Witcher 75W fault. Advice, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2017
Hi guys,

I received the Rofvape Witcher 75W mod and Fogstar 18650 batteries via Amazon yesterday & today. The Witcher is making a high pitched sound whilst firing, and not producing any vapour. The tank itself is working fine, however, as tested on my old Innokin Cool Fire IV Plus mod.

When using the Innokin's ISUB APEX tank on the Witcher mod, it will not fire at all, and a message reading "battery too weak" pops up on screen.

However, it will produce vapour from both tested tanks and not make any high pitched sounds as long as the wattage is set below 30W.

I made the following video to help illustrate the problem

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi guys,

I received the Rofvape Witcher 75W mod and Fogstar 18650 batteries via Amazon yesterday & today. The Witcher is making a high pitched sound whilst firing, and not producing any vapour. The tank itself is working fine, however, as tested on my old Innokin Cool Fire IV Plus mod.

When using the Innokin's ISUB APEX tank on the Witcher mod, it will not fire at all, and a message reading "battery too weak" pops up on screen.

However, it will produce vapour from both tested tanks and not make any high pitched sounds as long as the wattage is set below 30W.

I made the following video to help illustrate the problem

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Are you sure you are not in TC Mode with a Temperature Setting that is very Low?

Do you have, or does a Friend of yours have, another 18650 Battery you could Test the Mod with?

Aug 11, 2017
Are you sure you are not in TC Mode with a Temperature Setting that is very Low?

Do you have, or does a Friend of yours have, another 18650 Battery you could Test the Mod with?

Sorry, I don't understand what TC mode is. Witcher has NI200 mode, SS mode, TI 1 mode, and Power Mode. I've been using power mode. I have also not been able to find a way to adjust the temperature settings; only the wattage.

Do you have another battery you can try in that?

zoiDman beat me to it. :)

I received 2 of the Fogstar batteries, neither of which are making any difference. I have nothing else to use, unfortunately, as my previous Innokin mod had a built-in battery.

Reactions: stols001

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Do you have another mod you can test the battery in? You may need to get another battery to rule out the battery being the problem. One of these are most recommended:
IMG_4813.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know you location but is it possible since you bought your batteries off Amazon that they could be rewraps? I think that before assuming the mod is defective, it would be helpful to try some other batteries in the mod (maybe a friend who vapes could help you out? Could also try a Brick and Mortar vape store?

It is POSSIBLE that your mod is having an electrical issue, but I wouldn't assume that without trying some other batteries.... Again, a B&M vape shop may be able to be of assistance. But "battery too weak" really makes me think it's the batteries.

Anna

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry, I don't understand what TC mode is. Witcher has NI200 mode, SS mode, TI 1 mode, and Power Mode. I've been using power mode. I have also not been able to find a way to adjust the temperature settings; only the wattage.

I received 2 of the Fogstar batteries, neither of which are making any difference. I have nothing else to use, unfortunately, as my previous Innokin mod had a built-in battery.

TC = Temperature Control.

In TC Mode, the Mod Limits how hot the Coil can get via a Temperature that the User sets.

Power Mode just outputs the Voltage needed to make whatever Watts you have the Mod set to. If you are in Power Mode and set to 35 Watts, you should get about the Same Hit as if you switch the Tank to another Mod set to 35 Watts in Power Mode.

Just for Fun, I would Poke around the Menu/Settings and find the Temperature Limit for TC Mode. Then set it to 440F/225C. Then set the Mod back to Power Mode.

Maybe the Mod is Switching to TC somehow?

---

Do you have a Vape Shop near you. If so, maybe you could go there and ask them if you could Test your Mod with one of their Batteries that they know works.

Aug 11, 2017
Do you have another mod you can test the battery in? You may need to get another battery to rule out the battery being the problem. One of these are most recommended:
View attachment 706295

No, these are my only batteries and Witcher's the only mod I have requiring the user to put in their own battery. This sucks :( Perhaps I'll just have to buy one of those batteries, then

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
No, these are my only batteries and Witcher's the only mod I have requiring the user to put in their own battery. This sucks :( Perhaps I'll just have to buy one of those batteries, then
Do you have a vape shop near you, or a friend that vapes that can test the battery in their mod?

Aug 11, 2017
I don't know you location but is it possible since you bought your batteries off Amazon that they could be rewraps? I think that before assuming the mod is defective, it would be helpful to try some other batteries in the mod (maybe a friend who vapes could help you out? Could also try a Brick and Mortar vape store?

It is POSSIBLE that your mod is having an electrical issue, but I wouldn't assume that without trying some other batteries.... Again, a B&M vape shop may be able to be of assistance. But "battery too weak" really makes me think it's the batteries.

Anna

By re-wraps do you mean already used, broken, and wrapped up again? I mean, I'd doubt it because they're immaculate, came in a little plastic bag as they're meant to, a solid battery case, came via Amazon Prime...and they were the recommended buy when bought with Witcher.

I could try going in to a vape shop and seeing if they could help, that's not a bad idea! Yeah, I'm really not sure what's to blame here.

TC = Temperature Control.

In TC Mode, the Mod Limits how hot the Coil can get via a Temperature that the User sets.

Power Mode just outputs the Voltage needed to make whatever Watts you have the Mod set to. If you are in Power Mode and set to 35 Watts, you should get about the Same Hit as if you switch the Tank to another Mod set to 35 Watts in Power Mode.

Just for Fun, I would Poke around the Menu/Settings and find the Temperature Limit for TC Mode. Then set it to 440F/225C. Then set the Mod back to Power Mode.

Maybe the Mod is Switching to TC somehow?

---

Do you have a Vape Shop near you. If so, maybe you could go there and ask them if you could Test your Mod with one of their Batteries that they know works.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification! The thing is, I literally can't find any way in which to adjust the Celsius/Fahrenheit. I've read that it should be asking me about the temperature after I select the wattage after choosing a mode, but it never does.

I think I'll find a shop to go to :(

Since this is your first external battery mod.... Did you charge them when you received them? Most external batteries come partially charged as they store better that way and don't discharge as quickly. Just thought I'd ask (and no offense intended).

Anna

No offense taken! That's another weird thing about this mod...I put the battery in the mod, used the micro USB cable provided with the mod to try to charge it, and nothing happened, no matter how many times I tried to turn it on. Then, totally randomly, it turned itself on, like, 10 minutes later, and it read that the battery was full.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Ahh, thanks for the clarification! The thing is, I literally can't find any way in which to adjust the Celsius/Fahrenheit. I've read that it should be asking me about the temperature after I select the wattage after choosing a mode, but it never does.

I think I'll find a shop to go to :(

In some Mod's, navigating the Menu System or changing the TC Settings can be an Exercise in Finger Gymnastics.

LOL

Going to a Vape Shop and seeing what they say sounds like a Good Call.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Much strangeness! I wouldn't count on batteries being rewrapped and still looking good, sometimes off brand or rewrap batteries can be fairly convincing. Sometimes the only way to know for sure (and you may or may not want to do this) is to unwrap them and see what's printed on the metal.

Maybe nothing happened because the battery was charging up when you plugged it into the USB port, but still, that behavior sounds a bit odd. I could see the mod turning on after it had charged enough to be usable, but I'm not sure it should have been reading "full" after 10 minutes given the rate of charge (usually) on a USB port and where battery voltages are usually stored at. So, it could definitely be a fault in the mod but I'm out of ideas.

Vape shop is sounding good to me, hopefully they can be of some help so you know whether the problem is the mod, the batteries or (hopefully not) both.

Good luck resolving your mystery. Although the first thing I would do if I was in that situation is take the batteries out, get them to what you KNOW is full charge on an external charger (I am assuming you have one, but if you don't it is highly recommended to use an external charger and NOT USB for most mods, so that may be something to add to the list. But, if you've gotten an indication of full charge on your CHARGER, if it's a decent charger you should be fairly sure that that particular battery is at full charge and can put it in the mod to see how it behaves THEN. If that doesn't do something for you, I'd recommend a vape shop and hopefully a somewhat knowledgeable employee.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: ExtremeDooty
Aug 11, 2017
Was the vendor (on Amazon) Fogstar themselves?

Yes, it was.

In some Mod's, navigating the Menu System or changing the TC Settings can be an Exercise in Finger Gymnastics.

LOL

Going to a Vape Shop and seeing what they say sounds like a Good Call.

Haha, my Innokin was so much simpler to use!

I went to the vapour shop and the 2 guys helping me had never encountered this problem before. They put a new battery into my Witcher and it worked, though it was reading that the battery was fullfull when it was only about 50%. My mod couldn't charge it, either.

And when my Fogstar battery was tested in HIS mod, it read that the battery was completely dead (my mod was reading that it was full).

So, he said it could be the mod's pin or firmware, or that it could've been knocked around during transport. Sending both the batteries and the mod back and getting a replacement!

Much strangeness! I wouldn't count on batteries being rewrapped and still looking good, sometimes off brand or rewrap batteries can be fairly convincing. Sometimes the only way to know for sure (and you may or may not want to do this) is to unwrap them and see what's printed on the metal.

Maybe nothing happened because the battery was charging up when you plugged it into the USB port, but still, that behavior sounds a bit odd. I could see the mod turning on after it had charged enough to be usable, but I'm not sure it should have been reading "full" after 10 minutes given the rate of charge (usually) on a USB port and where battery voltages are usually stored at. So, it could definitely be a fault in the mod but I'm out of ideas.

Vape shop is sounding good to me, hopefully they can be of some help so you know whether the problem is the mod, the batteries or (hopefully not) both.

Good luck resolving your mystery. Although the first thing I would do if I was in that situation is take the batteries out, get them to what you KNOW is full charge on an external charger (I am assuming you have one, but if you don't it is highly recommended to use an external charger and NOT USB for most mods, so that may be something to add to the list. But, if you've gotten an indication of full charge on your CHARGER, if it's a decent charger you should be fairly sure that that particular battery is at full charge and can put it in the mod to see how it behaves THEN. If that doesn't do something for you, I'd recommend a vape shop and hopefully a somewhat knowledgeable employee.

Anna

I'm not going to unwrap them because I'm quite convinced they're legit, and I really don't want to risk not getting a refund LOL.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll also invest in a separate battery charger now, I think :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
By re-wraps do you mean already used, broken, and wrapped up again? I mean, I'd doubt it because they're immaculate, came in a little plastic bag as they're meant to, a solid battery case, came via Amazon Prime...and they were the recommended buy when bought with Witcher.
When we refer to "rewrapped" batteries we also mean rebranded batteries. They may actually be brand new, but who knows what cell is under the plastic cover. Rebranded batteries can be anything from rewrapped used cells from a laptop, to new poor quality cells sold to suppliers because they didn't meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. A pretty new wrap on an inferior battery cell does not validate the higher prices that they are frequently sold at. Why buy those if you can get a top quality cell manufactured by LG, Samsung, or Sony (original manufacturer) for about $5 - $7?

By the way, I'd be extremely cautious buying batteries from Ebay or Amazon. Best to buy from more reputable battery suppliers like:

Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery?

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?
Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Guide to help a novice in choosing a charger. Covers recommended brands, suggestions for the number of charging bays you'll need, independent bays, LED or LCD models, and "smart chargers".

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Fogstar appear to sell original and rewrapped batteries with their own branding. It's not clear if the rewraps are the same genuine Sony Samsung HG ones with 'cool' markings, or just rewrapped C bin garbage.
In one hand (assuming they are genuine) batteries of known performance.
In the other, cracker-jack peanut surprise guess whats under the plastic lucky dip specials.
Seems and easy choice to me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread