Why do cartomizers fail (burn out)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadHabit

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Ego
What exactly happens when a perfectly working cartomizer suddenly gets a very bad burnt taste? I am not talking about not having enough juice in it. I mean when it dies or burns out. Does the wire in the coil break? Does it oxidize or something? And why are LR cartos more prone to this? I suspect something happens to the coil but I would like to know just what.

BadHabit

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Ego
Ah, but what does "don't last" actually translate to? A break in the coil (wire)? If there is a break in the wire, then electrons will not flow. It would be an open circuit. Therefore there would not be any strong bitter taste (provided you had juice in it). The burnt taste of a burnt out carto or atty must be something other than a clean break.

BadHabit

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Ego
By "diaper," I assume you mean that piece of cloth (or whatever it is made of) that goes between the filler and the "sleeve" that fits over the coil. After more than 5,000 posts on this board, I would imagine you can enlighten me as to what both the sleeve and the diaper are for. :)

Can you explain what juice gunk is? Is it fried juice that hardens on the surface of the coil? Perhaps that would explain why LR atties and cartos are the first to go. The temperature of the coil is higher and more chance of frying the juice.

TomCatt, I am keen on your avitar!!

Nunnster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If you take apart a Burnt carto you will more then likely see what the reason is. A carto has a cloth like piece that is wrapped around the heating coil, then polyfil is wrapped around that. If it is heating, but giving you a burnt off taste more then likely its the cloth piece that has burnt up and you are getting the flavor from that. Also if you take apart a burnt out carto you can see the junk that can build up around the coil. It is from anything that doesn't completely vape off, such as flavors and such. Its just the way that cartos are, as they are not ment to last forever. The reason LR cartos are more prone to this is because the nature of the LR, they burn hotter, and its easier to burn the cloth without topping off every so often. They also vape more juice then SR so there is more "junk" left quicker. Hopefully that answers what you wanted to know. The best way to see what im talking about is to take apart a burnt carto and see it for yourself.

And to answer your question as for what the cloth like piece do and the polyfil, I think (could be wrong) is that the cloth around the coil holds the juice "tighter" around the coil, and the polyfil is a better holding/wicking material.

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
From what I understand of cartos (which isn't a whole lot :D), the 'diaper' is a silica 'cloth' used to prevent the coil(s) from directly contacting the polyfil. The 'gunk' is what Nunnster said, components of the e-liquid that don't (or won't) vaporize. These components will accumulate on the coil (or the area around the coil) and can impede the flow of the e-liquid to the coil. I believe darker colored e-liquids produce more of these deposits than lighter or clear e-liquids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread