Not open for further replies.

CHoKPoP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
usa
I got this from the Yelp website.

What are filtered reviews?

We try to showcase the most helpful and reliable reviews among the millions that are submitted to the site. Not all reviews make the cut, and those that don't are posted to a separate "Filtered Review" page. Filtered reviews don't factor into a business's overall star rating, but users can still read them by clicking on the link at the bottom of the business's profile page.
How do you decide which reviews to filter?

We use filtering software to determine which reviews should be filtered on any given day among the millions that are submitted to the site. The software looks at a wide range of data associated with every review. We invite you to watch this short video for more detail about how it all works.
Why was this particular review filtered?

We intentionally make the filter difficult to reverse engineer — otherwise, we would be overrun by reviews written by people hoping to game the system. So while it may be tough to decipher how the filter works, the rules are actually the same for every business and every review.
Is the filter ever wrong?

The filter sometimes affects perfectly legitimate reviews and misses some fake ones, too. After all, legitimate reviews sometimes look questionable, and questionable reviews sometimes look legitimate. We think the filter does a good job given the sheer volume of reviews and the difficulty of its task, but it doesn't really matter what we think — consumers will only use Yelp if we do a good job of showcasing the most helpful and reliable reviews.
Will you reinstate a legitimate review that was filtered?

The filter continually reevaluates its decisions based on the information at hand. As a result, it's fairly common to see reviews come and go as the filter picks up new information. Either way, business owners should probably focus less on any one review and more on their entire body of reviews. Reviewers, in turn, should contribute to the site and give the filter a chance to get to know them over the long-term.
Does the filter only target positive reviews?

No. The software applies the same analysis to everyone. It sometimes affects more positive reviews simply because Yelp users write more positive reviews in the first place. In other cases, it affects positive reviews that appear to have been solicited by business owners (a practice which may seem like a good way to generate more reviews, but which tends to create an unintentional bias). In any event, the filter affects both positive and negative reviews — feel free to check out a random sampling of businesses listed on Yelp to see for yourself.
Does the filter favor Yelp advertisers or punish the others?

No. Businesses cannot pay for favorable treatment. You'll find plenty of Yelp advertisers with negative reviews, and any number of non-advertisers with five-star ratings across the board. The filter doesn't punish non-advertisers, either. Feel free to check out the many highly rated businesses on Yelp that choose not to advertise on Yelp.
Why don't you just scrap the filter altogether and let every review count on its own merits?

We realized early on that some reviews were going to be better — and more reliable — than others. The filter establishes an objective standard against which every review can be measured. Even though it inevitably affects legitimate reviews from time to time and misses some fake ones, too, it helps protect the integrity of the site both for consumers (who will be less likely to be led astray by bogus reviews) and business owners (who will spend less time worrying about whether their competitors are writing negative reviews about them). We'd rather people think of Yelp as a source for reliable information from passionate and opinionated consumers than a platform for every single rant and rave.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah, I'd read through all of that ca-ca previously. I even had a rep from Yelp contact me about advertising on Yelp and I told them, I was not interested. When asked why, I explained about not thinking Yelp was really relevant to my interests because of their filter system. If customers who buy our products are kind enough to take the time to write reviews on our products, good OR bad, in my mind, that's completely valid and should not be tampered with. She explained night and day about the wonders of their filter system (which I'm sure she's required to do to keep her paycheck), but I stood by my guns. If 90% of the reviews I'm getting are knocked out by their filter, then to hell with Yelp.

If people want to use it as a means to find our store or know that it's there, that's about all it's good for.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah, these Yelp dung-monkeys keep trying to get me to sign up for their business services. I keep stating, why would I sign up my business for a service that is editing OUT 90% of the very things that would be drawing customers in. They keep droning on and on about what the god-send their precious filtering system is being that they're paid to blather about this "thing".

I keep shooting them down. They change their tune, I'll change mine.

oscill8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
sf bay area
Hi Geoff. I just recently wrote yall a Yelp review... I'm in there almost every week (sometimes back to back days... :)) so it's more than time for me to post one. Mine hasn't been filtered yet, I'm an Oakland local with other Oakland reviews so maybe that'll help. I do know one of my previous reviews was filtered; I asked the business owner about it since a LOT of his were filtered (over a hundred). Apparently Yelp was putting a squeeze to him as well about advertising and he declined, a bummer since it is a good service. For what it's worth, I always read filtered reviews but the filtered link can be hard to spot if you're not looking for it.

I will say that Yelp is how I found TV, and am glad I did.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah I understand why the filters are there as well, and while we have a good number of people who drop by our shop because they found us on Yelp, I can't concede to using the hell out of a service that would invariably irritate the very people that keep the business afloat. It's really invalidating if you take the time to write a review for something you enjoy, describe your passion about something and post it for others to see and some overly discriminate filter knicks it. It's invalidating as hell. But, whatever.

Yelp has been emailing and calling that because of the traffic on our page, we should really consider a business account with Yelp. As long as review filter is in place...Nah, I'll pass. My customers tend to bring me their levels of irritation with services we're using as if it's some that we can affect. The only thing I can do is assure them, tell them what I've been told and then bring the complaint to the source.

I just don't want offer third party excuses and act like a complaint liaison for another company when my time is better spent managing my own operation. Unless Yelp would like to offer me a free business account for acting like their complaint department...

Just saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread