The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wick brown on one side only.

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by Fredman1, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I get this now and again. One side of the coil is well browned, while the other is noticeable whiter. Get it on RDAs and RTAs alike. Why would that be?

• Like Like x 2
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    One side of your wick is getting hotter than the other. Airflow issue maybe? Seems like a minor problem to me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yeah its a minor thing. Don't vape any different.
    Might also be a wick flow thing. One side wicks different/better than the other. It never really bothered me...its sporadic. I'm not 100% sure but it might be on the wicks that I trimmed. Maybe I trimmed a little bit more off one side....I'll make a point of keeping an eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Agree. Thanks mate. The silution will be to patiently pay more attention when trimming the tails.
    What also is a factor I think...I like a tightly stuffed wick. Because I sometimes "force" it through, it leaves a "bulge" on the one side of the coil. That might be an obstruction because its unequal to the other side of the cotton going into the coil...!

• Like Like x 2
  6. meph1

meph1 Full Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Maybe it can be caused by "bad juicing"? I mean, you dont juice it up enough before first use, my gf usually does this :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. score69

score69 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    Are you working out all of the hot spots in your coil?

That or airflow (as mentioned) would be my first two guesses.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Thinking about it more I'm going to say unbalanced wicking or too much in the coil (especially on one side or the other) and POSSIBLE hot spots. I am sure airflow could cause it, but frantically casting my eye BACK to the past, I see a sort of vague correlation between one side getting brown and a sort of early "splitting" in the coil, which with rayon means at least ONE part of the coil is too thick, in the coil, which can cause breakage. So I am thinking POSSIBLY that um my coil wasn't even, I had hot spots, or I did not thoroughly untwist or comb my wicking out well. I bet improper placement of the coil, like slightly crooked or slightly higher on one side or the other Underneath the coil could cause it.

With all that, it sort of sounds like I should add "planets current placement in the sky," so I will add that, too.
    LOL.

Anan

9. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    Its a simple case of just not holding your mouth right. Ta-daa!!! Problem solved.:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yeah that's what she said to...:lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Cotton or rayon? I will guess you're getting less juice flow through the whiter tail for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fredman1

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    TBH I can't remember. Hasn't happened since i'm keeping an eye on it. I use both cotton and rayon on different devices.
    I agree about less juice flow on the white side...

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.