RDA Wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMattP13

ECF Veteran
Finally got my hands on a trident and an igo w from one of my buddies and was just wondering what are good methods of wicking the current way I'm wicking seems to only give me 2-3 long drags before i get a dry hit. I have a .4 ohm dual coil 26g around 5/64 bit. Just doing a piece of cotton through and just letting some sit and touch the base of the rda. Also vaping it on mech mod.

LobsterGoD

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Oh man, you're rockin it old school with those atties. It's been so long since ive used my igo w4 but what I usually did for it was cut a strip of cotton from an unrolled cotton ball. Cut it into equal 1/4s lengthwise for coils 3/32 and smaller id and for coils 1/8 and bigger i would do the same but only cut it in half length wise then trim the edges of it flush with the edge of the deck after threading it through the coil.

They are smaller atties, at least the old igo w/w4 was coming in at 20mm, but both the igo w and trident dont have much of a juice well. You really don't have much space to pack in a lot of cotton. Unfortunately, this is the down fall of these atties that keeps you from getting more than a few lung fulls before having to re-drip on lower ohm builds.
p.s. i find the derringer suffers from this too as it doesn't have much of a juice well itself, but omg that flavor...

Last edited:

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can't help with the spending money part, but I was in the same situation last week. I splurged and bought 2 REO's with Nuppin's (might as well jump in with both feet) and I had never successfully built a coil or wicked anything on my Subtank. I did have the equipment to do it, just hand not spent the time to learn how to make it work. I spent the week reading about everything that was on the way and everything I had to work with. Picked it up at the post office Friday and with the help of the REO forum I had the first one working with Ready X Wick (RxW) in about 3hrs. Had a different build on the 2nd one working the next day. I went back and rebuilt a different coil that works better on the first one last night and now from what I understand I should be good to go until sometime in July.

Between the REOSmod and the RxW there's nothing to mess with once it's working. I've dry burned and washed it under a faucet and everything looks new. Another quick dry burn to dry the wick and I'm vaping again in 5 mins. If your going to do it just do it and don't worry about the what ifs, it's way easier than you think.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Other than the Atty, you described my Builds to a T.
I had the same issues when I first started dripping. Too Small a Drip-Well. So, that's why I bought my first Magma Clone. After getting an RDA with a 5-6mm Drip-Well, I could load it up and do minimal wicking as you have described and hit that puppy hard as I please without having to feed it every 4-5 firings. Also, the dry-hit fits are now almost nonexistent. I even point-trim mine to maximize Juice Well capacity yet still get great juice flow to the Coils. In theory, that actually increases the Wicking Action as flow tends to be naturally increased and motivated by the "small-to-large" Conduit which is in keeping with Fluid Dynamics. In my experience, that Theory does bode true.

As said by another already, think no matter what you do with that, there will be continuing issues due to its Shallow Well design. Now, all but one of mine are what I deem as Deep Wells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread