Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Has anyone thought to try knitted SS mesh cable or sleeves? The mesh cable is solid (not hollow) mesh rope. Which might perform as well as the rope without needed the extra mesh "daiper". If that is not the case, then maybe a mesh sleeve could be used around the rope instead of hand rolling mesh.

Knitted Stainless Steel and Inconel Mesh Cable and Rope
bv03386.png

Rmcgloth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Sandy,or
Has anyone thought to try knitted SS mesh cable or sleeves? The mesh cable is solid (not hollow) mesh rope. Which might perform as well as the rope without needed the extra mesh "daiper". If that is not the case, then maybe a mesh sleeve could be used around the rope instead of hand rolling mesh.

Knitted Stainless Steel and Inconel Mesh Cable and Rope
bv03386.png
it appears that the smallest size is 1/4". At least from this vendor. It looks cool though!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
OK been reading more and studying this more. I have a couple of questions.

First, how did we decide was the best way to oxidize the SS wicks (mesh or rope) to prevent hexavalent chromium buildup? I really want to use this stuff but the Cr(VI) is a bit scary.

Second, has anyone considered taking the center core out of 7x7 (or just starting with 6x7) and filling the center with a strand of silica? I think this would allow the SS rope wick to retain it's wicking properties using less mass and less problems with retaining heat. The silica core should last a really long time not being directly exposed to the coils, but also act as an auxiliary cooling and wicking channel.

smitighe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Baltimore
OK been reading more and studying this more. I have a couple of questions.

First, how did we decide was the best way to oxidize the SS wicks (mesh or rope) to prevent hexavalent chromium buildup? I really want to use this stuff but the Cr(VI) is a bit scary.

Second, has anyone considered taking the center core out of 7x7 (or just starting with 6x7) and filling the center with a strand of silica? I think this would allow the SS rope wick to retain it's wicking properties using less mass and less problems with retaining heat. The silica core should last a really long time not being directly exposed to the coils, but also act as an auxiliary cooling and wicking channel.

I actually thought about that and never followed thru. Sounds like a good concept but I would like to see it work. Been needing to build something soon and I have all the materials. Ill give it a shot and report back.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Jayvon633

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Hillsboro Oregon
so out of everyone using as rope where is the best place to get it? I would like to try 1/16" or 1-/32"? diameter (im not sure which would fit better) in my xc-132 on an aga-t2 that I just got and bored out for the xc stuff but I couldn't find a good source and I'm not sure exactly what kind I need In the first place. any input here?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I found a place that is selling 50ft for $10 and free shipping which is pretty good. I didn't get it b/c WTH do I need with 50ft of the stuff lol.
I ended up getting 16ft of metric stuff with free shipping on Ebay for about $5ish. You can also buy it from McMaster-Carr for about $0.50 per foot but min shipping is $4-$5. So the Ebay deal ended up better.

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
so out of everyone using as rope where is the best place to get it? I would like to try 1/16" or 1-/32"? diameter (im not sure which would fit better) in my xc-132 on an aga-t2 that I just got and bored out for the xc stuff but I couldn't find a good source and I'm not sure exactly what kind I need In the first place. any input here?

Your local Tractor Supply should have it. Just make sure you don't get the galvanized stuff. Here is a link of the 3/32" stuff which will fit the AGA-T2 great. I believe it has a 3/32" hole stock or maybe a little bigger than that. You can take a drill bit and check the hole size.

Koch Industries Cable, Stainless Steel, 7 x 7, 3/32 in. - Tractor Supply Online Store

Or you can get 10 feet of 3/32" or 1/16" from here.

McMaster-Carr

Also 25 feet of 3/32" on amazon.

Loos Stainless Steel 316 Wire Rope, 7x7 Strand Core, 0.094" Bare OD, 25' Length, 700 lbs Breaking Strength: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And 25 feet of 1/16" on ebay.

1 16" 7x7 Stainless Steel T316 Cable Wire Rope 25' | eBay

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I think someone said they found out the Koch stuff was galvanized even though the listing does not specifically mention it. The McMaster-Carr stuff is not galvanized but it does have some "threads" in it that have to be removed before use.

I would contacts any supplier and verify that it is in fact not galvanized before placing an order.

Lhartman89

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2012
Canal Winchester, Ohio
I think someone said they found out the Koch stuff was galvanized even though the listing does not specifically mention it. The McMaster-Carr stuff is not galvanized but it does have some "threads" in it that have to be removed before use.

I would contacts any supplier and verify that it is in fact not galvanized before placing an order.

Well when I went into TSC, they had a row on the bottom that said galvanized and one above that did not. I got the one that did not say it was galvanized. It was also a little more expensive than the galvanized stuff but only by $0.20 or so. I paid $1.49 a foot for the 3/32" and I got 3 feet of it and cut about 5-6 wicks and still have 2 feet+ left lol. I believe the galvanized stuff was on blue spools and the other stuff was on red spools like in the pics on the link on TSC's website.

I also just found this:

fogmachineroy

Just got done reading this whole thread, took me 4 days to finish lol. Last weekend tried the SS cable for the first time after trying several different methods on my Aga-t2, and gotta say it has been the best genny experience I have had, actually the only good experience I've had. I've tried SS mesh oxidized and non oxidized and regular silica. I had to put it down though since I wasn't sure if the CC cable I got from OSH was galvanized or not. After reading the whole thread I think that it might be galvanized because the finish was different from the 7x19 that i got from OSH and also the stuff that I got from big69er, TY btw. I will be redoing the SS cable setup that I have in my aga-t2 with the cable that I got from big69er which i also checked with a magnet but sticks, but as others have mentioned on this thread, some non galvanized SS cables are magnetic. I will also torch this SS cable too. Hopefully it rocks as good as the set up I have it it right now, 3/4 wrap of 28g kanthal. I might try ribbon on this one as well.

My cable is magnetic. So if the above it true, then mine is not galvanized. That is another thing I noticed. The stuff that said galvanized looked duller than the other stuff that I got. So I am pretty sure the stuff that doesn't say galvanized isn't galvanized. Now when buying stuff online, it is kind of hard to tell and is best to ask before you buy. But if you go to TSC, you should be alright as long as you get the stuff I listed above on the red spools. TSC doesn't list the galvanized stuff on their site for some reason or at least I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Well when I went into TSC, they had a row on the bottom that said galvanized and one above that did not. I got the one that did not say it was galvanized. It was also a little more expensive than the galvanized stuff but only by $0.20 or so. I paid $1.49 a foot for the 3/32" and I got 3 feet of it and cut about 5-6 wicks and still have 2 feet+ left lol. I believe the galvanized stuff was on blue spools and the other stuff was on red spools like in the pics on the link on TSC's website.

I also just found this:

My cable is magnetic. So if the above it true, then mine is not galvanized. That is another thing I noticed. The stuff that said galvanized looked duller than the other stuff that I got. So I am pretty sure the stuff that doesn't say galvanized isn't galvanized. Now when buying stuff online, it is kind of hard to tell and is best to ask before you buy. But if you go to TSC, you should be alright as long as you get the stuff I listed above on the red spools. TSC doesn't list the galvanized stuff on their site for some reason or at least I couldn't find it.

I am not saying you are wrong...but take a look at this red spool of Koch: Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

In the upper part of the description it does not say galvanized. But if you look closely lower in the page you see:
From the Manufacturer
3/32-Inch 7x7 Stainless Steel Galvanized Cable,

Also that post was in reply to someone that claimed that ONLY galvanized was magnetic. Which really is not true because it all depends on how much iron is in the SS that makes it magnetic or not. There are three basic types of SS based on their Iron, Chomium and Nickle make up. Galvanization does not change the iron content, it only applies a zinc coating to the cable.

Again I am not saying what you have is galvanized or that you are in any way wrong, I just suggest making sure you know the exact part number, and either checking the manufacturer web site, or contacting them to making sure. An ounce of prevention being worth more than a pound of cure and all.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Can someone please tell me what width and length cable I need for a steam turbine? I'm going to order some of the precut non galvanized cable but I need to know the dimensions I need. Thanks!

I do not know of any supplier that sells by the inch. Most likely you are going to have to get it by the foot and cut it yourself.....unless you know of a supplier that will pre-cut. If you did find such a supplier...please share.

If you do have to self cut, then you would be wise to pick up a rotary cutting tool and some cutoff wheels.

manji1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Dayton OH
I do not know of any supplier that sells by the inch. Most likely you are going to have to get it by the foot and cut it yourself.....unless you know of a supplier that will pre-cut. If you did find such a supplier...please share.

If you do have to self cut, then you would be wise to pick up a rotary cutting tool and some cutoff wheels.
I found this on ebay. Obv more expensive than cutting yourself but saves the hassle. Stainless Steel Cable Rope Wick 2mm 2 5mm 3mm 5 Pack 7x19 316 Non Galvanized | eBay

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I found this on ebay. Obv more expensive than cutting yourself but saves the hassle. Stainless Steel Cable Rope Wick 2mm 2 5mm 3mm 5 Pack 7x19 316 Non Galvanized | eBay

That is kind of nice. Two things though. First, if you need shorter lengths you kind of get ripped off since the price is the same for all lengths. Some people who don't have a rotary tool might not care though. The second thing is that from what I have read in this thread (mostly from the OP of this thread), the 7x7 rope wicks better than the 7x19 (that this guy is selling). Of course, as always, YMMV. I say go for it, the worst that can happen is you waste $6.49, and it may turn out to work just fine.

Sorry i can't be more helpful on what size is needed for that particular atty though.

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar
I started few days ago to play with wire rope for a first time. At first I was extremely happy with setup, i used 2mm 7x19 wire rope on RSST atty with 4 turns of 0.35 kanthal wire. But it works flawlessly only when tank is full, when it reaches one half of tank vape starting to be bad and when i have 1/3 of juice on my tank i'm starting to get burn taste and simply it doesn't wick enough. I also tried 1.5mm wire rope on my mini did clone and i got same results, it works well at a beginning, but after half of tank it starts to be bad. I can fulfill my atty more often, but when i want to change flavor i want to using it until is emty, i could do it with mesh.
Am i doing something wrong or this is common case for wire rope?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
That is kind of nice. Two things though. First, if you need shorter lengths you kind of get ripped off since the price is the same for all lengths. Some people who don't have a rotary tool might not care though. The second thing is that from what I have read in this thread (mostly from the OP of this thread), the 7x7 rope wicks better than the 7x19 (that this guy is selling). Of course, as always, YMMV. I say go for it, the worst that can happen is you waste $6.49, and it may turn out to work just fine.

Sorry i can't be more helpful on what size is needed for that particular atty though.

i gather that its been determined that wire snips wont work to avoid fraying. correct? is the rotary tool the only way to cut the steel cable? if so im sticking with mesh. after all, i'd still need mesh up top under the coil which would incur the same shorting problems as an entire wick made of mesh, i presume.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I started few days ago to play with wire rope for a first time. At first I was extremely happy with setup, i used 2mm 7x19 wire rope on RSST atty with 4 turns of 0.35 kanthal wire. But it works flawlessly only when tank is full, when it reaches one half of tank vape starting to be bad and when i have 1/3 of juice on my tank i'm starting to get burn taste and simply it doesn't wick enough. I also tried 1.5mm wire rope on my mini did clone and i got same results, it works well at a beginning, but after half of tank it starts to be bad. I can fulfill my atty more often, but when i want to change flavor i want to using it until is emty, i could do it with mesh.
Am i doing something wrong or this is common case for wire rope?

Toward the beginning of this thread they discuss how 7x7 rope wicked much better than 7x19. I would suggest trying that before giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread