World Premiering at GotVapes - The Katady ePower 3 VV/VW 3400mah Power Bank with Auto/Manual Switchable and 4 GIG Flash Memory! Bonus HD Protection In

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannoman

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Sugar Land, Texas USA
Yes and actually the unit itself weighs only 4.7 ounces without carto...the weight you see in the site is shipping weight which inc the presentation box, charger, etc

Not even close! The VTR shipping weight is 1.5lbs the Epower3 comes in a .56lbs. A lot of difference!

greyfox

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2010
Nacon, the kayfun should work great, although it might look a little odd atop the mod since the Epower 3 is only 16.5mm thick :) It's not rated for sub ohms though and according to specs only fires between 1 - 5 ohm coils so keep your build within those limits and you're good to go, in theory at least. I don't know what the amp limit is on the device yet but once mine gets here in a couple of days I'll update you on that.

greyfox

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2010
Katady Epower 3 - Greyfox's Review and Thoughts

Okay, I've had the mod for a solid day and so far it seems to be quite the little workhorse for a device that is smaller than a lot of phones people use these days. Before I get started, mad props to Got Vapes for stellar shipping; the mod got here in 2 days, which is absolutely fantastic service in my opinion. They even included a pre-wrapped candy to suck on while you vape, a nice touch.

So, to the device. It comes in a nice sturdy box with a plinth, a charger and two protective films which I haven't used but the measurements look to be spot on. The included manual is a bit sparse on information although it is sufficient to get on with. A few of the words are off (bad translation?) as I have come to expect from these mods out of China. No amp limit was listed for the internal battery, but I'll get to that later.

I chose the white version to cut down on fingerprints and I must say, when I first took it out of the box it thoroughly impressed me with its quality and looks. The fit and finish is wonderful and it's very hard to find something physically off to complain about. In fact, I would say it's damn near perfect except for a tiny screw on the bottom of the mod that feels a bit rough to the touch, but that's REALLY nitpicking and shouldn't matter a bit to most people.

One thing of note, the mod did not come pre-charged and it takes a good long while to charge a 3400 mAh battery. For testing purposes I took it off charge when the battery indicator was full but the fire button still showed red. It didn't go to blue until I charged it overnight. So far battery life has been excellent and I am an extremely heavy vaper, but I have yet to put it through it's full paces over an extended period of time. I'll post a follow up when I know a bit more.

Right, on to operations. It's a one button device, three clicks to turn it on. The Katady logo hangs on the screen for a few seconds and you're good to go, although I will say that the menu is a bit touchy to navigate. You click the button three more times (it is a VERY clicky button by the way) and it brings up the system settings menu where you can select wattage up, wattage down, working mode, smoking mode, puffs clear, usb output, standby time and power off to switch off the device. This is the only way to switch off, which is a little inconvenient but it's not terrible.

The mod goes from 3 to 6 volts in .1 increments or 3 to 15 watts in .5 increments, the modes are changed in the working mode section of the settings screen and the up / down selections change to reflect the working mode. All good so far. The smoking mode is an interesting feature, and allows you to set the device from manual to automatic so that you don't have to press and hold the fire button. You can set it from 2 seconds to 10 seconds (The cutoff limit of the mod) in .5 second increments and with a single click the mod fires for the preset time. It works great but I prefer the manual setting myself.

You can set the usb output to different amps to meet the needs of various device should you need to use the mod as a portable power pack. It allows for 1a, 1.5a and 2a output so you can charge just about any tablet, phone or other vaping device as needed. The standby time adjustment is really nice (this bit should make Phil Busardo happy if he decides to review the mod) and allows you to choose how long the screen stays lit after you press the fire button, from 5 seconds up to 5 minutes!

When plugging the mod into a usb port on a computer, it does register as a flash drive with an advertised 4 gig capacity in case you want to carry data, audio, pics, whatever. When I plugged it in it had a Chinese notepad file on the drive, I assume for testing purposes, which had 1-9 in sequence. My laptop reads it as having 3.78 gigs available, not 4 as advertised, but since I doubt I'll ever use this function it doesn't really matter to me.

How does it vape? It does a decent job but I have concerns about the power output in relation to the ohms on the coil you attach to the mod. I can't be entirely sure since the amp limit is not disclosed, but the mod seems just a bit underpowered for me although it is a joy to use. I have to keep it at 15 watts to get a satisfactory vape off my Kanger Aerotank Mini and it still doesn't perform to the level of a Mig Cigs SR72 1300 mAh battery set to around 4 volts. I get about a 1/4 less vapor from the Epower, using a 1.8 ohm coil, which makes me think the amp limit is kicking when I really wish it wouldn't. It seems like it's firing at around 3.7 volts maximum on a 1.8 ohm coil, but I don't have the testing equipment Busardo has so I can't verify that for you and it's only my best guess. Coils over 2 ohms don't seem to have this problem though, and no rattlesnake noise, so if it is pulse width modulated it's at a nice high frequency.

Well, that's about everything. It's a good little device coming in at around $70 dollars from Got Vapes and it does a fair job at vaping although it might be a bit underpowered for some people and it certainly won't meet the needs of anyone who sub ohms so be forewarned on that score. Hope this has been helpful and I'll update you if any issues pop up with the mod but for now, that's What the Fox Says :)

*UPDATE*

I forgot to mention the mod does have an ego threaded 510 connection with an adjustable pin in case you want to use recessed tanks. The device really is rather tiny so anything wider than 16.5mm won't sit flush. I wanted to note that there is a little bit of wiggle when using a recessed tank like the Aerotank mini or the Aspire SR72 tanks; I think the ego threading on the Epower doesn't quite fit properly with the tanks due to the length of the connection itself. Using a plinth with a non-recessed tank like the various Kayfun styles eliminates this issue entirely but I thought I should mention it just to be thorough.

Last edited:

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
I now have 3 of these (all bought from gotvapes). I do enjoy using them. Love the form factor. Using my inline tester I can say for sure that it is very under powered. According to the e power my atty is 2.4ohms (this part is correct). For this test i was using a Kanger Protank mini V2 with a standard 2.4 single coil head. My output is set at 12 watts. Using my Inline tester my readings are 2.4ohms on the atty and my output is 3.4 volts and 4.8 watts. This is clearly far below my settings. I agree with the previous review that this unit must be run at 15 watts to be even close to my normal 6.5 watt using on my other devices. I am also noticing a very obvious rattle snake effect. This really doesn't bother me, just mentioning it in case this is a problem for others.

As for battery life, I can't say how long it will go before dead. I charged until I got the blue light. As of now I'm sitting at 293 10 second draws and have what looks to be around 60% battery left. I'll update as soon as I manage to kill one.

So far in spite of the power issues, I do really like the device. It's quite small and very light. Since the fire button is slightly recessed it's pocket/purse friendly. The menu system is pretty simple to navigate. Longevity for the device is yet to be seen. I'm hoping it will last at least as long as my MVP2.

Last edited:

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I now have 3 of these. I do enjoy using them. Love the form factor. Using my inline tester I can say for sure that it is very underpowered. According to the e power my atty is 2.4ohms (this part is correct). For this test i was using a Kanger Protank mini V2 with a standard 2.4 single coil head. My output is set at 12 watts. Using my Inline tester my readings are 2.4ohms on the atty and my output is 3.4 volts and 4.8 watts. This is clearly far below my settings. I agree with the previous review that this unit must be run at 15 watts to be even close to my normal 6.5 watt using on my other devices. I am also noticing a very obvious rattle snake effect. This really doesn't bother me, just mentioning it in case this is a problem for others.

As for battery life, I can't say how long it will go before dead. I charged until I got the blue light. As of now I'm sitting at 293 10 second draws and have what looks to be around 60% battery left. I'll update as soon as I manage to kill one.

So far in spite of the power issues, I do really like the device. It's quite small and very light. Since the fire button is slightly recessed it's pocket/purse friendly. The menu system is pretty simple to navigate. Longevity for the device is yet to be seen. I'm hoping it will last at least as long as my MVP2.

More than likely, and what is often not mentioned, are what amp output a device is limited too.

Using the numbers you listed, if correct and it is a unit from GotVapes and not a fake... it appears to have a 1.5a limit but that doesn't make much sense since it would require more than 10v output and support a 6Ω load to be able to achieve 15w

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Your in-line volt meter may not be able to accurately measure the output voltage of the device. The output of a VV/VW PV is not a steady-state direct current. It is a pulse train. Pulse Width Modulation regulation may not be measurable on a low-end meter (depending on the design of the regulator circuit).

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
Your in-line volt meter may not be able to accurately measure the output voltage of the device. The output of a VV/VW PV is not a steady-state direct current. It is a pulse train. Pulse Width Modulation regulation may not be measurable on a low-end meter (depending on the design of the regulator circuit).
That is entirely possible. I am using taste and vapor as my guide with these more than anything. As a rule I run all of my Protanks at 6.5 watts on my Zmax as well as my mvp2. In order to get anywhere near the vapor and flavor production that my other mods get I have to run the e power at 12 watts or a bit higher. For me personally this really isn't a big deal. I'm not a cloud chaser so it's no problem. I just think the amp limit on these are either really low or the built in meter in the device is a little off. As long as they stay consistent I am a happy camper.

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
I finally managed to kill 2 of them. Running 2.4ohm single coil tanks at 9.5 watts it took exactly 550 10 second hits for them to reach red and show nothing on the battery meter.they both ran dead at exactly 550 hits. Obviously different setups with ohms and power could effect that number for others, but now you all have an idea at least of what you can expect.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I finally managed to kill 2 of them. Running 2.4ohm single coil tanks at 9.5 watts it took exactly 550 10 second hits for them to reach red and show nothing on the battery meter.they both ran dead at exactly 550 hits. Obviously different setups with ohms and power could effect that number for others, but now you all have an idea at least of what you can expect.

If these are the numbers you are using on a Kanger coil... you are overpowering above their recommended rating. Their 2.4-2.6Ω coils are rated for 3.8-4.1v.... 9.5w would put you at 4.775v ...

Suitable voltages for Kanger single coil's...

1.7-1.9Ω -- 3.1-3.3v
2.1-2.3Ω -- 3.4-3.7v
2.4-2.6Ω -- 3.8-4.1v
2.6-3.0Ω -- 4.2-4.5v

Parmacrafter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2009
Parma, Idaho, USA
If these are the numbers you are using on a Kanger coil... you are overpowering above their recommended rating. Their 2.4-2.6Ω coils are rated for 3.8-4.1v.... 9.5w would put you at 4.775v ...

Suitable voltages for Kanger single coil's...

1.7-1.9Ω -- 3.1-3.3v
2.1-2.3Ω -- 3.4-3.7v
2.4-2.6Ω -- 3.8-4.1v
2.6-3.0Ω -- 4.2-4.5v
These are the very same coils I was running at 6.5 watts on all my other devices. On this device running at 9.5 watts it is still not giving me the flavor and vapor I was getting on my other devices at 6.5. I'm pretty sure epower 3 is a bit under what the device claims.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
These are the very same coils I was running at 6.5 watts on all my other devices. On this device running at 9.5 watts it is still not giving me the flavor and vapor I was getting on my other devices at 6.5. I'm pretty sure epower 3 is a bit under what the device claims.

My last post had nothing to do with flavor etc... it was about you popping the coils that you mentioned ( ie killing them )

section88co

Jul 24, 2014
Denver, Co
I purchased this a few weeks ago and can't even use it! I normally vape 1.5-2.0 ohm coils and have a bunch of other mods (vapor shark, Itaste MVP, hana clones etc) and this just seems to put out no power at all. When on max voltage or wattage I get about 20% of the vapor I get out of other mods with the same tank. I normally vape at 8-11 watts with most my tanks so I dont think I am asking to much from the device. Is there any warranty support for these or are they all this bad? Thanks!

woody55

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
I purchased this a few weeks ago and can't even use it! I normally vape 1.5-2.0 ohm coils and have a bunch of other mods (vapor shark, Itaste MVP, hana clones etc) and this just seems to put out no power at all. When on max voltage or wattage I get about 20% of the vapor I get out of other mods with the same tank. I normally vape at 8-11 watts with most my tanks so I dont think I am asking to much from the device. Is there any warranty support for these or are they all this bad? Thanks!
Contact me at igotvapes.com so I can get your information on when you purchased it to see if it is in warranty or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread