World Book Night 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Not sure how many people know about this but tonight is World Book Night 2012.

Here in the uk (I believe there are similar evernts in other countries too) there are thousands of volunteers giving away tens of thousands of books. It is not a con and there is no catch, it is a gift for you to read and enjoy. For more details just google World Boook Night 2012.

This is a cause I believe in for many reasons, there are many people who despite living in a developed world are still unable to read but reading is a means to gain knowledge as well as being an enjoyable passtime. I always remember one author saying "A good book can be just as good as a holiday" and for me it is true, I can't always afford to go away but when reading a book I can be taken to wherever my own imagination takes me along with the story.
Reading an book lending also supports our local services, in the uk there are many libraries that are being closed but if they are promoted and used the councils will keep them open and improve them.

I'm sharing this with you all because it is a cause close to my heart and I also see it this way, if I couldn't read I wouldn't have read about our wonderful pv's and the joys of vaping (so would still have been on the stinky sticks).

Lets all share what we are currently reading and if you aren't normally a reader, try picking up a book and losing yourself in the wonderful world of literature.

I am currently working my way through Agatha Christie's novels and Kathy Riechs' Viral series, for world book night I gave away copies of Audrey Niffernegger's Time Travellers Wife on the train as part of my daily commute this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread