A bit of a Rant and an Observation (People first, not Products!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Cal State Dominguez-Hills is the only University in the US that offers Computer Technology/Homeland Security as a bachelors. And I do have authentic taco stands less than three blocks from my house. Just try to ignore the gunshots. This is a nice neighborhood, ones close by are so so at best at times.

So they train the Homeland Security/IT guys to shoot? Armed in the server room? 4th tier support is a sniper team in a black van?

Be safe
I

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
A bit of a Rant and an Observation (FOOD first, not Products!) :)

Ranting and raving! What I have the most difficulty saying "no" to

lasagna.jpg

What I'll be having tonight

e801917a.jpg

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL
Growing up in the Mid West, I had a giggle fit about 5 years ago when I moved to FL and a waitress asked me if I wanted a fish taco. I had no idea how she could say that with a straight face, until I saw it on the Menu... (Grouper, lettuce, tomato, etc on a taco shell)
Boy, that sure isn't what that meant in high school!

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
amished.wordpress.com
Just had a breakfast quesadilla. Wish it had been tacos though.

Not to derail the thread, but I personally see this place as being very people oriented. Particularly considering the fact that the point of the board is e-cigs and not socialization. I can't speak about the vaping community at large though. For me, when I'm around vapers, the first thing I want to talk about is vaping. When I'm at a B&M i'm talking vaping. When I meet other vapers in the wild, we talk vaping. When I'm hanging with my brother (I converted him to vaping) we talk a lot about vaping.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
I daren't argue the authentic taco. I was born and raised in San Antonio, still here except for the few years I lived in Dallas. Some of the most exotic restaurants I've been to lately were owned by Honduran and Guatemalan immigrants. Rick Bayless did a whole show about how all cuisines are fusion. The corn in the taco is the new world element, but the pig in the pork filling was introduced by the Spaniards. In Tex-Mex it's beef filling. Cattle were brought to the new world by the Spaniards. My grandma made the best chili. I have the recipe but it's very time consuming. She said that like all German immigrants in south Texas, her mother learned how to make it from the Mexican locals. The book "Hidden Kitchens" has a chapter about the San Antonio "chile queens" who sold bowls of hot spiced meat chunks, bathed in chile sauce, from carts downtown, before they were chased away during the era of development and "gentrification". The "beans-are-not-chile" argument still has no weight for me though, having eaten vegetarian for so many years now. It's all good.

THETOTALLYCOOL

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
Spanish Harlem
In New Mex, chili is hard to find, even in a greasy spoon. They're all about chile, usually green. People eat it on/with lots of things. It's hard to find a breakfast burrito without it. If you went to a restaurant and said, "I'll just have the chili," most likely they'd bring you a bowl of spicy chicken stew. The other stuff is referred to as "Texas chili" but people don't even talk about it. It's pretty weird.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread