Why does my e juice turn brown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
What's happening is you have a cocoon of gunk around the coil. Your first heating up the cocoon trying to vaporize the liquid thus heating up the surrounding area caramelizing and darkening the juice. Replace the coil but don't add new juice to the old juice cause the old yuk juice will contaminate the new super quick, taste crappy and go dark. Throw the old juice away and start fresh.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Hmm... I've had coil gunk turn clear juices brown but from what you're saying it sounds like something in the juice may be turning brown.

How long does it take to turn brown? Is this same juice turning brown in the bottle (at a much slower rate)? Maybe this particular juice turns brown with steeping, and is getting enough of a fast steep just from the heat of the coil ?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
There is no simple answer to your question.
Nicotine alone will not turn juice brown (I suppose you use the same nic level in your other juices).
Sweetener alone will not turn juice brown (I suppose you have about the same sweetness in other juices).
It is some of food flavorings in your juice behave badly.
Some juices turn brown even in bottles, but in longer time.

The Liquid Club

Unresolved Status
May 21, 2015
I notice that one flavor turns brown I my tank. It is pineapple, orange, and dragon fruit.it starts out light green almost clear. Then it turns brown. It also kills my coils faster. Is there an explanation for this?

It's normal. I personally dont know the logic reasoning behind it.

But based on my personal experience after I steep my juice, the color seem to be darkens. But the flavor becomes better as well! :hubba:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I think that the sweetener used is one of the cause
Really? I read dozens of pages on this site every day, plus other sites, and I have never heard that!

Flavors and nicotine are usually what causes juice to darken, but the OP seems to be indicating it's happening pretty quickly in the tank.

I suspect the tank is getting pretty warm, "cooking" the juice, and one of the flavors is reacting to the heat. The nicotine will also react to the heat.

Reactions: dhood

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The wick works both ways it also lets the cooked juice back out into the tank a bit to color the juice. also heat from the coil chamber will cause the juice to caramelize a bit.

don't believe it? Just have a tank of dark juice, remove the coil/base then rinse the tank with water and put fresh juice in. Then replace the coil. The fresh juice will darken a lot quicker than the first time it happened. basically in one tank it will darken a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread