Why U.S. Officials Investigating Mysterious Vaping Deaths Are Focusing on Flavorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Why U.S. Officials Investigating Mysterious vaping Deaths Are Focusing on Flavorings

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why
-u-s-officials-investigating-mysterious-vaping-deaths-are-focusing-on-flavorings/

(link broken - remove line feeds / spaces)

This article was insightful for me. And chilling as to actions under consideration in the face of what is clearly blind and willful ignorance.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Why U.S. Officials Investigating Mysterious vaping Deaths Are Focusing on Flavorings

-u-s-officials-investigating-mysterious-vaping-deaths-are-focusing-on-flavorings/

This article was insightful for me. And chilling as to actions under consideration in the face of what is clearly blind and willful ignorance.
Willful disinformation.
Heidi Ledford is a horrible journalist.
I wonder who pays her salary? Nature magazine. :facepalm:

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The issue is in part I suspect because the flavoring industry has serious truth and safety problems due mostly to the “natural” food laws.

Flavorings are used in tiny tiny quantities though. There are much more dangerous things used in much larger quantities that are at issue here. Like lipid based “thickeners” that are not even used in nic e-cigarettes, the only thing they seem to actually have any interest in banning.

This is NOT I suspect where the problem actually is. This is not to say that a flavoring might not also cause a long term problem. The problems the CDC are looking at though are NOT long term. They are very fast acting and accuse.

Reactions: Rossum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Why U.S. Officials Investigating Mysterious Vaping Deaths Are Focusing on Flavorings

Link is not working. “We are sorry, the page you are looking for could not be found”

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
Scientific American published an article on September 6.
Contaminant That May Be Causing the Mysterious Vaping-Related Illnesses Found
Many of the products used by sick patients contained an oil derived from vitamin E...

https://www.scientificamerican. com/article/contaminant-that-may-be-causing-the-mysterious-vaping-related-illnesses-found/

Did they forget they published that?

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Still working. Copy from both lines and then remove all spaces or line feeds (don't overlook the space before "-u-s-officials-investigating...").
Why would you do that? There’s no reason to break links here. In any case That sort of editing on a link is not as far as I can find so far even possible on my phone. I’m gonna try to open it in a quote reply to see if I can make it happen.

Update: nope. Still broken after I tried you directions. Perhaps just post the actual link sans weirdness?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nermal

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Why would you do that? There’s no reason to break links here. In any case That sort of editing on a link is not as far as I can find so far even possible on my phone. I’m gonna try to open it in a quote reply to see if I can make it happen.

Copy the two lines from post, paste into your browser URL, move/focus to beginning of "-u-s-officials-investigating...", backspace (to remove space), and then enter

Ref. PLEASE READ! Breaking Links to Junk Science and Other Rubbish Posts

• Winner
Reactions: Horselady154

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Copy the two lines from post, paste into your browser URL, move/focus to beginning of "-u-s-officials-investigating...", backspace (to remove space), and then enter

Ref. PLEASE READ! Breaking Links to Junk Science and Other Rubbish Posts

So you feel that scientificamerican is junk pseudoscience. That’s...unusual.

So you’re saying the ONLY part to remove is the carriage return and the space. Correct? Testing...

Ok. That worked.

There are a few serious problems:
It does say that all e-cigarettes are pods (wrong) and it references 2016 data but doesn’t talk about the FDA deeming that removed diacetyl. It also doesn’t mention that cigarettes contains hundreds of times more diacetyl than e-cigarettes ever did and it was not found to be an issue. There were OTHER things found to be issues in cigarettes but that wasn’t one of them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread