XC Nextel wick, is this stuff safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I wasn't going to . . . . . . since I've had no problems with it. I did notice tho, that in another thread you mention that you're frequently singeing your cotton wicks when vaping them. I'm not sure if burned cotton is good for you. Maybe do only one or the other for a week or so and see if the problem persists?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Inhaling anything other than moist vapour is probably not a good thing no matter the material. All I know is if you are getting any burned, singed, scorched areas that means you have a short or you are not getting enough liquid wicking onto your coils/wicks. Are you using a variable voltage/ wattage device? If so you might have the watts/volts set too high and not enough juice hitting the coils and you get burning.

If not using a VV or VW than maybe you are making your resistance too low?

steven445

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Ohio
Inhaling anything other than moist vapour is probably not a good thing no matter the material. All I know is if you are getting any burned, singed, scorched areas that means you have a short or you are not getting enough liquid wicking onto your coils/wicks. Are you using a variable voltage/ wattage device? If so you might have the watts/volts set too high and not enough juice hitting the coils and you get burning. If not using a VV or VW than maybe you are making your resistance too low?
Its at 2.7 ohms and I had so much juice in the atomizer that it was flooding. The nextel is working for me I just don't want something that is harming me. I want to get the cotton working. I use a Provari so it will let me know if their is a short. I had the voltage at 4.7. Yeah I highly doubt singed or burning cotton is any better for me than the nextel. I feel like the only way to solve the cotton is getting a REO because I have to drip on the cotton like every 2 hits and it floods by putting just a couple extra drops. The only thing that worries me about the REO is I heard its not good for SUB ohm coils and I wanted to get a mechanical that was good for that. I could just make the micro coils on the REO though lol. REO vs. Provari?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Here's my REO with a 0.5Ω coil in a phoenix I drilled out for goosing.

Here's my REO/RM2 with a .8Ω 26g micro coil.

I've done sub1 on the Natural and Telescope. Works as good on the REO.

But I don't think you should try to fix your dry-hits thing with new equipment. There's something amiss in your build, methinks. Got pics?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Its at 2.7 ohms and I had so much juice in the atomizer that it was flooding. The nextel is working for me I just don't want something that is harming me. I want to get the cotton working. I use a Provari so it will let me know if their is a short. I had the voltage at 4.7. Yeah I highly doubt singed or burning cotton is any better for me than the nextel. I feel like the only way to solve the cotton is getting a REO because I have to drip on the cotton like every 2 hits and it floods by putting just a couple extra drops. The only thing that worries me about the REO is I heard its not good for SUB ohm coils and I wanted to get a mechanical that was good for that. I could just make the micro coils on the REO though lol. REO vs. Provari?

Bro, comparing a REO to any non bottom fed mod is like comparing a swiss army knife to a butter knife :)

At any rate, you can run as low as you please on a mech REO. The VV Grand is the only one that won't fire a super low coil.

With a proper micro, you don't need sub ohm :)

steven445

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Ohio
Bro, comparing a REO to any non bottom fed mod is like comparing a swiss army knife to a butter knife :) At any rate, you can run as low as you please on a mech REO. The VV Grand is the only one that won't fire a super low coil. With a proper micro, you don't need sub ohm :)
I just can't get the cotton not to singe and the coil is on their just right its got to be something with the cotton. I keep trying new pieces and skinnier and skinnier and still burnt after like 20 minutes. Can you not take long hits with the cotton? Uggh I feel like I might have to have a REO lol! I have a picture on the micro thread, it looks pretty much just like that. My camera isn't great lol.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
Crap, I use Xc with a piece of cotton pulled through the center of it..........I use cotton for all sorts of rebuilds, gennys, Kayfun, killer, protank. So long as there is juice I never singe. I only use fiberbiuos cotton like from balls and face pads, I can't get the square wick stuff to....well wick. So long as I do my part and not choke the wick so it expands I get zerro burn. The only reason i put it in the Xc is to fatten it up and make wrapping a coil on it easyeir

Sorry misread the title, I'm using XS not XC. same material I think, just ones hollow and the others solid

Last edited:

steven445

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Ohio
Crap, I use Xc with a piece of cotton pulled through the center of it..........I use cotton for all sorts of rebuilds, gennys, Kayfun, killer, protank. So long as there is juice I never singe. I only use fiberbiuos cotton like from balls and face pads, I can't get the square wick stuff to....well wick. So long as I do my part and not choke the wick so it expands I get zerro burn. The only reason i put it in the Xc is to fatten it up and make wrapping a coil on it easyeir
I mean the cotton I have in right now shouldn't be burning, its not tight or loose. So many people are having success with the X cotton but mine singes way too easily. I haven't given up, its the end that is pulled through the coil that singes and it has plenty of juice. Any suggestions? Also does the Reo Grand only go to 3.7 volts with a 18650? I thought its 4.2 volts? I was just reading some reviews.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
I make my cotton wicks longer than I would with silica, my way of thinking is the slightly longer cotton wick holds a larger reserve of juice and therefore wont dry out and singe as quick. I also wrap my coil on a drill bit shank and make my wick so that is just touching the insides of the coil when I pull it threw and then I prime the crap out of it with juice before I put it all back together.

steven445

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
Ohio
I make my cotton wicks longer than I would with silica, my way of thinking is the slightly longer cotton wick holds a larger reserve of juice and therefore wont dry out and singe as quick. I also wrap my coil on a drill bit shank and make my wick so that is just touching the insides of the coil when I pull it threw and then I prime the crap out of it with juice before I put it all back together.
Maybe I should be making my wick longer because the piece coming out of the coil is pretty small so it would burn quickly. Alright I fixed the wick and put a new one in their that looks a lot better so I am hoping for the best! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread