Yiloong is getting into the plastic/3D printed mech squonk game

Status
Not open for further replies.

martynasm

Nov 8, 2014
I actually made my own 3d printed squonker which meant doing 2 prototypes to iron out the design flaws (lots of them!) And then the 3rd final version using SLS, i dare say turned out really nice (on the right).
c34699f2dddc94602fcd7eafd6cb8e9a.jpg

Looking at yillong - imho it is not printed, more like molded, plastic looks toy like cheap, add unclear situation with 510, bottle, contacts, and it most likely is 30 something usd down the drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I actually made my own 3d printed squonker which meant doing 2 prototypes to iron out the design flaws (lots of them!) And then the 3rd final version using SLS, i dare say turned out really nice (on the right).
c34699f2dddc94602fcd7eafd6cb8e9a.jpg

Looking at yillong - imho it is not printed, more like molded, plastic looks toy like cheap, add unclear situation with 510, bottle, contacts, and it most likely is 30 something usd down the drain

Very nice! :thumb: What plastic are you using on the final one?

Reactions: b.m.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Looking at yillong - imho it is not printed, more like molded plastic
I agree,they don't look printed to me either,in the picture of the green one,you can see a seem in the green part like they molded the 2 halves and then put them together.I still want one though,just for the fact that i like that green and grey combo,so i'll take a chance haha.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I agree,they don't look printed to me either,in the picture of the green one,you can see a seem in the green part like they molded the 2 halves and then put them together.I still want one though,just for the fact that i like that green and grey combo,so i'll take a chance haha.

The Gorilla sample appears 3D printed.

18-hyUAfVDLKSsI-1-1.jpg

It's also the one which appears to have the most solid construction. I have my doubts about the other style of construction, especially if it is nylon as specified on the Liloong site.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio

18-hyUAfVDLKSsI-1-1.jpg

It's also the one which appears to have the most solid construction. I have my doubts about the other style of construction, especially if it is nylon as specified on the Liloong site.
I hadn't even looked at that one,it definitely looks sturdier than the others,i'm not a fan of that gold looking color though.On the others,i didn't look at the specs,so didn't realize they are saying nylon,but in 3 years,i've only dropped a mod twice,so i'll probably still take a chance for $36.It will be a while though because i don't want to order anything else from 3F until the Icarus clone i pre ordered actually ships and i have that in hand,i hate having more than 1 order out at a time from the same supplier.Plus,maybe by then there will be some reviews on these.

Reactions: TheWestPole

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas

Overkill to use a tank on a squonker though.

T

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
On the others,i didn't look at the specs,so didn't realize they are saying nylon,but in 3 years,i've only dropped a mod twice,so i'll probably still take a chance for $36.I

If it's nylon it should be tough enough in a drop, but prone to warping after manufacturing which could mess up the fits. Nylon is not as dimensionally stable as delrin, for example. I thought that might be what I was seeing in these photos.

China SQ XBOX MOD 01  Jiangmen Yiloong Industrial Co.  Ltd. (1).png
China SQ XBOX MOD 01  Jiangmen Yiloong Industrial Co.  Ltd..png

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
After looking at the others again,i don't think what i thought was a seam really is,i think it is 2 halves.It's hard to tell where those mods come apart,so i'm guessing maybe they are split there,so 1 half comes off as the door.

Agreed.

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
If it's nylon it should tough enough in a drop, but prone to warping after manufacturing which could mess up the fits. Nylon is not as dimensionally stable as delrin, for example, and is prone to warpage. I thought that might be what I was seeing in these photos.

View attachment 662825 View attachment 662827
I hadn't seen any close up pictures like that,yeah that doesn't look very good if they already have a warp like that,i may have to reconsider,or hopefully by the time i would be ready to buy,maybe they will start making them with a better material.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I hadn't seen any close up pictures like that,yeah that doesn't look very good if they already have a warp like that,i may have to reconsider,or hopefully by the time i would be ready to buy,maybe they will start making them with a better material.

Yeah, it's wait and see with the production units. Limited choices of material with 3D printing. You gotta design to the material limitations. There could be some design changes for production on that model.

The Gorilla model, like @martynasm's design, is a proven structure though.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Those look pretty nice,i wonder what the final retail price will be though.

China is still a bit nutty on stabilized wood pricing.
Wooden knife handles are stabilized to prevent warping, cracking, and shrinking.
It's a common process, and hopefully China will sink back to earth and offer stab wood gear on par with the real world.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
China is still a bit nutty on stabilized wood pricing.
Wooden knife handles are stabilized to prevent warping, cracking, and shrinking.
It's a common process, and hopefully China will sink back to earth and offer stab wood gear on par with the real world.
Their's may not be too far off the mark,it shows the wholesale price for a minimum of 5 at $70-$80 each,so even if the retail comes in around $100,that's still way cheaper than some of these modders are charging,i've seen some simple box's go for north of $500,which is crazy haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread