A little science project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a type one diabetic and also new to vaping.. Recently I purchased my first mod and have been using diffrent flavored Juices everyday.. For those who dont know, Vegetable glycerin is a natural sweetener that can be ingested many different ways including rubbing on the skin, eating, vaping etc.. My point is that I noticed my blood sugar levels being higher while using my vaporizer.. Therefore for the next thirty days I will monitor my blood sugar numbers daily. One day vaping one day without and hopefully figure out if by vaping I am going to have to use more insulin to keep my levels normal... This could be a great experiment that could help other diabetics using their vaporizer...
Any Ideas or comments would be helpfull. I will also be posting updates on the information I learn.
Thanks everybody!
LJ:vapor::confused:

The diabetes association has a very positive look on vegetable glycerin although not much is known about the effects of PG..either way I think this could put another positive look at vaping if I can prove that the liquids give Diabetics a sweet alternative to sugary foods while also giving users a pleasnt vaping experience.

Yerakon

Dec 17, 2012
Cremona, Italy
Some things (I translated, I hope may be of interest)

1: liquids do not contain sugar, although the propylene glycol is normally metabolized to pyruvic acid, from which the body normally can't produce glucose. (thanks @katfu37)

2: even when all the liquid was made from pure glucose, would lead to the assumption of a few grams of glucose in 24 hours, insufficient quantity to determine also only a fluctuation of blood glucose.

3: the only conceivable glucose fluctuation phenomena, could be those induced by nicotine using the route of catecholamines (mainly adrenaline) on which this molecule is active. However, nicotine was already present in cigarette smoke, so it can not be considered a determining factor in this case.

Have you changed your dose of nicotine than cigarettes? How much did you smoke previously and now what is the dosage of nicotine?

Last edited:

PinkPanter

Jun 21, 2014
The Netherlands
Thx LJTothetop, I'am not a diabetic, but when I was searching for a sweetener, I already had my doubts about the follow description below of a sweetener of some shop in The Netherlands...

Flesje van 15ml Capella DIY zoetstof.

"Deze zoetstof bevat sucralose, dit is gemaakt van suiker dus het smaakt zoals een echte zoetstof hoort te smaken. Geen kunstmatige zoete smaak!

De voordelen van Capella Super Sweet:

Het smaakt als suiker, want het is gemaakt van suiker!
U heeft maar enkele druppels nodig om uw e-liquid zoeter te maken
Is goed bestand tegen hitte, dus perfect om uw e-liquid zoeter te maken.
Veilig voor diabetici

Pas op: Deze smaakstof is niet bedoeld om puur te dampen of als smaakstof, voeg deze toe aan uw e-liquid om deze iets zoeter te maken. Er zijn afhankelijk van uw smaak slechts enkele druppels nodig!"

In short there is written its made of sugar, so there are no unnatural substances involved within.
One of the profits should be (into bold), safe for diabetic.

I'am confused now, if you can prove this really is going on which I do believe, then those descriptions are misleading people and this can turn into horrible things for users with diabetic.

Katfu37

Jul 4, 2014
Frederick, MD
What a great study this could make. I am not diabetic, but vaping has definitely taken care of my sweet tooth. I've lost 5 lbs!

One suggestion would be to keep a food diary along with a vaping diary to make sure it's not something you are eating that is causing the rise and don't realize it.

Some things (I translated, I hope may be of interest)

1: liquids do not contain sugar, although the propylene glycol is normally metabolized to pyruvic acid, from which the body can produce glucose.

I was taught that pyruvic acid is a product of glycolysis, which is the breakdown of glucose. The pyruvic acid is used in anaerobic or aerobic respiration. I don't think it can form molecules of glucose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Im a type one diabetic and also new to Vaping.. Recently I purchased my first mod and have been using diffrent flavored Juices everyday.. For those who dont know, Vegetable glycerin is a natural sweetener that can be ingested many different ways including rubbing on the skin, eating, vaping etc.. My point is that I noticed my blood sugar levels being higher while using my vaporizer.. Therefore for the next thirty days I will monitor my blood sugar numbers daily. One day vaping one day without and hopefully figure out if by vaping I am going to have to use more insulin to keep my levels normal... This could be a great experiment that could help other diabetics using their vaporizer...
Any Ideas or comments would be helpfull. I will also be posting updates on the information I learn.
Thanks everybody!
LJ:vapor::confused:

All sounds like a Great Project.

A Daily Log Book of Nicotine, VG, PG, Sweetener intakes for your e-Liquids. And then a Matching Column of Blood Sugar Levels.

Sounds Cool to me.

hi there, heres my little 2 cents, a while back i was doing some research and i learned that pg and vg are metabolized completely different by us, PG gets metabolized in the liver (pretty much as booze) and it is transformed into Lactic acid, on the other hand VG is metabolized as sugar, i really have no clue what is better for a diabetic vaper but thought id share that info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread