32 years of smoking...down the drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first puff of a cigarette I had was on a dare at the age of 12. I smoked a cigarette here, one there until I was 17. Then I started buying a pack for myself. At first it was a pack every week, but by my 18th birthday, I was at a pack a day. Now the good news is that for the next 32 years, I would smoke about a pack a day, sometimes more, once in awhile less. About 15 years ago, I started noticing that I wasn't in as good shape as I had been. I couldn't do 10k runs anymore without having to jog or walk the last mile or so. So I started thinking about quitting. First up was hard will and determination. Cold turkey lasted about 6 weeks for me, until I went to a bar one evening. I thought, 1 or 2 won't hurt me...next week, pack a day, right where I left off.
So I didn't think too much about quitting again that year or the year after that. Started getting a bit more difficult to even jog for a mile or two without getting winded, so I decided to give the nic patch a try. While wearing the patch, I reduced my cigarette consumption daily by...2 cigarettes. That's it. After 6 weeks of that, I realized that I really didn't want to spend that much money on both a patch and a pack, so one had to go. The tobacco was a bit cheaper, so I kept it. Failure #2.
Later the same year, I decided maybe the nic gum would work. Pretty much the same results as the patch all the way to the end game. Tobacco was cheaper and won the contest. Failure #3.
Went to my family physician about 6 years ago and told him my experiences in the past with smoking cessation. He prescribed WellButrin and told me that if I did smoke while using the pill, it WOULD make me sick. So, I filled the prescription, went home, put the smokes on the table and took a pill. 6 hours later, I couldn't stand the nic cravings and lit one up. Got sick, sure as he said, but it wasn't that bad. I struggled with that for a couple of months (had a 3 month scrip) and lowered my daily analog use to 15 cigs a day. Big reduction. Failure #4.
3 or 4 years ago, I met up with an old high school friend through Facebook. Hadn't talked to him in about 30 years, but we picked up right where we left off. So what does that have to do with kicking the habit??? Watch this... We had both been struggling with trying to find ways to quit over the years and both with the same result. 2 years ago, this buddy of mine decides to try vaping and he started with eGos, I believe. I had done some research at that point on e-cigs and figured that I would go the cheaper route and started with Blu cig-a-likes. He was successful at weaning himself off the analogs gradually, I got down to 4-5 analogs daily myself. But, I ran into a little snag. I really didn't care for 3 out of the 5 flavors available with the Blu for starters, and for second, the vapor just wasn't comparable to analogs. I made it 3 months at 4-5 analogs a day before I shelved the Blu and went back to my beloved Marlboros. Failure #5.
Meanwhile, my high school friend has kicked the habit for good and has been strictly vaping, all the while "hounding" me to try the eGo. So I started doing a research on them and other tank systems. Realized that the eGo was not too much more than the original Blu was when I bought it, but I was still having flashbacks about all my previous wallet draining failures. For the next year and a half, I used inhalers in the morning and in the evening, just to keep the hacking down to a limited amount.
February 7, 2014 was not much different than any of the previous days...inhaler in the morning, once at work, and a couple of times in the evening. Went to bed and could not get to sleep. I had the worst coughing fit I had ever had and it was hurting real bad. Worse, the inhalers weren't helping anymore. I prayed to The Lord to get me through the night and if I did make it, I would put down my cigs, go to the vape store and buy the eGo kit the next afternoon. Well, I got up that morning, but I hacked so bad that I got sick to my stomach. Breakfast gone, I lit up a cig and headed out the door to work. I didn't take a smoke break that day like usual and as soon as I got off work, I went to the vape store and bought the eGo kit and 2 bottles of ejuice. Smoked a cigarette on the way home, it would turn out to be the last cigarette I smoked, even though I still had 4 left in the pack. I sat the pack down in front of the ashtray that sits next to my laptop, cleaned the ashtray out and plugged in the eGo to give it it's first charge...took about 15 minutes because they came with a pretty good charge on the batteries. Meanwhile. I'm looking up directions on Youtube because the eGo kit didn't have any. Figured out how to get everything set up, and an hour after I left the vape shop, I was vaping a flavor called Real Cig. The guy at the store asked me what type of analogs I smoked and upon hearing the answer, suggested 12 mg/ml juice. So, that's where I started...not 18 or 24, but 12. Could have been a recipe for failure if not for variable voltage. When I got really strong cravings, I blasted that poor eGo to it's upper limit and pulled hard. You know what, it worked. I still had the 4 cigs in that pack after 10 days of vaping. Gave them to my wife day 11 because at that point, I had a pretty good feeling I wasn't going to be needing them as a crutch.
Longer story short, I've done what most vapers do on their quest to remain analog free. Bought another eGo kit so I wouldn't run out of charged batteries when I was on the go. Bought Kanger Tanks to replace the CE4 style plastic tanks that crack too easy with certain liquids. Bought better Kanger tanks including the Aero. Bought a Vamo APV (second best purchase to date) to deliver more power to my better tanks. Learned how to brew my own juice. And finally this last week, bought my first and definitely not last RBA, an ehpro Kayfun 3.1 clone (best purchase to date, in case you were wondering).
So there you have it. 32 years of smoking down the drain...and I couldn't be happier about it.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
congratulations-desi-glitters-11.gif
and you should be proud of yourself too. We've all been there, done that and know how it feels. Welcome to ecf and I look forward to hearing more about your vaping adventure and addictions. Isn't it just a wonderful place here. All the info you need and all the support you can handle. Lovely group of people here. Good luck and happy vaping. :)

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
Ajaymes2001, BIG congratulations!!! A story with a happy ending that is also a new and happy beginning! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Hang in here with us a while and find out how much fun quitting smoking can actually be - yes - fun! NOT depressing and stressful like all those other times....

That first puff on an eGo 8 months ago put the lid on 47 yrs. of smoking for me. I'm still riding high over what seems like a miracle to me!

Normally I would absolutely abhor that statement, but you are absolutely right. I AM a quitter, and it feels real, real good. I have read (and I support all) a lot of people's success stories on quitting, or at least reducing by a large amount and noticed that not everybody puts down the analogs spot on. I get that because after 4 months, I still think about picking up a cancer stick. Not that I will, because those days are simply over, but I understand how hard it is to put them down and to do it for good.

Was reading over in the diy juice part of the forum a bit ago, and was interested to see the differing views on just how healthy or not flavors might or might not be. Myself personally, I feel that I did a lot more damage in 32 years of smoking than I will be doing with flavors in my juice. I know that some flavors may cause an allergic reaction, so I don't order them. Butter, well, just like IRL, you have to use it very sparingly and know that it isn't risk free. It is nice to be informed, but not to the point of scaring off noobs.

Thank you for the welcome, and I do intend to make it a long journey...without analogs!

Welcome! It only gets more fun too (plus, some of us end up with a hobby). I smoked for 40 years and because of this technology I have over 1 year without smoking (or coughing, etc.). Bravo!

I can't imagine having anymore fun than I already am. In the 4 months I've been vaping I have learned and applied much! When I first started in Feb. my timetable for diy juice was the beginning of 2015 and possibly buying my first mod by then as well. Didn't plan on the Kayfun either until much later.

My oldest daughter is proud that I have a really good hobby to keep me going well into my golden years...should help keep the dementia at bay, she said. Not too sure about that as most think I'm a tad on the crazy side already. My adopted daughter gets a huge kick out of watching me create some new batch of juice, says I look much akin to a mad scientist. I always did love tinkering around with stuff in school, chemistry was my best and favorite course.

As far as a hobby, it has become one very quick, rationalization is all the money I'm saving by not smoking, I'll reinvest into vaping. I have my eyes set on a couple of gizmos that I'd really like, but don't really need. I think that's one of the known symptoms of a hobby...lol!

Thank you for the welcome! The people I've come across so far in here have been nothing short of great. I will definitely stick around and learn/share, this is a pretty nice place!

congratulations-desi-glitters-11.gif
and you should be proud of yourself too. We've all been there, done that and know how it feels. Welcome to ecf and I look forward to hearing more about your vaping adventure and addictions. Isn't it just a wonderful place here. All the info you need and all the support you can handle. Lovely group of people here. Good luck and happy vaping. :)

Thank you!! I do like it around here, tremendous amount of info available and the people I've met so far seem like really great people. I plan on being around for a good while and learn as much as I can. The more I know, the better I can share with others who might want to add a few more months/years/decades to their lives.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
ajaymes2001, welcome from a fellow North Carolinian! Am proud of you accomplishment, you've got the hard part behind you.

I was a 37 year former smoker myself, until November 2013. Like you, I also have backup devices.

Keep up the great work & remember that we're here for you anytime.

All the Best,
Cat

Ajaymes2001, BIG congratulations!!! A story with a happy ending that is also a new and happy beginning! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Hang in here with us a while and find out how much fun quitting smoking can actually be - yes - fun! NOT depressing and stressful like all those other times....

That first puff on an eGo 8 months ago put the lid on 47 yrs. of smoking for me. I'm still riding high over what seems like a miracle to me!

Thank you! I understand and feel completely what you said right there...It is an end to a horrible habit and a beginning to a good hobby.

Making my own juice is a blast, having been a chef in my early years, I enjoy working with flavors and creating...

As far as the miracle...AMEN. I am convinced that it is as well, and I am so happy to have another chance at living a longer life.

Thank you for the welcome, I'm happy to be here, and I'm happy to be analog free. One of the reasons I joined the forum was for the support. Not just for myself, but what I can give others who don't have as many notches in the belt yet.

I do feel good about where I am with quitting smoking. My task is harder than some but, by all means, not everyone's. My wife still smokes about a half pack of analogs a day. My step-daughter and her boyfriend both smoke as well, but they aren't here as much. And my neighbors across the street (who are here more than my s-daughter) both vape and smoke.
ajaymes2001, welcome from a fellow North Carolinian! Am proud of you accomplishment, you've got the hard part behind you.

I was a 37 year former smoker myself, until November 2013. Like you, I also have backup devices.

Keep up the great work & remember that we're here for you anytime.

All the Best,
Cat

I hear of some people that have reactions to one or another of the ingredients in the e-liquid. Most don't and I don't remember which one is which, but I think if you reduce the pg in your e-liquid that might take care of that. Hopefully some other better informed members can either verify that or point you in the correct direction if I got that backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread