The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Will it ruin a USB PT to keep it plugged into the comp?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Broseybrose, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
    Its a 510 PT with in-line battery. Ive kept it plugged into a port for about 5 days straight (since i got ). Is this the right way?

2. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Since the one I have is just a USB connector and a battery box with a Joye style battery device on the end, I don't think that there's any circuitry to control overcharging of the battery. I'd unplug it when it's not in use. You can, however, vape to your heart's content on the charged battery when it's unplugged from the computer. It makes a good longer lasting power source for those times when you need a little longer battery life than the standard 180mah 510 batteries.

The battery in the USB PT appears to me to be a standard battery made up from NiCad cells. Nicads need to be drained periodically and recharged to prevent the memory effect from occurring. If NiCads are recharged without draining fully they tend to drain faster and run out of power halfway through the full life of a charge. Draining and recharging extends the useful life of a NiCad battery.

3. Broseybrose

Jul 2, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
    Right, mine sounds like the one you described; Battery box with a blue battery inside.

Thanks for the info, its unplugged now.

4. WickedFish

WickedFish Full Member

Jun 16, 2010
    MA
    Mine has been plugged in for over a month.....no problem.

If you want to unplug it after use or run the battery down to keep it alive it's probably beneficial.

I personally spend enough time fiddling with equipment, and would rather just not worry about it.

If I ruin a $5 battery that I really don't use anyway....I'm fine with that.

5. Broseybrose

Jul 2, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
    Well, i figure a drain will do it good, so why not... :)

6. classwife

classwife Admin Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Good question. Was curious about this too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.