Wick under the bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
Somewhere, somebody wrote that the best or at least a good way of cleaning your atomizer was by blowing the juice out of the atomizer and then heat up the atomizer element momentarily to a cherry hot state, stop and repeat, then prime with a drop or two and install a new cartridge...

Well, i recently noticed something sticking thru one of the sides of the bridge on one of my attys, closer inspection with a magnifying glass showed some sort of long strands of fiber, so i extracted the ones that were sticking out with a pair of tweezers and to my surprise most of those fibers were burnt to a crisp, explaining the nasty chemical burnt flavor i would sometimes taste when juice ran low on the cart and at random times.

The atty in question is out of a joye 510, this is a 14X macro of the fibers:

fibers.jpg

This is the inside of the atty at 14X too, sorry for the depth of field but at 1 1/2 inches from the lenses and without a macro ring light is a bit tricky to get light inside the atty, the strands came out from the chamber under the bridge, where the heating element is:

attyzoom.jpg

This last image shows the actual size of the weird strands sitting next to the atomizer itself:

attywick.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? is like a wick of sorts, but could it be some sort of insulation as well? either way it would seem overheating the element is a bad idea, it seems to me like there's a capsule of ceramic or some material like it all around the element, but there's also this weird strands of material that resembles fiberglass, maybe they transfer the juice from the metal wick to the heating element? i have no clue but i figure i share.

Also note that i haven't modified any carts to use with this particular atty so whatever came out was put there at the factory.

If this has been discussed before and is popular knowledge, please disregard the thread and excuse the noob :)

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
It is the wick, yes your atty was overheated because it ran low on liquid, and yes your atty will not wick as well in the future.

The bright side, it can always be used for dripping.

That's what i figured, as long as it still heating up, direct dripping is an option, but somehow still wicks pretty good.
I just don't see how some people dry old juice out of their atomizers by repeatedly heating the atomizer bright red, there are even videos on youtube on how to do so.

Tachion

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Northeast
Dripping is a whole different experience, just like high voltage i hear is, the flavor rocks and a drop or two go a long way and i can see why you would want that wick out if u only dripped, when juice runs low in the atty, some of that stuff burns away and it really really taste bad.

I wouldn't say it goes a long way. At least in terms of the length of vape you get.

3 drops on my 510 atty (with bridge and wick removed) gets me maybe 4-5 "puffs" before I get that godawful dry atty taste. That being said, the vapor production is pretty ridiculous. :p

GrandPoobah

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Hey Captor. I have heard different reports on whether the wick burns or not. Better wicks are made of silica and I'm told they shouldn't burn. From what i hear, that burnt stuff is actually dried up juices and ash, not burnt wick. Any chance you can try soaking that in some alchohol and see if it cleans up? that is of course if you still have it.

cheers
-alex

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
I beg to differ on the dry burns. My attys last months because I pulse the button and never let the coil get red hot. My theory (through experimentation with silica wicks) is if you get the coil red hot it carbonizes the juice in the wick and NOTHING will get it out because it gets fused to the wick making it a solid in effect with no capillary function anymore. If you heat the coil just enough to vaporize the juice the wick will still gum up over time but when soaked and rinsed with PGA regularly and gently most will come out. A soaking in Cola will also get the oxidation off of the coil when needed restoring it to shiny metal.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I'd imagine most people's first few 510 attys look like that.

Also, this is why I'm afraid to try dry burning. I always thought that toasted wicking could come from it. Lots of my 510 attys are 5 plus months old and still run great. I only have one that is burned tasting (haven't played with it yet to see if the wick is the issue, but I suspect it is). I'll never do a dry burn to clean.

it seems to me like there's a capsule of ceramic or some material like it all around the element
The capsule of ceramic is actually the pot where the atomizer wire is suspended. Liquid doesn't sit in it, it has holes in it. The metal mesh bridge is designed to move liquid to the wicking which is suspended above the atomizer wire which is wound around even more wicking material.

Here is a thread with great photos of the 510 taken apart (and some info on the inside plastic air flow piece melting shut, caused by high heat... (dry burns?) which creates hard draws) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/48467-510-atty-disassembly.html

Nice photos of the 'innards' of the 510... I'm bookmarking this so I can point others to your pics too.

Good to hear it is still wicking right with a cart... maybe there is still a little wick left under the bridge?

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
Hey Captor. I have heard different reports on whether the wick burns or not. Better wicks are made of silica and I'm told they shouldn't burn. From what i hear, that burnt stuff is actually dried up juices and ash, not burnt wick. Any chance you can try soaking that in some alchohol and see if it cleans up? that is of course if you still have it.

cheers
-alex

I think i did throw the old strands of wick away, but i'll look around to make sure, however if you look at the pic i posted the really burnt stuff looked almost fused together into a clump and it was really hard, like a solid piece when i touched it, let's hope i still have it so i can dip it in alcohol.

So i was right in thinking this was some sort of fiberglass strands, Silica does soften and can clump up at 2,000 °C and obviously i don't see the heating element in the atty reaching that temp, so perhaps it is old juice on the wick after all.

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
I beg to differ on the dry burns. My attys last months because I pulse the button and never let the coil get red hot. My theory (through experimentation with silica wicks) is if you get the coil red hot it carbonizes the juice in the wick and NOTHING will get it out because it gets fused to the wick making it a solid in effect with no capillary function anymore. If you heat the coil just enough to vaporize the juice the wick will still gum up over time but when soaked and rinsed with PGA regularly and gently most will come out. A soaking in Cola will also get the oxidation off of the coil when needed restoring it to shiny metal.

This is something i haven't done yet, but i have decided to, from now on clean my atomizers by blowing thru it, soaking and letting it sit on clean ethanol for a while, then blowing it dry, that should dissolve any old juice or deposits that have formed.

I am pretty sure some components of some ejuices, don't evaporate at all and all this junk stays suspended/caked into the wick, so until you dissolve that junk, i don't see how pulsing or heating the atty element to a cherry hot can be beneficial to any degree, other than getting rid of the old flavor to try a new one, which heating doesn't acomplish anyway, instead you get a really nasty smell and taste.

Hellen A. Handbasket said:
Here is a thread with great photos of the 510 taken apart (and some info on the inside plastic air flow piece melting shut, caused by high heat... (dry burns?) which creates hard draws) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...sassembly.html

Nice photos of the 'innards' of the 510... I'm bookmarking this so I can point others to your pics too.

Good to hear it is still wicking right with a cart... maybe there is still a little wick left under the bridge?
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing Hellen. Yes there seems to be plenty of wick left on mine, it still wicks pretty good.

JoeD4

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I always remove the fibers from my atty's (using a 510) because I am a dripper. The first atty I did that to looked a lot like the OP's pics. That was from being inexperienced and using carts for the first week or two. Dripping does give ALOT more vapor and some enhanced flavor and I agree with above: 2-3 drops=about 4-5 good puffs, usually get that dry taste around the 6th puff or so, but no burning fiber taste since they aren't there to be burnt. Cheers!

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
wow. I've been having a lot of problems with burnt taste lately. I use 510's and Penstyles (801, etc) can't figure out what is going on. Wondering if I'm burning out my wicks.

I am very interested in seeing any results you might have with removing the burnt parts of the wick. (I don't want to remove mine because I don't drip. The one I accidently removed is now my drip/taste tester)

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
wow. I've been having a lot of problems with burnt taste lately. I use 510's and Penstyles (801, etc) can't figure out what is going on. Wondering if I'm burning out my wicks.

Try to keep your carts full at all times, i have made a habit of topping off my carts every so many drags or everytime the flavor starts to get a bit weak, also, i have modified all my carts with sponge material similar to the facial scrubbing sponges "buff puff" found at the drug store, when i bought mine all they had was this particular one: Facial Cleansing Sponges | Walgreens carts modified with this stuff, wick the liquid much better, are easier to fill and clean and being more porous than the material that comes in the carts off the factory, they hold more juice in them.

leannebug said:
I am very interested in seeing any results you might have with removing the burnt parts of the wick. (I don't want to remove mine because I don't drip. The one I accidently removed is now my drip/taste tester)

I removed the burnt parts shown on the pic above, which obviously wasn't all of it, since my atomizer still performs great, i'm still using it and i can't see a difference from the other new attys i have, unless you are willing to drip, i don't recomend you try to remove any of the silica or metal wick out of yours, you could easily ruin it in my opinion, i would recomend running hot water thru it and allowing it to fully dry to remove any taste it may have, i'm yet to try some ethanol like vodka or any other neutral tasting spirit, i have some 86% ethanol i'll probably try to clean mine this week sometime.

Last edited:

mendnwngs

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
Central California
(Please dont beat me for mentioning the "B" word, :) )

Blucigs attys don't have any wicking material under the bridge, by default. I have yet to see an atty (I have seen 6 of 'em) that have anything under the bridge, and FWIW, they seem to operate just fine (For a blucig)

I drip from time to time with my blucigs (Have a couple Joye 510s as yet unmodded too, that I love) but the blucigs do seem to respond pretty well to dripping, but still work "As designed" with Blu prefilled carts.

Still havn't blown a blucig atty, but I'm new, so give me time.. :)

-Jason

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Try to keep your carts full at all times, i have made a habit of topping off my carts every so many drags or everytime the flavor starts to get a bit weak, also, i have modified all my carts with sponge material similar to the facial scrubbing sponges "buff puff" found at the drug store, when i bought mine all they had was this particular one: Facial Cleansing Sponges | Walgreens carts modified with this stuff, wick the liquid much better, are easier to fill and clean and being more porous than the material that comes in the carts off the factory, they hold more juice in them.
I am quite fanatical about topping off, and also watch closely for leakage too (since I mainly use the Penstyle) Luckily, I discovered some great material in my stash this weekend. Someone had sent me something that sounds a lot like that ^. I had tried the Buff Puff stuff from Walmart, but it didn't have any luck with it.
This white stuff she said was Fluval, but it's different than the blue fluval and it appears to be thicker than the Buff I have, but thinner than my poly batting. It wicks wonderfully. I can use it with the Highping method, and get quite a lot in my carts. Seems to work a little better with the thinner juices, I have to still watch my VG juices, but not as bad as before. The PG ones I can puff till my heart contents.

I removed the burnt parts shown on the pic above, which obviously wasn't all of it, since my atomizer still performs great, i'm still using it and i can't see a difference from the other new attys i have, unless you are willing to drip, i don't recomend you try to remove any of the silica or metal wick out of yours, you could easily ruin it in my opinion, i would recomend running hot water thru it and allowing it to fully dry to remove any taste it may have, i'm yet to try some ethanol like vodka or any other neutral tasting spirit, i have some 86% ethanol i'll probably try to clean mine this week sometime.

I need to figure out something to clean these burnt attys! I have about 5 (2 joye 302s, 2 joye 510's, M201) that all got horribly burnt in the last week or so. Not sure what did it and I can't get the taste out.
Right now they are soaking in lemon juice. I tried boiling the 510's, but I think the 302's have a rubber silicone seal, and I've heard boiling is not good for those. I didn't have plain coke, just cherry coke in the house :p and no PGA, so.. what else is there? These are all relatively (or very!!) new attys too. I'm stumped.

Let me know if you try the ethanol. I have rubbing alcohol. Would that work the same? DYKN?

Thanks for your help!!

DeniseN

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Douglas, Ga.
Well I guess I am in the minority here. I use a 510 have since Feb when i first started. Since back then my first week those little fibers were sticking out and I pulled them out and kept using my cart like normal. Never had a problem. Since then I have changed to PTB and still continue to pull all the threads out from under the bridge if and when they stick out or as soon as I can get a hold of one of them and pull them out. I have no problems with my 510 attys, well until the last bath I gave them the other day in alcohol. Thats another story lol. But I had not had one die on me still have my original ones since Feb. with no loss of vapor or anything. So like I said I must be in the minority. :)

Captor

Mar 27, 2010
Florida
I need to figure out something to clean these burnt attys! I have about 5 (2 joye 302s, 2 joye 510's, M201) that all got horribly burnt in the last week or so. Not sure what did it and I can't get the taste out.
Right now they are soaking in lemon juice. I tried boiling the 510's, but I think the 302's have a rubber silicone seal, and I've heard boiling is not good for those. I didn't have plain coke, just cherry coke in the house :p and no PGA, so.. what else is there? These are all relatively (or very!!) new attys too. I'm stumped.

Let me know if you try the ethanol. I have rubbing alcohol. Would that work the same? DYKN?

Thanks for your help!!

Noooo hehe, try to stay away from isopropyl alcohol if you can help it, is definitely not good for human consumption(converted to acetone by the liver, it's poisonous), so i personally wouldn't want it in my attys and besides it has a nasty taste to it, try and use some vodka if you have some at home and see if that clears some of that nasty taste for you, but i find it suspicious that all your attys started tasting burnt around the same time, have you started using some new juice or something that's maybe vg based and very dark in color? i have noticed that dark colored vg liquids tend to leave a lot of residue in the atty, so whenever i try new juice or ramdonly whenever flavor fades or it starts to taste nasty, i blow air thru my atty holding a napkin on the opposite side, that alone makes it taste fresh again.

Also, although i have somewhat limited experience with ecigs, i have noticed that some Dekang juices (both PG and VG, but mostly with VG) even the nicest ones, when used continously, they tend to darken inside the cart, i guess from the heat generated by the attys element and bridge, when that happens the flavor starts to decay so in my case i know is time for a cart/atty quick cleaning, but for the most part i have different brands and flavors i alternate so i don't get sick of the same stuff.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Noooo hehe, try to stay away from isopropyl alcohol if you can help it, is definitely not good for human consumption(converted to acetone by the liver, it's poisonous), so i personally wouldn't want it in my attys and besides it has a nasty taste to it, try and use some vodka if you have some at home and see if that clears some of that nasty taste for you,

HEHE.. ok, no rubbing alcohol. But I'm not much of a drinker. All I have is some Limoncello :D

but i find it suspicious that all your attys started tasting burnt around the same time, have you started using some new juice or something that's maybe vg based and very dark in color? i have noticed that dark colored vg liquids tend to leave a lot of residue in the atty

YES! I got to thinking the same thing this afternoon! I was vaping a homemade brew (of two vendors) that someone sent me. Delish! But I noticed it was VERY thick, and yes, very dark. soo... I switched to a similar taste, but thinner liquid, and it's much better (another homemade, gifted bottle).

whenever i try new juice or ramdonly whenever flavor fades or it starts to taste nasty, i blow air thru my atty holding a napkin on the opposite side, that alone makes it taste fresh again.

lol.. me too, actually, I not only am a fanatic about keeping my carts full, but I regularly blow out the attys (after flooding a batt, my first week vaping, and killing it)

Unfortunately, blowing has not taken away that horrid nasty burnt taste/smell. I soaked overnight in the lemon juice, and then rinsed real good in hot tap. All but one smell better. Have not tried vaping on them yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread