why do my new builds taste like my son's sneakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cargo

Apr 26, 2014
Toronto
10 year vape vet but new to rebuildables.
Do I need to pretreat the vape store cotton?
too much cotton?
too little?
using a single premade .025 clapton on a OBS rda at 40-60 watts.200w wismec mod
80/20pg/vg
suggestions please
rancid sock perfume fades (eventually....72h ish?)
tia
seems juice independant
tried new cotton
eyeing wife's cotton balls surreptitiously

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Some types of cotton wicks need a longer break in than others. After you get an even ramp on the coil wick it, juice it and pulse a few times, add a bead of juice as needed. Should shorten break-in time. I would suggest you order small packs of different cottons and try rayon wicks as well.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
10 year vape vet but new to rebuildables.
Do I need to pretreat the vape store cotton?
too much cotton?
too little?
using a single premade .025 clapton on a OBS rda at 40-60 watts.200w wismec mod
80/20pg/vg
suggestions please
rancid sock perfume fades (eventually....72h ish?)
tia
seems juice independant
tried new cotton
eyeing wife's cotton balls surreptitiously

I take it that this e-Liquid Tastes Fine when you use it in Other Atomizers?

Did you Dry Burn your Coil after you installed it?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Since u say the bad taste goes away after a while then i guess its not a problem of tooo much cotton...

As already said make sure u dry burn the coil before u put the cotton through it..

Also make sure the cotton u use is stored on the package it came on or any good ziplock airtight bag..

Then make sure your hands are totally cleaned before touching cotton....sometimes u may wash your hands and need to rinse them very very very very very very good cause aromas from the hand soap may still stay on hands....smell your hands to make sure before touching the cotton and work with it...

I guess if after all that still u get wierd taste then maybe its the cotton u use???

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I take it that this e-Liquid Tastes Fine when you use it in Other Atomizers?

Did you Dry Burn your Coil after you installed it?

Think mebe you're on to something.…Multiwire arcs.

Filed in the scorched early, scorched often, shredded wheat dept.

(Ahh, life was so much simpler when we learned to rebuild.)

Good luck. :)

p.s. Beware end-of-pod-life.

Reactions: Cargo

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Think mebe you're on to something.…Multiwire arcs.

Filed in the scorched early, scorched often, shredded wheat dept.

(Ahh, life was so much simpler when we learned to rebuild.)

p.s. Beware end-of-pod-life.

For someone like me that my english are not good i always struggle and use dictionary to understand what u say....
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: MacTechVpr

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I use cotton. I am not much on rayon, like @Letitia. On a squonker, I saturate the wick, power it on and blow across the coil several times with the cap off. Mrs CMD prefers the process be completed outside. It can be quite vaporous. The wick than tastes fresh.
I do not know what any of my children's sneakers taste like. But, I would bet my daughter's would have tasted better than my son's - at least until he discovered that girls had more fine attributes other than just teasing them about having cooties (a reference probably only the elderly will get).

Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Since stainless steel wire and good quality cotton (like bacon cotton) the wick break-in time, can be reduced. I would start at an low wattage (<12w) and a juice low in sugars (<8% flavor). This is how I vape anyway and usually it's only a few hits (less than 10) before the wick has great flavor. Once the wick has came in crank it up at will.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I use cotton. I am not much on rayon, like @Letitia. On a squonker, I saturate the wick, power it on and blow across the coil several times with the cap off. Mrs CMD prefers the process be completed outside. It can be quite vaporous. The wick than tastes fresh.
I do not know what any of my children's sneakers taste like. But, I would bet my daughter's would have tasted better than my son's - at least until he discovered that girls had more fine attributes other than just teasing them about having cooties (a reference probably only the elderly will get).

It's the oxidation of the juice when the wick is somewhat dry CMD. Recall when I started with a Vivi Nova/eGo that the coil sat elevated with the wicks dangling. As the tank depleted the wick began to stink as more and more of the wick remained exposed and drying out. Made far worse by trying to vape it imo.

There's no getting around replacing cotton often to maintain an optimal flavor experience. But leaving it well saturated helps somewhat.

A temp fix for the squonk (rda) is to delicately dab off as much of the old juice from the wick and prime it with some straight VG then squonk (or drip) as usual. This may help somewhat in a pinch (unless it's too far gone).

[The VG seems to bump up vapor output which helps vape off the stale juice.]

Usually have quite a few mods in operation and try to drop some VG on the RDA's when they're going to sit for a while (between dry burns and rework). I'm talking hours, not days. As for tanks, the wicks remain well saturated usually so not as much of a problem.

Hope you all are having a great holiday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread