Why do I overfill after only a few drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freeman dyson

Dec 15, 2009
ny
I read that people usually put at least 10 drops to fill their empty carts. I can get 5 at the most without it pooling at the top and not absorbing anymore. I use a needle to poke holes in the fabric and that helps a little but I dont think Ive ever got 10 drops in a single cart. what am i doing wrong? refilling it too early? using too much polyfill? how long do you wait before drops? how long does it take to settle in? thanks.

Leita

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Texas Coast
My, very little, experience has been to take the filler out, put 3-4 drops in cart...then put filling back in, and add the next several drops. I sometimes move the filler aside with a toothpick to let the pool on top settle, then remove the toothpick and resituate the filler if need be.
Good Luck!

This. Also, I was only able to smoosh more juice in a cart if I took it really slow. Put in a few drops, let it sit a bit then add some more. After trying this with every filler mentioned on here I wound up dripping my 510 to save time.

I wish 510s could be dipped like 401s. :(

Make sure you aren't using the same filling over and over. It works the first few days, but loses its absorbency over time. After a week with the same poly fill I could only get about three drops in refilling. this was one of the reasons I started using PTBs instead of polyfill.
:)

hey bro can you explain the PTB to a newbie? searched around on the board a bit but it is eluding me. polyfill is what I am currently using and need to fix up my new 510's. thanks

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Orrrr.... you can take a toothpick or paperclip and run it down along the side of the polyfill. Push the polyfill over to the side a bit to create an air channel. Then remove the toothpick or paperclip.

Do NOT try to drip the e-liquid down into the air channel. Drip it right onto the polyfill. The channel is there so that air can escape from the bottom of the reservoir. This is basically the "straw mod" without the straw.

Raven1

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
Akron, OH USA
I wondererd about that too Raven1. let me ask you this, can you fill a syringe, and when not using it just cap the end and it won't dry out over a period of days or weeks or whatever or just use what you need and put the leftover back in the original refill bottle?

Hmmm, I've never tried that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I doubt it would dry out in a day or two but I wouldn't leave it in there indefinitely. I usually squirt the leftover back into the bottle.

Sometimes I'll do what Scottbee suggested with a long straight pin. That works too!

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
There are a few ways to do the pyramid tea bag mod, on youtube search "ptb mod" and videos will come up. Personally I prefer a half of a ptb rolled, first really tightly then more loosely. Fold that in half, stick in the cart, then pull it out just slightly an cut off the part that sticks out so that when you stick it back in it is just below the lip of the cart. I change them out about once a week, or when I notice a nasty taste or drop in performance.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Other mods may or may not be to your liking, as well. I'm sold on the blue aquarium foam. Mine never seems to develop a bad taste, it holds a lot of liquid and delivers it cleanly and consistently to the atomizer. I've been using the same blue foam plug for nearly two months now.

The only time I clean it is when changing to very different flavors. When I do rinse it in tap water, it looks identical to a new plug. And, I've melted the cartridge walls during chain vaping without melting or browning the plug.

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
Other mods may or may not be to your liking, as well. I'm sold on the blue aquarium foam. Mine never seems to develop a bad taste, it holds a lot of liquid and delivers it cleanly and consistently to the atomizer. I've been using the same blue foam plug for nearly two months now.

The only time I clean it is when changing to very different flavors. When I do rinse it in tap water, it looks identical to a new plug. And, I've melted the cartridge walls during chain vaping without melting or browning the plug.

I had mixed success with the bfp. I thought it had a funny taste (I washed it first) but I might try it again tonight. The problem was on an hv mod it didn't wick well because it burns juice so quick and there was also the vacuum problem. It also isn't as easy to switch flavors because the flavors mix together more, especially if the cart isn't dry. But it is worth trying, others have had more success than me.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
I had mixed success with the bfp. I thought it had a funny taste (I washed it first) but I might try it again tonight. The problem was on an hv mod it didn't wick well because it burns juice so quick and there was also the vacuum problem. It also isn't as easy to switch flavors because the flavors mix together more, especially if the cart isn't dry. But it is worth trying, others have had more success than me.
I don't vape at high volts (not yet, anyway, it's in the works so to speak), so will have to defer to you on that one.

Vacuum problem? Can you explain what that is?

When switching flavors, all I need do is to take the foam out and rinse the foam and cartridge. I leave the foam slightly moist from the water so the e-liquid doesn't sit on the foam (never soaking in) and vape away. I have much more previous flavor liquid in the atomizer than the foam/cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread