You've never owned a cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
I have a prepaid for emergencies. It comes out to about $7 per month to keep active, and as long as I renew every 3 months, my balance stays on there. I currently have almost $500 of minutes I could use at $0.25 per minute, lol. I called AT&T in about June to ask about my balance building up so much (since they will only allow you to carry $500 on there) and they extended my expiration until December (until I have to renew), so that helped quite a bit.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Yes. Of course I read post #1. But regardless of how I try to understand how my comment (attempt at humor) would have you think otherwise, I am at a loss to understand your confusion.
Of course I recognized it as an attempt at humor. I simply didn't appreciate the implication that anyone who isn't a cellaholic is a technophobe, which I most definitely am NOT. And, I thought post #1 made that clear ... perhaps not.

Sponge Bobiwan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I simply didn't appreciate the implication that anyone who isn't a cellaholic is a technophobe, which I most definitely am NOT.
LOL! You read WAY too much into my post. No such thing was stated, implied, or intended. Sorry, but I failed the portion of my "Sensitivity Training" that deals with "How to avoid offending everybody's feelings in every given situation even when you are unable to read their mind and know what's going through it." Not to worry though, I also failed my "Political Correctness" class. So at least I've been consistent. My next class will be a "How to not get your panties in a bunch" course, along with a "Lighten Up" course. Care to join me? :p

Note: I did pass with flying colors, the "Smartass Exceptionalism" course.

Last edited:

WarsawNan

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Indiana-USA
www.maggiemadeit.com
Hate cell phones, don't own one, AND I hate call-waiting on land lines. Irritates me to no end when I'm talking to someone and they tell me "hold on... another call's coming in." WTF?? Let it go to voice mail and finish your conversation with me! Ahhh for the good ole' days of the busy signal!

My daughter has been a telephone addict since she was a little girl. She is now a cell-phone-texting addict. Her ONLY phone is her cell, AND she doesn't even have voice option on it, ONLY texting!! In order for me to "talk" to her, I have to text her cell phone through my computer email, but only 100 characters per text or it cuts off on her end. Makes having a normal "conversation" virtually impossible. Ridiculous! I don't get it! Maybe I'm just to friggin' old.
:?:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I think I could get into something similar to the smartphone running Android. A lot of these devices are useful hand held computers, very versatile with apps making imagination about the only limit, and internet connectivity (WiFi, yippie). I could easily be tempted. But, are they functional online without subscribing to a mobile service? If not, then that's a deal breaker. I've got WiFi in my house and in my car (not to mention just about every restaurant, hotel and laundrymat, LOL).

Last edited:

DarkKarma

Sep 20, 2010
Michigan
I think I could get into something similar to the smartphone running Android. A lot of these devices are useful hand held computers, very versatile with apps making imagination about the only limit, and internet connectivity (WiFi, yippie). I could easily be tempted. But, are they functional online without subscribing to a mobile service? If not, then that's a deal breaker. I've got WiFi in my house and in my car (not to mention just about every restaurant, hotel and laundrymat, LOL).

Sounds like the iTouch my sister got me, does basically everything the iPhone can, except make calls. I do like my cell phone, but honestly the things I use the most on it are the alarm clock and calculator rather than call/text. I also always keep it on vibrate so I don't annoy everyone around me, and I don't talk on it when I'm interacting with anyone else. Face to face>Faceless phone convo.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
LMAO, I remember the old "car phones/bag phones" and how it was a total status symbol to have one.

I've always had a cell phone, and never a landline. At my age, when I went out on my own at 18 it just made more economic sense to get a cell over a land. I'm thinking of adding a Magic Jack to have a blow away # to give people, but I haven't bought one yet.

Of course, I am the same weird-o who has never ever purchased cable TV either......

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
LMAO, I remember the old "car phones/bag phones" and how it was a total status symbol to have one.

I've always had a cell phone, and never a landline. At my age, when I went out on my own at 18 it just made more economic sense to get a cell over a land. I'm thinking of adding a Magic Jack to have a blow away # to give people, but I haven't bought one yet.

Of course, I am the same weird-o who has never ever purchased cable TV either......

Are you married?

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
i never thought i'd be one who had to have the latest tech but when our cell plan was eligible for an upgrade we went for the android phones. i don't know what i'd do without it.

I was the same way.. I never thought they'd get me to have a cellular telephone, much less use text messages!! Back in the day when I had a pile of money and cellular phones were exceedingly costly, I think my woman at the time cried for one.. and I could have easily afforded it, but I never ever wanted one. Just didn't, period.

THEN my sister she talked me into getting one back in, what, '05
THEN back in what, '08? My woman at the time she talks me into texting one time when I was very sick.. too sick to talk to her when she was at work, so, I started ABCing some texts (what else was I going to do, I couldn't breathe or move!!) and that was the beginning of the end :(

The upshot of this is, now, I've found text messaging to be a wonderful way to not have to talk to some idiot on the phone. Saves me piles of time and frustration. You can even send text to landline, so, for example if you're on your way home and want some ..... to preheat the oven and prepare dinner - you just text it to the landline phone .... or say you're almost back and don't want to bother with door locks and whatever else, text it to them unlock everything and make some coffee

So text messaging has turned out to be a good thing!!

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Well I have this saying that if I ever meet an American woman without a television set, I'll marry her.. That's all
So when you said that, I was thinking, hmmm.. :)

That is so sweet! Thank you for your consideration. I do have a TV on which I faithfully watch Gossip Girl every Monday, because I got sucked into it by seeing some clips on You Tube. When that show is done I don't anticipate having a reason to turn it on for the foreseeable future.

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
That is so sweet! Thank you for your consideration. I do have a TV on which I faithfully watch Gossip Girl every Monday, because I got sucked into it by seeing some clips on You Tube. When that show is done I don't anticipate having a reason to turn it on for the foreseeable future.

You are most welcome, and I love your avatar :)

PS: I am not sure what gossip girl is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread