Wow, really?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimXero

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
Seffner, Florida
Ok, as i've mentioned before i work for the Florida Department of Corrections. I just passed my 6 month mark. I've vaped on and off nearly that entire time. I've always brought my PV's to work, with no issues (some funny looks, some questions, but nothing more). Well yesterday, on my 6 month anniversary, the Interdiction team showed up (the equivalent of Internal Affairs for our department, more or less). They were performing searches of ALL staff and visitors, and illicit substance testing. Well during the search, my PV's came into question, more specifically the e-liquid. They said since they couldn't identify the "unknown liquid" in the bottle, i wouldn't be allowed to take it on the compound. And since i didn't have a key to the car i came in (i ride with a friend), they confiscated it. All of it. PV's, liquid, spare atty's, spare battery, the whole 9. I have to go without it until i can see the warden.

To clarify, I'm not upset at the fact they confiscated it; i understand why they did it. We're in a controlled environment, and they can't be too careful. But the bottles were labeled, they wrote me a confiscation receipt that says "two bottles of unknown liquid substance, labeled 'liquid nicotine'", so that's confusing. And i'm aggravated that i had/have to go 2 days without it. They were there when we got there and stayed until after we left; why couldn't i retrieve it from them? I guess i'm not really looking for answers to these questions, just looking to vent a little bit. Thanks for listening.

Hygroscopic

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
United States
Thier issue probably isn't the fact it is nicotine, but how it is labeled. Can they be sure something else isn't in it? That it isn't a cover to slip in other contraband? Say that nine times out of ten it is ejuice and the tenth time it is something else in that bottle. Or at least that is where their thought process is deriving from.

AFAIK & FWIW you are on the level. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.
I could see why they'd tag and bag it. Just to err on the side of caution.

Yeah it's not the same but perhaps consider cartos/an adapter with cartos for work?

BiohazardVideo

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
From one who's been on the other side of your job i can speak with some authority... Some guards smuggled in various drugs and they had no idea if the opened bottle was what it said. As a responsible vaper, in your line of work, you probably should have cleared your vape kit prior to taking it into a secure facility. I'm not putting you down, I was one of the "good inmates" that followed the rules, did my time and got out to lead a productive life. I was friends with many guards, but their are the bad ones looking to pad their wallet in wrong ways. In the future, take your kit to a supervisor and make everything on the up and up. I pray for your success and also for your vaping rights.

BiohazardVideo

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
If your supervisor knew about it and you had clearance then go to your supervisor and file a grievance, if it was cleared their should be no issue. when the Interdiction team came through the facility I was at the captain over ruled a bunch of crap they tried to pull. they were really peaved, but he cleared non issue sunglasses for a guy with a prescription and they were "designer frames" they tried to take them saying they "were a gift for favors" even though they had prescription lenses in them.... Petty BS...

Biomom

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm granted totally unfamiliar with drugs, etc. But, *what* in the world else could it have been?

I've ordered from half a dozen different liquid sellers, and Johnson Creek has the most "official looking" bottle label
containing a full explanation of the contents and ingredients.

Not to promote anti-authority (even when they're idiots), but maybe just transfer your juice to benign containers,
like an iodine bottle well washed/run thru dishwasher/boiled or a Visine bottle? Or refill a Johnson Creek bottle with
your favorite juice.

Good luck!

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
I'm granted totally unfamiliar with drugs, etc. But, *what* in the world else could it have been?

In color and consistency, several of the liquids I've used look like hash oil (and they even carry it in similar dripper bottles)

I've ordered from half a dozen different liquid sellers, and Johnson Creek has the most "official looking" bottle label
containing a full explanation of the contents and ingredients.

Not to promote anti-authority (even when they're idiots), but maybe just transfer your juice to benign containers,
like an iodine bottle well washed/run thru dishwasher/boiled or a Visine bottle? Or refill a Johnson Creek bottle with
your favorite juice.

I happen to be quite anti-authority, but I think it might be a bad idea. If they took a look and realized it wasn't iodine, visine, or whatever bottle was used, then it would look MORE like he was smuggling contraband... might cause more of a problem than he had this time.

Good luck!

If leaving it in the car isn't too much of a hassle, that's what I'd do. I've found that dealing with petty inspector types, going out of my way to do things the way they want is easier than explaining why what I'm doing isn't wrong. For something this minor, it's not worth it...

Wilvin

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
.... Rapids,Mn
Do you know when this team comes to inspect? If you do then what good does that do? I mean if you know they are coming why would you have something illegal with you. Any way maybe find a company that has a label that looks official and transfer your juice to that. Too bad they took it from you, but like you said there is a reason for it. If they are not sure what it is, they can not let you slide. I hope the next time they come they don't take it from you.

Sainted_S

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Nether Iceland of NWPA
Being the cynic that I am I would probably just use the minimal amount of cartos you need for work or not bring the juice in at all. I have never worked in the prison system, however have alot of experience in the juvenile justice system. I mean, nicotine is a poison, if it somehow was stolen from you and there was an incident, it would come back on you. You know you have to watch yourself and drama and controversy happens all the time, you don't want to set yourself up if someone decides you'd be a nice person to set up.

OgreLokon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd just refill a cart, take a few hits, unzip front of pants and volunteer to do a drug test.

When it comes back clean, tell them to stick it..hehehe

Hash oil wouldn't show up immediately in a urine test. That tests for the drug metabolites, which is what is generated after your body is done with the active compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread