Zeus X rat noob help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srobo17

Aug 30, 2019
Hi guys newbie here after some help!

I’ve been vaping for 3 years now but until now always used prebuilt throwaway coils, recently the uwell crown 3

Been persuaded to try rta so purchased the Zeus x rta sitting in my old beaten smok g priv and I just can’t seem to get it working properly!

I’m using firebolt cotton and steam shark fused Clapton 32ga coils running at 0.33 ohms at 80watts

I’ve watched endless videos on YouTube but every time I build it, the thing spits in my mouth, tastes of absolutely nothing and I absolutely hate it but I’m determined to get it working! Any help at all you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Do I need better coils/cotton or a new mod? Or am I just pish at building?

Thanks guys

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Is that 0.33Ω x2, together 0.16Ω? Otherwise your wattage is too high.
Spitback and popping happen when you've got too much juice in your coil because it's not wicked densely enough. You need to to keep practicing. And be sure your wicking descends all the way down the juice channels to form a good plug, or else you'll get spitback because of flooding.

Assuming those are 3.0mm diameter coils, you'll want to use enough cotton that it stays put but can also be tugged back and forth without deforming the coils. Then comb out the ends a bit so they fit down the juice channels while remaining pliant when poked.

Srobo17

Aug 30, 2019
Thanks for your reply

I assume it’s the total ohms I’m getting that from the readout on my smok, what wattage should it be at? I based it off the uwell crown I used to use and just guessed it would be the same!

I’ve no idea what mm the coils are but the cotton fits very tightly and it moves the coils when I tug at the cotton, maybe I need to get bigger coils??

I’ll try what you said about making sure the cotton is plugged all the way down, I did thin it out last time but maybe I did too much?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Start with something simple by rolling some of your own single wire coils.

6 or 7 wrap at 2.5 mm with SS 316L 26 AWG will get you about 0.4 or 0.45 ohm single coil. 2 of these coils will get you around 0.2 ohm and produce a lot of vapor at much lower than 80 watts...around 32 to 40 watts.

You can also get a single coil in the Zeus X if you wrap a 4.5 mm inner core and install it diagonally across the deck.

Wick still needs to be tight in coil and the juice hole needs to be full of the cotton.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks for your reply

I assume it’s the total ohms I’m getting that from the readout on my smok, what wattage should it be at? I based it off the uwell crown I used to use and just guessed it would be the same!
Your readout should be accurate unless there’s a problem with the voltage checking system in the mod. It’s a SMOK though so that could happen
I’ve no idea what mm the coils are but the cotton fits very tightly and it moves the coils when I tug at the cotton, maybe I need to get bigger coils??
or use a bit less cotton.
I’ll try what you said about making sure the cotton is plugged all the way down, I did thin it out last time but maybe I did too much?

Wicking RTAs can be touchy. Depending on the atty there can be less than a millimeter of slop between a wick being too long and too short. It varies by atty model.

Have you watched any wicking videos for your particular atty? They help a lot.

As to wattage, may I suggest starting at a very low wattage and bumping it up by 5 watts or so at a time till you get a vape you like out of it, then refine it by 1s and 2s

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for your reply

Yeah if you're reading 0.33Ω from the Smok that means your coils are 0.66Ω each. Does that number match the rating on the package? If not you need to do a burn in and work out the hot spots. This video demonstrates in detail, particularly starting from the 5 minute mark:

For comparison, I run about the biggest coils that the Zeus X can handle: 2x0.25Ω = 0.13Ω, at 100W, so you'd probably want to start somewhere below 50W. Otherwise you'll be scorching your cotton and having to change it daily.

It helps if you have an idea how the RTA functions. Here's a rough diagram of the internals. It's intended to show that gravity will pull too much juice into the coil unless the wick forms a proper seal:
As long as the cotton goes down the juice flow holes to the bottom and is dense enough that you can't poke right through it with your ceramic tweezers, that should do, since it expands a bit when moistened.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome. I am going to suggest trying rayon as a wicking material. I had a ton more success with it than cotton frankly although I think the advice you are getting to simplify is TOTALLY spot on. This is probably not the easiest vape to start building on.

Good luck and welcome :)

Anna

UncleEddy

Aug 2, 2019
I have the exact same issue.. I’ve tried so many different wicking styles, and today I’ve received handmade alien clapton coils. I’ve moved them higher and further to the airflow then my previous coils, zero improvement at all...

Supplies:

Probear Alien clapton 3mm n80 0.15 in dual mode

Firebolt Cotton from Vapefly

Currently vaping around 50W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread