Why don't more vapers use TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I guess the question on some folks minds is why use any regulation at all when a pure mechanical is simpler and more (long term) reliable?

In the beginning there was no regulation so a user would have to change their build to change their vapor production and experience.

Once a build with a specific gauge, wire type, ID, # of windings and placement on/in the deck was found to the users liking they might simply replicate that build or "tweak" the various parameters over time to adjust their vape.

A regulated voltage or wattage device could offer a more consistent vape over the discharge cycle of the battery along with many safety features inherent in regulated devices. (and possibly on board USB charging)

With the addition of TC as another mode of regulation I think the adjusting may have shifted slightly from the actual build itself to the wattage and temperature settings on the mod.

Some might call that progress, others might think it is a solution for a problem that to them never existed in the first place.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 11, 2013
    Downtown Charleston, SC
    true somewhat... i can't set wattage while in TC with those mods, but it does show me what wattage they are using and they are using 19-24w, which is why i matched it as best i could with the other one. the question i was asked earlier was in regards to the kbox minis, so i compared them in both modes. it's a fair test for them.

Sounds like you're using a very inefficient TC board, have you tried mods with Evolv boards?

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    TX, USA
    Personally, I haven't spent much time with TC. What little I have played with it (cheaper mods... defiantly haven't forked the cash out for an Evolv board) it's been a bit of a roller coaster - fix it - get a few great vapes - go outside, have to fiddle some more. I don't mind a bit of fiddling to get a good vape, just don't want to do it every time the ambient temp changes. I'm sure they've gotten better with newer devices, and I am really excited about the future of TC - assuming it doesn't get squashed by regulations. I think it would be great for beginner devices if there was no fiddling. Like any other technology, i think it just needs time to mature.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I'm a total convert. To such a degree I can justify having a bunch of DNA mods. I have noticed on some newer mods like the new Alien (OK, not that new anymore) TC is actually fairly decent. Not the same, but serviceable. I expect that will continue over time as more vendors can source chips that perform well at better price points.

I think it's a great feature when implemented well, and lends itself to a variety of vaping situations. I've found it really useful in my larger mass builds where in power mode, a vape will start out cool then get way too hot at the end of the draw. With TC it's just an even draw throughout. I am vaping for flavor though, not cloud, so while I still get a pretty good cloud, it's not a method to win a cloud comp.

Skold

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2016
    Bit of a late reply but i agree that tc mode does have more flavour, an ive only been using ss for about 4 months. I thought Why waste money on good tc mods if im not gonna try it out an gotta say great vape. People who value clouds above flavour seem like they are just wasting juice to me. If i had wattage as high as they go up to it Would kill me off

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    All but a couple of my mods have TC capabilities but i rarely use it. I guess i have just got used to controlling the heat by the draw i use.
    In my limited experience TC seems to favour those people who take long draws. I typically never take a toot over 3-4 seconds.
    Plus a LOT of mods are just erratic in TC.

capthook

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2015
    North Carolina
    I've had some Ni wire for a long time - still never used it.
    Whatever the case - not gonna inhale nickle.

Finally got some SS.
    Was ok, guessing a Pico isn't accurate enough to be reliable enough.
    The SS seems to take longer to heat up compared to Kanthal.
    Like others mentioned, got tired of fiddling with it for ambient temp changes etc etc.

Epsilonsama

Dec 26, 2016
    There's a bit of a learning curve with TC but it's worth it IMO. I use mostly SS316L this days and the difference between VW vs TC mode is light and day. With VW I have to be careful of not letting the cotton dry because I can get a horrible dry hit because of it. With TC because it's a constant temperature I don't need to worry as much and worse case scenario the dry hit will be much more muted than on VW. Also I like being able to do longer pulls with TC and not having to worry about the coil getting hotter. That for me is a big plus.

Also some people here are talking about Smok Alien and related products TC and as someone who owns an Alien I can say that their TC while not as customizable as a DNA one it's quite good if all you want is a simple plug n play vaping experience. Just plug in your TCR and you are good to go. Not as accurate as a DNA of course but it's simple.

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    All my mods have tc. I'm always up for a challenge. When I first started using tc I hated it. After playing with different coil builds and adjustments I got it working. I can see where tc is good if you're using an RDA. Using an RDA is a novelty for me. I personally don't see any reason to use tc with a tank.
    What does tank vs dripper have to do with it.. my avocado and Hobo have basically the same deck and chambers.. the only real difference is where the juice is stored. Storage location doesn't affect vapor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    What does tank vs dripper have to do with it.. my avocado and Hobo have basically the same deck and chambers.. the only real difference is where the juice is stored. Storage location doesn't affect vapor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    It does effect that a dripper is more prone to dry hits as the juice well dries up and the cotton gets dry.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I tried TC on a couple of devices. The first one was my Smok Koopor Plus 200W using SS316 wire. It popped and crackled and gave me a terrible hot at any TCR and temp setting. That was no fun. I found out that the firmware was broken for SS in the Smok, so I tried Ni200. Not knowing that Nichrome can't be dry burned, that fizzled out (literally) and I gave it up and went back to Kanthal.

Power mode satisfies me completely and I never really tried TC again after that except on my Pico. The Pico seemed to work fine with stainless, but I saw no advantage over the power setting. I didn't care for the over-temp cutoff that occurred if I didn't vape it immediately after pressing the fire button. Sometimes, I like to let the coil heat for a second or two before I draw.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread