Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I do agree with most of what you said wandering. But if I may politely disagree with your comment about The Beatles. To me, they did grab the heart & soul of their fan base and it even extended it. They changed the entire world. An entire new mind set was brought about by the subject matter of their songs. Maybe you had to live it and experience it to fully grasp when I am failing to explain properly. But please trust me wandering, they had a hold on everybody throughout the world.
I can only speak from our own experience - I was a 13 year old trudging through morning frost to school singing Love me Do with all the rest. I loved that single: the B side was PS I Love You. My initials before I was married were PS, so it was a particularly special one to me.
I'd been given my first record player for my 13th birthday a couple of months earlier, and that single was a special pocket money purchase.
There followed a regular stream of more, and The Stones were growing in popularity too.

After a few years, the changes taking place were tangible. Everyone could feel it, live it, enjoy it - yes, plenty of other music revelations from the UK & the US were growing along with those two bands - and the images we'd see in newspapers, magazines and TV news all added to the huge changes that the younger generation were becoming a part of: Woodstock, Carnaby Street, mods/rockers, rock concerts, wonderful motorcycles, fashion, hairstyles, guest bands at coffee bars, burgers and cola ....so much came together to form what for me and my generation was one of the most joyful, life changing times to be growing up in!

When our own two sons were old enough, they gradually discovered our music collection, and took to The Beatles pretty much in the same way that we had. Both said how much they envied us to be teenagers and young adults at such a wonderful time.

Anyway, that's how it was for my friends and I in the 60's/early 70's

As for the Grateful Dead, I didn't know much about them back then ..suppose it all depends what type of music you gravitate towards :)

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
I do agree with most of what you said wandering. But if I may politely disagree with your comment about The Beatles. To me, they did grab the heart & soul of their fan base and it even extended it. They changed the entire world. An entire new mind set was brought about by the subject matter of their songs. Maybe you had to live it and experience it to fully grasp when I am failing to explain properly. But please trust me wandering, they had a hold on everybody throughout the world.

if I may add my 2 cent regarding the Beatles...I agree WHOLEHEARTED with what you said AND they changed the whole recording process of music. Yes I know Pet Sounds and it too is a GREAT album that came out a year earlier than Sgt Pepper, but IMO it was Sgt Pepper that revolutionized what could be accomplished in the studio. It's also a pretty tasty concept album

again just my 2 cents and I may be WAY off...

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
Consider me odd......don't dislike any of Nicoticket e-juices........Delicious......:)

Actually, I can't vape any other brands now.

I find mahself in much the same position now...I may not vape Virus all the time, but I like it. Other vendors, things of the past.

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
if I may add my 2 cent regarding the Beatles...I agree WHOLEHEARTED with what you said AND they changed the whole recording process of music. Yes I know Pet Sounds and it too is a GREAT album that came out a year earlier than Sgt Pepper, but IMO it was Sgt Pepper that revolutionized what could be accomplished in the studio. It's also a pretty tasty concept album

I totally agree. Theyre both brilliant albums. The difference is that The Beatles had George Martin and the Beach Boys didnt.

grover868

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Modesto, CA, USA

Can only imagine what these two could have come up with.

motabrownie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Lawrence, KS
Without Pet Sounds there would have been no Sgt. Pepper.

Bold statement Grover and I like it. Gives me something to think about. Pet sounds is pure genius.

I could be wrong but didnt Paul get the idea for Sgt peppers after hanging out with the Beach Boys during the recording of Pet Sounds?

grover868

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Modesto, CA, USA
I could be wrong but didnt Paul get the idea for Sgt peppers after hanging out with the Beach Boys during the recording of Pet Sounds?

As I recall from reading The Beatles Anthology, Bruce Johnston flew to London and several musicians gathered in his hotel room to listen to Pet Sounds repeatedly. Lennon, McCartney and Keith Moon were a few of those listening to it over and over. McCartney has stated many times that Pet Sounds was the inspiration for Pepper, and modeled his bass playing after the melodic bass lines throughout the Pet Sounds album.

grover868

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Modesto, CA, USA
Please come and join us in the Jam Band Fans Unite! sub forum. It can be found in The Lounge. Turn your speakers up and post some of your favorite songs. I would post a link, but can't.

I have been waiting patiently for Pictor to begin posting some of the English bands she grew up with.

Last edited:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Please come and join us in the Jam Band Fans Unite! sub forum. It can be found in The Lounge. Turn your speakers up and post some of your favorite songs. I would post a link, but can't.

I have been waiting patiently for Pictor to begin posting some of the English bands she grew up with.
I'll need to have a think about that ..not everything I liked was English/British, but a fair number were:)

May not be able to keep up with another section of the forum, but I'll take a look :) (supposed to be trying to get some work done :facepalm:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread