Youde AGI advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, having an awesome cake day and got a bunch of great vape mail from my brothers!

Among the goodies is the Youde AGI hybrid I asked for: my first rda (and my first RBT, but one learning curve at a time). I've rebuilt my Protank coils without a hitch for about a month now, but I think something is eluding me on this one. I'm using it on my new sigelei Zmax V5 (first mod, and loving it with my Protank).

• First build attempt: Failed miserably (the coil was a hot mess by the time I got the darn thing into the posts. Too excited maybe?).

• Second build attempt: I knocked my wattage down to 7, and built the coil like I've been rebuilding my protank coils (2.5 ohms, stock-style small-diameter 6/5 wrap of 30 gauge kanthal with organic cotton wick (but, a much longer one, of course)) and used some 50/50 juice I liked. And it tasted better than my protank did--for a couple puffs. Then it tasted like I was overcooking the juice (not quite burning, more chemical)

• Third build attempt: I upped the diameter of the coil about 50%, did a wrap less, down to 2.3 ohms, threaded and then wrapped the wick loosely around the coil. The success I'm seeing still seems short lived (~5 puffs). I re-up the juice, and it's good again for a bit, then it gets off-tasting . It also seems to take a bit longer for the coil to heat up and cool down (cool down, especially)

I've been told of the marvels of the RDA, but I'm not seeing the appeal yet. Maybe my Protank use spoiled me, but do I really have to drip every 5 puffs or so? Do I really have to wait until I taste something strange as my cue to drip? Why do I feel like putting in more wick isn't helping me and is a waste of good juice? Is 30 gauge too high? Too many ohms?

Tell me about your successful builds with this type of equipment, or what I'm doing wrong, or whether I'm lacking the proper equipment. In the meantime, I'll be happily puffing with my other new gear :vapor: :D .

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
I was putting a ton of cotton in my RDA because just about every YouTube video I watched, that's how they did it. I've found, dual vertical coils, .8 to 1 ohm with just enough cotton wick to lay in the wells and clip the top so only a tiny bit of cotton barely above the coils give me the best, most consistant flavor. You will need to keep an eye on it. Pop the cap every few puffs so you don't dry out. This method works for me. Your mileage will vary. I've got an inexpensive igo RDA with small juice wells. I'm still learning but I've had the best experience with this weird build.

I've found, dual vertical coils, .8 to 1 ohm with just enough cotton wick to lay in the wells and clip the top so only a tiny bit of cotton barely above the coils give me the best, most consistant flavor.

Can you share any more details about your build, like wire gauge and coil diameter? This RBA isn't exactly set up for dual coils, but I can think of a way to make it work.

Update:

Tried a vertical dual coil low resistance build (1.4 ohm). It's working better, running it at about 13W. It still feels like the coils take forever to heat up and get vaping. Any thoughts?

supyqany.jpg

Last edited:
I think I found a sweet spot. 2.0 ohms of 30g kanthal at 12.5 W on my Sigelei Zmax V5, using what you might call a nano coil (maybe 9 wraps around a small, straightened paperclip) with a thick chunk of cotton wicked between the wires to the posts and the coil.

syvu9aqu.jpg

And... just... wow. I'm getting crazy clouds and flavor.

zuzyryhy.jpg

And that's the thing... I don't remember seeing this in a video or intending it to come out this way, but here it is and it is an unbelievable vape.

Note to other newbies: buy a bag of cotton balls, a roll of kanthal, and get ready for a learning curve and experimenting. Yes, it's worth it, but yes, you need to figure out how you want to use your deck to build and how to make it happen. Or just play around with it and strike gold if you can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread