Zero Nic 100% VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello all,
I'm a zero nic user. And I really don't care at all about throat hit.

I'm thinking of delving into DIY juice since it seems that most vendors sell zero nic juice for the same price as nic juice (except for TV and their doublers). That's IF they sell zero at all.

I happen to have a couple of quarts of pure VG.

I just heard today that VG creates problems with attys. Poor wicking and gums up the atty.
I don't have enough experience to know the difference.

Can't VG be diluted a little with water to allow for better wicking? (of course I know there might be some sacrifice of vapor)

OK, I'd appreciate it if ya'll would chime in on 100% VG vs PG/VG combos. (oh, and I don't seem to have any allergy to PG.... but I have all of this VG at my disposal.)

Thanks
Hy

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I make only VG juices myself, with 10-20% distilled water to thin them. Flavors themselves, however, are generally PG solutions, so my juices do have about 8% PG, maybe less, but generally not zero PG.

Some people thin their VG DIYs with alcohol, like vodka or PGA, but I prefer water. I will say, however, that I recently tried juice from vaporgalaxy.com...my first non-DIY juice in a year. They sell only VG juices, and they are not thinned with water or alcohol. They are thick, but really great for dripping in my 5V 510 PT. I've been using one atty for about 3 weeks with this thick juice (love the tiramisu), and I will likely have to clean the atty soon, but it is still pretty good, and doesn't appear to be getting damaged.

So for normal vaping using carts or cartos, 10-20% distilled water brings it to PG viscosity, depending on how much the flavoring thins it. But I intend to make my own un-thinned VG juices for HV dripping only. They last longer on the atty, and are really excellent, IMHO.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So In your experience, VG doesn't gum up the atty any faster than PG / VG combos? Since I'm looking for zero nic... I've thought about purchasing some of TastyVapors doublers. Way less expensive than nic juice. Any thoughts about that? Do you know anyone else that sells doublers for less than regular juice?

I haven't experimented with much. I have found some nic flavors that I like but can't seem to duplicate them in zero nic. I seem to gravitate more toward tobacco flavors like cherry tobacco, vanilla etc. But the tobacco flavoring seems to add something. So far there are only a few flavors that really do it for me. SmokeStik natural tobacco cartos (4081) and VaporTalk Midnight in a 510.

We have a home for women in recovery and most of the ladies who are vaping, seem to like lower nic. And since I'm trying all of these myself, I buy zero nic and let them taste it. That way they can get the flavor without getting a head rush if they are low nic vapers.

I guess I need to bite the bullet and jump in with both feet. I'm one of those guys that has to get too much information before I commit. :)

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't know anything about doublers, since I pretty much make my own from VG, water, high-nic VG, and flavors (Capellas, Perfumers Apprentice, Lorann). I think if it is low voltage, like a regular 510 batt, then thinning is essential...my experience with thick VG juices and lower volts was a gummed up atty. Seems to take to higher voltage pretty well, even in a carto. By higher, I mean 3.7V or above. I tend to use a box mod (3.7V) with a 14500 batt or a 5V PT.

I say just start playing around and making some juices. What one person really likes is not necessarily what another likes, so if this is for several women, they may all have their own sweet spot for the viscosity. About 10% water along with 10% flavor is a little thicker than a PG juice, but not by much. There really is no set formula...I make all mine in 3 mL batches to try out, then change the recipe as needed to scale up.

Another clogger, however, is the tobacco flavors themselves. They tend to have significant particulate content, and I've killed several attys with tobacco juices. I tend to only vape my tobaccos in cartos now, since they are cheaper and can be tossed with less loss. Since you have VG on hand, you might try my Tobacco Essence flavoring I describe the Tobacco Extraction subforum:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/99774-vg-pipe-tobacco-essense.html

Delicious!! But can be hard on attys, regardless of thickness. In general, I have found it is more the particulate content than the thickness of the juice that permanently warps up attys. But then I only have three non-tobacco thick VG juices. Not much of a statistical sample to generalize from. I did once have some of Vermont Vapor's wonderful maple-tobacco juice. Just excellent in flavor, but I warped some attys with it. What happens is the draw starts to become sluggish, so you pull harder and longer, heating it for longer times to pretty high temps. Over time it seems the coil housing will actually warp, partially covering the airholes, and cleaning will not open them up. It was not a particularly thick juice, but very dark and probably had particulates that started the whole cycle. If I get this juice again I will only use it in cartos.

Attys should be cleaned every one or two weeks of constant use anyway, so even if your VG juices are thick, as long as they are not high in particulates (IMHO it isn't the dark color necessarily), they should clean up fine. Tobaccos are notorious for being tough on attys in VG juices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread