Clapton Coil messes up when Wrapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abezii

Jan 22, 2017
Helloso I'm building clapton coils, which i've done by hand and now with the daedalus pro. I also have a coil master DIY kit which comes with tools to wrap your own coils. What I've noticed when making wraps using the tools is that on some rotations the outer wire wrap will become spaced and on other parts it will stay tightly wrapped. In the first image you can see that counting from the left the first 2 wraps and the last one are spaced compared to the others. Is this common and I'm just being a perfectionist or should I be "concerned" In the second image is the other tool for wrapping, you put this cylinder on the one with the wire and twist, I think the outer wrapping of the clapton becomes spaced because as you can see in image two the little steel piece is ribbed.

Attachments

• image 1.jpeg
    image 1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
The wraps aren't tight enough. IMO wrapping claptons by holding the spool by hand is inefficient and the result is what your getting now. Exposed core wire just make the wraps almost useless and the vape gets too hot too fast so you may as well use a single wire coil. I made myself a clapton jig (piece of wood attached to a L bracket) that I clamp onto my desk and use the drill standing up. I made myself(you can buy also) a bobbin threader (YouTube)that I have quite tight so its hard to dispense the wire. On youtube I found a vid that he uses a empty protank head as a guide for the wrap wire. I set the wrap protank gizmo into place, the bobbin threader sits inside the PT chimney get the first few wraps going then let the spool dangle under the core as its wrapping. One hand on the trigger, other holding the core wire from jumping around if your not exactly center in the drill.
DON'T cheap out on the swivels, crappy swivels buck and jerk causing havoc on the wraps so use 2 or 3 good swivels together incase one ceases on you. My claptons don't separate at all when making a coil.
Bent up a coat hanger, a couple wooden mushroom caps or beads, heatshrink and a generic QTip shaft that happens to be hollow. The other thing is a spool holder made out of lego, holds temco spools great.
27EF6Na.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread