Why does the rsst get so hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigtausteve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Lawton, OK, USA
I got an RSST off of a friend of mine as a gift. He let me borrow it before to practicing building coils, which was pretty cool that he did that and was planning to give it to me. So I built my coil .8ohm, worked out the hot spots and was vaping beautifully, better than the build the guy did on it at the local shop before I got it. I noticed that it gets pretty hot. I checked and there are no shorts or anything. It gets much hotter than my igo-w at .7 ohm. Is this pretty standard with RBA tank systems, at least the lower end ones?

Boom goes the dynamite!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Boom goes the dynamite!

You just had to add that comment, especially when using sub ohm coils? :rolleyes:

As long as it's the only thing getting hot (and not your battery, fire switch, or mod) you need not worry. You're pushing over 5 amps and 22 watts of power through a tiny wire coil which is gets very hot. Heat transference from the coil will heat up the tank.

May I inquire what batteries you are using?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I got an RSST off of a friend of mine as a gift. He let me borrow it before to practicing building coils, which was pretty cool that he did that and was planning to give it to me. So I built my coil .8ohm, worked out the hot spots and was vaping beautifully, better than the build the guy did on it at the local shop before I got it. I noticed that it gets pretty hot. I checked and there are no shorts or anything. It gets much hotter than my igo-w at .7 ohm. Is this pretty standard with RBA tank systems, at least the lower end ones?

I'd say that's pretty normal. I have a AGA-T and a IGO-L running at about the same resistance. The thing with the RBA is the SS wick gets hot and I think it warms up the tank. Also, if you get the whole RBA warm, it takes a while for it to cool down because it's got so much more mass than the RDA. The cotton in the IGO doesn't transmit much heat and if the IGO does get a bit warm it cools pretty quickly.

Vape on :thumb:

sigtausteve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Lawton, OK, USA
May I inquire what batteries you are using?
Lol. Yeah I didn't think of that. That's my signature on tapatalk and i loved that show. Lol

Currently I am using efest v218650,18350. It was hard to find the specs on these batteries but the build is safe for these batteries if I'm not mistaken. I do need to get better ones of course but this is what I got for now. The mod or the switch (Smok Natural mod) never get hot.

- No more Boom-

sigtausteve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2013
Lawton, OK, USA
I'd say that's pretty normal. I have a AGA-T and a IGO-L running at about the same resistance. The thing with the RBA is the SS wick gets hot and I think it warms up the tank. Also, if you get the whole RBA warm, it takes a while for it to cool down because it's got so much more mass than the RDA. The cotton in the IGO doesn't transmit much heat and if the IGO does get a bit warm it cools pretty quickly.

Vape on :thumb:

I kinda figured it was but I needed confirmation on that before I continued using it. Thanks for the info!

- No more Boom-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread