vape gently basically, just saying, going off topic though.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
true true, most people just don't need the DNA features. most shops/websites would rather sell more $50 non DNA MODS than $125 DNA MODS.
escribe is still confusing to me, most people don't want to deal with all that.

The kicker for me is I only really get DNAs because it DOES balance charge multiple cells safely (I've checked with $500 analog and $10 digital meters like 18 months after using the same cells and NEVER rotating them purposely [first cell in line usually gets the most use and might show lower voltage when tested months later]), but probably like %80 of non DNA users using devices with multiple cells charge the cells on an external charger.

Although I might have fried the charging circuit on a DNA mod or two, it never blew up or got hot or anything and the convenience of being able to just plug it into a POWERED usb hub (so it doesn't suck power straight from the computer PSU even though mine is gold certified and great could be dangerous for your computer), the convenience of being able to USB charge a DNA and passthrough vape at same time is well worth it instead of taking the batteries out all the time (leads to needing rewrapping sometimes I never needed to do) and charging on an external, charge in car USB adapter etc.
1 year Warranty covers fix if the charging goes bad but even a $50 replacement board is well worth it to me, plus I'm hoping the newer DNA-Color boards are less prone to this. Ordering a Finder 250C right now...

It could also be a problem from the tad bit of juice that gets in some of my mods or the once per 18 months I might drop a mod even if just on carpet. Other than that I use genuine cells and don't overload them I vape gently basically, just saying, going off topic though.

Computer PSU certifications is based on efficiency, not the ability to handle higher currents. Gold certified just means the PSU is rated at 87% efficiency at 100% load. You can still overload the PSU, even through a powered USB hub. However, in doing so, the system should shut down immediately or if drawing too much from the USB bus, will spit out an error. Damage to the PSU could still occur but there are safeguards baked into both the motherboard and OS to prevent this as much as possible.

No denying the internal charging benefits of a DNA device. But you are still at the mercy of your power source which even a powered USB hub can be overloaded. I have seen powered USB hubs fail and damage USB drives in the process.

For multiple cell devices it is also beneficial to rotate the cells. Leaving them in a static position, one cell is always working harder than the rest, which it’s life span may diminish at a more rapid rate regardless of the devices ability to balance charge. A DNA device cannot prevent ageing of cells!

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
A key reason to buy a DNA mod is for use in TC mode, or because you really believe you will only use one mod that can do it all well, but ...

I have a DNA 250 mod, mostly used to run my RDAs with SS coils in TC mode, because I can't see when the well is running low, wicks running dry, and DNA mods behave well in TC mode, but... even then I don't always use SS material, and I don't always use my RDAs. Sub-ohm tanks are just so good these days I use both. I suspect most RDA users also use tanks, and I also suspect most RDA users will end up buying more than one mod for different purposes. When it comes to tanks, TC mode is often not an option. Pre-made coils are usually Kanthal, so don't support TC mode. No big deal. It's easy enough to see when a tank is running low on juice (glass tanks) versus RDAs that are usually entirely opaque, and hold only a small amount of juice.

The reality is that for power mode (and some would argue even for TC mode), there are so many good mods for half or a third the price of a DNA mod, it's just not surprising that there is a limited niche market for DNA based mods.

p.s. For whatever it's worth I had some concerns about the safety of those early day regulated mods, and believed that the DNA mods were probably safer, so that was another reason to buy one, but that wasn't based on much but what I wanted to believe. These days, I suspect most regulated mod chipsets from popular manufacturers are safe enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread