• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Why no atheist 12 step programs? Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
There was a thread from 2012 that is closed but that I wanted to respond to. The question was asked "Why are there no atheist twelve step programs?" The answer would seem simple, since the first step is to acknowledge a "higher power." However, I attend a Unitarian Universalist church which welcomes all people of any (or NO) religious belief. We have recently started sponsoring and providing a meeting place for an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. I'm not sure how they get around that first step, but thought I would pass along that tidbit of information. ( I consider myself an agnostic, not an atheist, but feel quite at home around atheists).

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
There is! Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity, simple as that. A higher power does not have to be a deity. Any non-religious program can be "for atheists."

As an AA member as well as atheist, I will say that the author(s) of the Big Book were a little confused about what atheism is (see above definition hehe) - either that, or I'm the one confused. But I don't think so.

The Higher Power must be one that is greater than myself. As an atheist, I certainly do not think that I am god, and with the option for god to be "of my understanding," I can undertand it to be a non-deity.

Reactions: Cullin Kin

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
It depends on the area, I think. I attended atheist NA meetings for a while (this was 20 years ago, but I'm sure they have them now if you look). The thing is, if you don't find a meeting that suits you, you can always start one yourself. :)
My higher power, by the way, was Frank Zappa. I always admired him for his musical genius, as well as being so totally out there without chemical refreshment.

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Definitely some non-Christian AA/NA out there, and on the web. I think the main idea is to stop having yourself as the center. Changes everything in recovery.

I was a loner before, now I feel a part of everything and everyone.

I've never heard of Christian AA or NA, only other programs similar like Celebrate Recovery etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread