Status
Not open for further replies.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Wasn't sure if I should post this in the "Carto Issues" or the "Tank Issues" section.

I have 100% VG juice from Velvet Cloud Vapor, which they add distilled water to. I recently got a carto-tank from IBTanked, with Smoktech pre-punched 2 hole cartos. Tank mounts on a ProVari Mini.
When I first got the tank, I added some VCV juice that I had further diluted with RO water. It was a pain to prime the carto and get good draws. Took the pre-punched cartos to my drill press, drill out the wholes to 1/16". The carto in the tank wicked like a champ, almost too well.
Next tank fill, I used the VCV juice right from the bottle. I don't think it's working so well. Doesn't seem to be properly wicking to me.

If I take off the drip tip and look down on the carto, should it always be wet?
Should I drill the holes even bigger? Add a third hole?

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
First off, welcome to carto land! ive been here for a few weeks, and am enjoying my stay! The top of the carto will dry out some what, but lots if variables there. Are you getting dry hits? I have no experience with all vg, but have read others recommend the slotted cartos. Also the boge cartos have much larger holes than the smoktech's. I would highly recommend looking through Baditude's blogs. Just about everything you could ever hope to know about successfully using cartos! (Amongst other things).

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I like the Smok single coil cartos, unpunched and without the flange. These work very well with my thick DIY 95% VG juice. I use carto tanks by IBTanked.

No need to guess about how many holes or slots are needed if you punch the cartos yourself. You just experiment until you find out what works. You're not left with a bunch of useless cartos that won't work for you. Non-punched cartos save money, too. Don't buy a cheap carto punch. I recommend the Siam Mods V2 carto punch sold online by Phiniac. I use four small holes going around the lower end of the carto. Three larger holes work just as well. No, my cartos are well saturated but the top of the filler material doesn't looked soaked. If I were to drip in an additional four drops of liquid the top would look soaked but that isn't necessary.

Which cartos work best with juices of different viscosity? There are differences in the build of Smok and Boge cartos. The wicks that cover the coils are different and so is the filler density and material. I find that Smok cartos works best with thick VG juices and Boge doesn't flood as easily with thin PG juices. The Smok cartos have a higher juice capacity per size than Boge.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg
(click to enlarge image)

Concerning the top of the carto looking dry: This is normal. A correctly primed carto's filler will "look" dry after puffing on it. The above diagram explains why.

As you puff away on your pre-punched carto, the suction pulls juice not only from the tank but pulls it from the top of the filler also (red arrows). The key is whether the filler surrounding the heating coil stays wet to prevent burning. Since the holes in the carto are near the heating coil, it should keep the lower filler wet.

Now dual coil cartos are a different story. With the top coil being higher in the carto, the top coil may burn the filler if the carto isn't wicking enough juice fast enough. Adding another hole higher on the carto isn't recommended because when the juice level in the tank falls below the top hole, air will be sucked into the cartomizer instead of juice. I only use single coil cartos.

I only use two laser drilled holes in my cartos (Ikenvape 510-Fusion, Ikenvape Platinum, Smoktech), but the majority of my e-liquids are a 50/50 ratio. Does not your e-liquid supplier allow the option for different Pg/Vg ratio's?

I prefer using pre-punched cartos. Tool-punched invariably deform the carto from round to oval-shaped. This can make their passage through the tank's end caps difficult, and cause unneccesary wear and tear on the important o-rings in the end caps. I also recommend a tank tool to further prevent wear on the o-rings.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartos

Last edited:

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
First off, welcome to carto land! ive been here for a few weeks, and am enjoying my stay! The top of the carto will dry out some what, but lots if variables there. Are you getting dry hits? I have no experience with all vg, but have read others recommend the slotted cartos. Also the boge cartos have much larger holes than the smoktech's. I would highly recommend looking through Baditude's blogs. Just about everything you could ever hope to know about successfully using cartos! (Amongst other things).

Thanks! For some unknown reason, I completely forgot about the Batitude Blogs!! Just read over them again.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
I like the Smok single coil cartos, unpunched and without the flange. These work very well with my thick DIY 95% VG juice. I use carto tanks by IBTanked.

No need to guess about how many holes or slots are needed if you punch the cartos yourself. You just experiment until you find out what works. You're not left with a bunch of useless cartos that won't work for you. Non-punched cartos save money, too. Don't buy a cheap carto punch. I recommend the Siam Mods V2 carto punch sold online by Phiniac. I use four small holes going around the lower end of the carto. Three larger holes work just as well. No, my cartos are well saturated but the top of the filler material doesn't looked soaked. If I were to drip in an additional four drops of liquid the top would look soaked but that isn't necessary.

Which cartos work best with juices of different viscosity? There are differences in the build of Smok and Boge cartos. The wicks that cover the coils are different and so is the filler density and material. I find that Smok cartos works best with thick VG juices and Boge doesn't flood as easily with thin PG juices. The Smok cartos have a higher juice capacity per size than Boge.

So without a flange, do you just get a feel for how far to slide the carto into the tank?
I chose not to go with punching my own after reading about deforming the carto...not a problem for you?
The cartos I'm using are Smok, ordered from IBTanked.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    To see where you stand with the holes, I'd vape the next tank dry and continue vaping until the carto is dry on top.

Only then would I refill ( don't add to carto) and see if it stays dry on top throughout a full tank.

Carto tanks give great hits because they're not oversaturated with liquid. I'd rather get a dry hit occasionally rather then have it too wet.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    View attachment 278868
    (click to enlarge image)

Concerning the top of the carto looking dry: This is normal. A correctly primed carto's filler will "look" dry after puffing on it. The above diagram explains why.

As you puff away on your pre-punched carto, the suction pulls juice not only from the tank but pulls it from the top of the filler also (red arrows). The key is whether the filler surrounding the heating coil stays wet to prevent burning. Since the holes in the carto are near the heating coil, it should keep the lower filler wet.

Now dual coil cartos are a different story. With the top coil being higher in the carto, the top coil may burn the filler if the carto isn't wicking enough juice fast enough. Adding another hole higher on the carto isn't recommended because when the juice level in the tank falls below the top hole, air will be sucked into the cartomizer instead of juice. I only use single coil cartos.

I only use two laser drilled holes in my cartos (Ikenvape 510-Fusion, Ikenvape Platinum, Smoktech), but the majority of my e-liquids are a 50/50 ratio. Does not your e-liquid supplier allow the option for different Pg/Vg ratio's?

I prefer using pre-punched cartos. Tool-punched invariably deform the carto from round to oval-shaped. This can make their passage through the tank's end caps difficult, and cause unneccesary wear and tear on the important o-rings in the end caps. I also recommend a tank tool to further prevent wear on the o-rings.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Vendor List for Pre-Punched Cartos

Well that makes sense then! I am only using single coil cartos.
    The vendor only sells 100% VG, but they do add some distilled water. I don't care for the taste of any PG mix that I've tried so far.
    Thanks for the links, I may try some of the 3-hole cartos next.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    To see where you stand with the holes, I'd vape the next tank dry and continue vaping until the carto is dry on top.

Only then would I refill ( don't add to carto) and see if it stays dry on top throughout a full tank.

Carto tanks give great hits because they're not oversaturated with liquid. I'd rather get a dry hit occasionally rather then have it too wet.

What exactly are the signs of a "dry" hit anyway? I have an idea, just want to be sure! Is it just that harsh "burning" hit on the throat?

yzer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2011
    Northern California
    So without a flange, do you just get a feel for how far to slide the carto into the tank?
    I chose not to go with punching my own after reading about deforming the carto...not a problem for you?
    The cartos I'm using are Smok, ordered from IBTanked.
    The flange is not necessary for use on IBTanked. There is a flat shoulder on the base of the carto where the flange would be. Just line it up flat with the bottom of the IBTanked end cap. The Siam Mods V2 will deform the carto a little and a lot less than with other tools. You should always lubricate the carto with a little juice before sliding it into the tank. I have used cartos punched with Siam Mods V2 for months and have yet to wear out a single IBTanked O-ring. They just slide over the punched carto with no issues.

Pictures say 1,000 words. Here is a quick video on using the Siam Mods V2.

V2 Cartomizer Punch - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2013
    South Florida

Yes, I can confirm the part in bold. I have one juice that is very thin. It floods smok cartos very easily, but works okay with boges. I actually have some unpunched cartos coming to me to try to punch only 1 hole to see if that helps with that juice(I like that one flavor, or I would not bother).

My DIY flavors, I have found that a 50\50 mix with 4% distilled water wicks just right with the smok 2 hole laser cut cartos(single coil). When I was playing around one time and made one of my juices at 50\50 with 8% distilled water, it flooded smok cartos.

So the juice needs to be the right viscosity for carto tanks to really shine. Or, go the other way and adjust the number of holes.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    The flange is not necessary for use on IBTanked. There is a flat shoulder on the base of the carto where the flange would be. Just line it up flat with the bottom of the IBTanked end cap. The Siam Mods V2 will deform the carto a little and a lot less than with other tools. You should always lubricate the carto with a little juice before sliding it into the tank. I have used cartos punched with Siam Mods V2 for months and have yet to wear out a single IBTanked O-ring. They just slide over the punched carto with no issues.

Pictures say 1,000 words. Here is a quick video on using the Siam Mods V2.

V2 Cartomizer Punch - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

Thanks, I will certainly keep this in mind.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    Looks like I was overreacting. The juice is definitely taking its time filling the carto, and sometimes I have to take quick, strong hits without power to get good vape, but all is good. I do think that one of the holes is clogged, as air bubbles only come from the other hole. Hoping that the next carto works even better.
    Also, OCD helped by telling me with the 100%VG juices, I may need to be more forceful when "fiddling with the thingy", and that tip helped a lot!
    Thanks again to all.

mackman

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2013
    NorCal
    Wasn't sure if I should post this in the "Carto Issues" or the "Tank Issues" section.

I have 100% VG juice from Velvet Cloud Vapor, which they add distilled water to. I recently got a carto-tank from IBTanked, with Smoktech pre-punched 2 hole cartos. Tank mounts on a ProVari Mini.
    When I first got the tank, I added some VCV juice that I had further diluted with RO water. It was a pain to prime the carto and get good draws. Took the pre-punched cartos to my drill press, drill out the wholes to 1/16". The carto in the tank wicked like a champ, almost too well.
    Next tank fill, I used the VCV juice right from the bottle. I don't think it's working so well. Doesn't seem to be properly wicking to me.

If I take off the drip tip and look down on the carto, should it always be wet?
    Should I drill the holes even bigger? Add a third hole?

I too use VCV juices and other high VG juices. What I found that works perfect for me are Ikenvape platinum S slotted cartos or other slotted cartos. The draw and flavor with high VG juice is far superior IMHO with slotted vs. punched cartos

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 19, 2013
    Sinking Spring, PA, USA
    After too much frustration with a leaking Vivi V-Fate 3.5, I decided to give my IBT another try. I'm pretty sure now that the carto I was using in the tank was clogged. It seems that it has un-clogged itself, and now performs tremendously! Almost to the point of flooding, even with the VCV juice!
    I definitely enjoy the flavor production of the V-Fate more, but I can't deal with the leaking (MVS sent me a label to send it back, maybe a replacement will be fine).
    I'm falling in love with the IBT for now!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread