ZAP help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nktrnl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Honolulu
I picked up a used zap from the classies last week. I finally got around to setting it up last night. I'm just not sure what's going on?
Problems I have:
Weak vape, allot of dry hits.
When I tip it to get the wick wet, juice just pours out of the wick hole. (Using factory wicks)
A few times I've tipped it and the top just falls off. If l look at it wrong the top will fall off?
I think the coils are set up good? I watched and read and re read the instructions. I'm reading 1.9ohms on the vari.

I was really excited to get this and so far am just disappointed. It might go back up for sale shortly. My vivi novas seem 20x better then this right now.

Can anyone help?

Ictinike

A Minion of Cthulhu
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
NE Ohio, USA
Missing an O-Ring? The weak vapor and the top coming off seems the o-ring(s) are missing or not working well.

I don't have a ZAP but several clone RBA's and I was cleaning my AGA-T and while I had the top threaded on I forgot to replace the o-ring and it was a weak vapor and very, very airy since it was pulling air through the threads and gap in the cap.

Hope you figure it out or someone gives some better advice than I! :)

Cheers,
~Icky

peteyboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Chicago
Sorry about your issues, is your wick to small? Does it slide up and down through the hole easily? ( that didnt sound right at all lol) thats the only thing I can think of, ive been using my zap for a couple months now, ive never had this issue..... maybe try changing the wick? If theres a big hole in the center of the wick, the juice will come out to fast..... just a thought, good luck!!!

Nktrnl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Honolulu
When they come from the manufacturer, there is an insulator in the wick hole that the wick slides into. Is yours missing? If so, there will be a space between the factory wick and the hole, and juice would leak out when tilted.

Yup, no insulator. I took the wick out and opened it up a bit to fit the hole better. Made a new coil, it seems better. Still doesn't vape like I expected. I'm still reaching for my nova 95% of the time. And the top still falls off way to easy. I ended up using a piece of tape to keep it on.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
The wicks that are included with the Z-Atty lines are kind of behind the times. Now a days people generally agree that a completely solid wick with little to no center channel is the way to go. Try rolling a mesh wick as tight as you can. And by this I mean both making the wick itself as tightly rolled as you can, and also make it fit as tightly as you can in the actual wick hole without making it hard to slide in or out.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
yes i believe the 500 mesh will be better, in my did and aga-t i start out with a piece between 4 and 4-1/2 inches, solid no hole. now in the zap i have heard that the air hole in the side of the top cap are exceptionally large. if thats what your used to then nevermind. but if you are not used to the big hole maybe its your vaping technics. with a larger hole you need to vape super slow and long to get a vape. maybe try to put a piece of tape across part of the airhole to partially cover the hole. with the tape holding on the top cap maybe you wont notice it. well call it a tape mod.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
i'd have to dissagree with the idea you want no hole in the middle.

a weak vape and dry hits can be indicative of several things. First thought is you have your coil too tight. also check to make sure the connections are tight and the wick is not touching the bottom.

here is a good place to find allot of info:

and a place were you can ask more questions:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hread-please-post-questions-answers-here.html

and a solution to your loose top cap, if drying off your o rings does not work:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronicstix/351492-zen-top-caps-come-off-easy.html

Last edited:

Nktrnl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2012
Honolulu
you may also have a short on your bottom coil

Sorry noob question, but how would I know if the bottom coil is shorted?

Also thanks everyone. I've watched the videos and will head to the hardware store to pick up more o-rings and a crack torch. I'll also try the other tape mod along with my current tape mod.
When I opened my current wick, it really opened the center. So much so when I went to put juice in, it flowed out of the wick. So I just pinched the top. Also it is not touching the bottom of the tank or the post. I'll try to get a pic or two up later.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
The wicks that are included with the Z-Atty lines are kind of behind the times. Now a days people generally agree that a completely solid wick with little to no center channel is the way to go. Try rolling a mesh wick as tight as you can. And by this I mean both making the wick itself as tightly rolled as you can, and also make it fit as tightly as you can in the actual wick hole without making it hard to slide in or out.

I'd normally agree. Ever since I began, I've been a firm believer in rolling wicks as tight as possible; up until receiving a new ZAP last week. It came with a wick and coil assembled, as well as a few extra 325 and 400 wicks, and a small spool of wire. My first impression was: "Wow! That wick is tiny." But I figured I might as well try it, before taking it apart and making my own set up. The factory 32awg coil checked out at 2.0 ohms. I was frankly surprised at how well it wicks and vapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread