Wood Mod Running 2x AW IMR 16340 batteries question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcannon1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Savannah, GA
I just picked up a Gepetto Art wood mod that takes 2x 16340 batteries. I'm running AW IMR 550 mAh batteries in it. The voltage indicator shows the remaining voltage for (I'm guessing) both batteries combined after pressing the activation button. So when fully charged it usually reads 8.2 I believe.

My question is, off those readings, when should I switch the batteries out and charge them? I've heard some people say they charge batteries at 3.5 or 3.6 volts remaining, so does that mean when the screen reads 7.2 or so I should recharge?

Thanks in advance

This is similar to the mod I've got if that helps clarify:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Last edited:

DaTank

Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
United States
I assume you are using them paired in a regulated PV. I'd have no problem running them down to 6.5V. That's still well above AW's spec of 2.5V each and I assume AW's 550mAh rating is in fact based on a 2.5V cut-off.

6.5 has the battery at 3.25 volts a cell, which is dangerously low for a lipo. 2.5v is almost guaranteed damage to the cell in terms of either capacity or lifespan. I would not reuse a lipo that has dropped to those voltages without carefully monitoring it.

The way lipos hold charge, there is not a linear use of mAh's and Volts. The majority of the battery's capacity is help in the upper voltages, and once the battery gets to a low voltage, it take very few mAh's drawn to drop the voltage a large amount.

Therefore there isn't much usable time between 3.6v and 3.2v. The main difference is taking the cells to a lower voltage decreases the lifespan.

I fly RC's and never take my lipo batteries below 3.7v a cell. Since both RC's and ecigs use relatively high draw lipos, the charging tactics and care should be similar. There is also no damage done by charging a partially discharged cell.

3.6 is a safe voltage, however I wouldn't go too much lower.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
6.5 has the battery at 3.25 volts a cell, which is dangerously low for a lipo. 2.5v is almost guaranteed damage to the cell in terms of either capacity or lifespan. I would not reuse a lipo that has dropped to those voltages without carefully monitoring it.

The way lipos hold charge, there is not a linear use of mAh's and Volts. The majority of the battery's capacity is help in the upper voltages, and once the battery gets to a low voltage, it take very few mAh's drawn to drop the voltage a large amount.

Therefore there isn't much usable time between 3.6v and 3.2v. The main difference is taking the cells to a lower voltage decreases the lifespan.

I fly RC's and never take my lipo batteries below 3.7v a cell. Since both RC's and ecigs use relatively high draw lipos, the charging tactics and care should be similar. There is also no damage done by charging a partially discharged cell.

3.6 is a safe voltage, however I wouldn't go too much lower.
First of all we are not talking about LiPos or RCs. I know nothing about LiPos and frankly could care less about how they work.

2.5v is almost guaranteed damage to the cell in terms of either capacity or lifespan
Since when did 3.25V become 2.5? :facepalm:

Have you actually used and vaped a mod with a couple cells in series? The difference in vapetime between cutting off at 7.2 vs. 6.5V is significant and noticeable.

To take an already puny 550mAh cell and only use ~300mAh is not something I care to do, nor do I worry about coddling $5 cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread