Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Dougie, you need not my approval in the slightest, but thanks. Your side panel slotting had me thinking, and the three internal compartments, and bam! It's a pico PC case! Even with the window and power button. If raspberry pi ever really takes off, you can switch it out for a steampunk mini portable gaming rig:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

kaddigart

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2013
Insomniville
I began buying materials such as copper and brass sheet, brass escutcheon pins (for the "rivets"). After measuring and remeasuring and cutting and grinding and soldering and tinkering and liberal amounts of cuss words, I present my finest accomplishment in my homemade arsenal. I hope your appreciation equals my pride in the results...

Hell, I'm proud for you and we don't even know each other (although it does appear that we both dwell in the SEC). You made the box from sheets, yes? I considered this at one point but was a little daunted by the precision needed to achieve square bends. What tools did you use? I'm guessing a sheet metal bender/vice combo. I ask because I'm very limited on workspace (and tools for that matter) and was curious if what you used would be an affordable option for myself.

Again, that looks awesome and thanks for sharing with us.

Pierces32

Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Columbia, SC, USA
Dougie, I definitely like your style, have always been a fan of steampunk, heck I even can remember when I liked punk music and it was all the rage. All of the modder forums inspired me to make my firstmod...though it's not entirely made from scratch. It does have a little steampunk look to it, but nothing compared with your masterpiece.
1103132311b.jpg :blush: 1103132311a.jpg

Last edited:

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Just wow man, I dropped a like on it last night and havnt stopped thinking about my next bf project since. Truly an inspirational work of art, fueled by blood sweat and tears as it could only be. My Sick mod bottom feeders have been wood based so far, but my brass cogs are spinning overtime with metal based ideas thanks to your post.
I know we ain't in it for the likes and gushing approvals, but when you post a thread of a piece that took many hours to complete and you get hundreds of view and no feed back.... anyway my hats off to you mate stellar workmanship gush gush :)

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Dougie that looks fantastic. Just found out about Vintage Vapors after searching for more stores than Knoxville Vapor. It looks like a great place. How is everything priced there?
Glenn's prices at Vintage are VERY cost effective and reasonably competitive with Knox's. Glenn (the franchise proprietor) is the original organizer of Smoky Mountain Vapers. I met him a few years ago at the very first meet, and we've been friends since. He and his establishment are truly assets to the local vape demographic.

Hi Dougie, can I ask what thickness in mm the copper and brass sheet you used was? I can get up to 1.2mm relatively easily, but if that is overkill it would be great to know.
I replied to your PM. 1.2mm may be overkill, but if you can work it, I say go for it. I apologize for referencing a national hardware chain that you may not have available in "The Down Under". Does Ace Hardware exist in AU?

Thank you for the kind words, friend! :toast:

Last edited:

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
I replied to your PM. 1.2mm may be overkill, but if you can work it, I say go for it. I apologize for referencing a national hardware chain that you may not have available in "The Down Under". Does Ace Hardware exist in AU?

Thank you for the kind words, friend! :toast:

Thanks for the PM Dougie, I was impatient to get something ordered, so I visited my local toy store that has a 'Hobby" dept ( maybe that's overstating it), any way they did have some copper sheet and some brass sheet, and I had a play flexing and weighing the different gauges they had, the copper was pretty flimsy at around 0.5mm and the brass was pretty good at around 0.8mm, the 1.59mm brass was seriously heavy and I'd imagine a pig to work with, so due to their smallish sizes and highish prices I decided to buy online from A&E Metals here in Australia (no Ace Hardware here I'm afraid) I went for Copper Sheet 1x 1.0mm (110) 15cm x 30cm & 1x Brass Sheet 1.0mm (260) 15cm x 30cm, I imagine they will be hard to work, but if I can't bend I will cut and solder.
The end result should be solid as a rock and worth the effort.
These parts are just the tip of the iceberg with silver solder, flux and many other unicorn type items I am trying to source to make something truly original and totally sexy in the steampunk vein, I plan to use the one remaining DNA20 chip I have due to it's unique properties that will suit my design.
I really am quite excited, and will be sure to share pics and details when it is finished, that may be some however time as hunting down the aforementioned unicorn parts will no doubt slow me down if I don't want to spend a fortune before I start.
Thanks again for the inspiration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread