The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

Why no atheist 12 step programs? Redux

Discussion in 'Atheist Vapers' started by Larry J, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Larry J

Larry J Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 27, 2014
    Amarillo, Texas
    There was a thread from 2012 that is closed but that I wanted to respond to. The question was asked "Why are there no atheist twelve step programs?" The answer would seem simple, since the first step is to acknowledge a "higher power." However, I attend a Unitarian Universalist church which welcomes all people of any (or NO) religious belief. We have recently started sponsoring and providing a meeting place for an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I'm not sure how they get around that first step, but thought I would pass along that tidbit of information. ( I consider myself an agnostic, not an atheist, but feel quite at home around atheists).

2. Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2015
    Arkansas
    There is! Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity, simple as that. A higher power does not have to be a deity. Any non-religious program can be "for atheists."

As an AA member as well as atheist, I will say that the author(s) of the Big Book were a little confused about what atheism is (see above definition hehe) - either that, or I'm the one confused. But I don't think so.

The Higher Power must be one that is greater than myself. As an atheist, I certainly do not think that I am god, and with the option for god to be "of my understanding," I can undertand it to be a non-deity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    In my recovery, I used the Universe as my higher power. I then realized how small and powerless I actually was with my addictions. AA and treatment saved my life. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Noble Gas

Noble Gas Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    California
    It depends on the area, I think. I attended atheist NA meetings for a while (this was 20 years ago, but I'm sure they have them now if you look). The thing is, if you don't find a meeting that suits you, you can always start one yourself. :)
    My higher power, by the way, was Frank Zappa. I always admired him for his musical genius, as well as being so totally out there without chemical refreshment.

5. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Definitely some non-Christian AA/NA out there, and on the web. I think the main idea is to stop having yourself as the center. Changes everything in recovery.

I was a loner before, now I feel a part of everything and everyone.

6. Captain Pegleg

Captain Pegleg Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2015
    Arkansas
    I've never heard of Christian AA or NA, only other programs similar like Celebrate Recovery etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.