About to start my first diy liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
The thing that is Cool about those Notes is you have a running Perspective of how the Recipe is Evolving. Something that is Very Important if you move away from it Now, but come back to it sometime Down the Road.

It's just Hard to do all that from pure Memory.

I do the same thing in my barbeque and homebrewing. Nice thing about homebrewing I have a program like ejuice calculator called Beersmith. But I do the same thing there as I do with ejuice, don't have the original to before current recipe flow.

Not found the same for barbeque so have an Excel program for that (use to compete in KSBS, still a KSBS judge though). I do have notes from original to current bbq recipes for rubs, sauces and other recipes.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I do have notes from original to current bbq recipes for rubs, sauces and other recipes.

That is what has Helped me Immensely with DIY. Having a Detailed Progression of how a Recipe has gotten to where it is now.

I mean, on a 1 or 2 Flavor Recipe, all that is really going on is Strength of Flavoring. No Big deal. But when doing a 7 Flavor Mix, things become Complex kinda from the Get-Go.

And sometimes a Recipe starts to get "Off Track". And it is Nice to be able to go back a Few Steps and then go in a Different Direction.

Reactions: numsquat

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
That is what has Helped me Immensely with DIY. Having a Detailed Progression of how a Recipe has gotten to where it is now.

I mean, on a 1 or 2 Flavor Recipe, all that is really going on is Strength of Flavoring. No Big deal. But when doing a 7 Flavor Mix, things become Complex kinda from the Get-Go.

And sometimes a Recipe starts to get "Off Track". And it is Nice to be able to go back a Few Steps and then go in a Different Direction.

Oh I get it. When things go FUBAR it's nice to be able to backtrack. I admit I've been lazy but have gotten away from note taking when it comes to things like BBQ or brewing because I have the experience, it does occasionally bit my .... in ejuice though. My only saving grace is that I don't do many complex recipes with ejuice. It does make it easier to backtrack. As I get into more complex recipes, I do need to change my ways at least until I get more experienced. I will say my goal is 10 ADV recipes, I really don't need that much but would be nice to have variety.

Reactions: zoiDman

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Thanks. Kind of excited about seeing what happens when I mix. Should be a lot of fun making up juice. And I like a challenge too. But basics of it seem fairly simple.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mixing juice is pretty easy, mixing juice that taste really good to you can take a little more time :)

But, it's not rocket surgery and if you keep things neat and clean, take good notes, never ever have an unlabeled bottle around, taste all your flavors stand alone as a base line and aren't afraid to make mistakes or to readily dump out failures and move on, the rewards are great both financially and personally.

AshMan

May 29, 2017
Mixing juice is pretty easy, mixing juice that taste really good to you can take a little more time :)

But, it's not rocket surgery and if you keep things neat and clean, take good notes, never ever have an unlabeled bottle around, taste all your flavors stand alone as a base line and aren't afraid to make mistakes or to readily dump out failures and move on, the rewards are great both financially and personally.
I can't wait to make my first batch. Key for me will be to figure the nicotine out for my base to be at 3mg nic or a bit less. Plan on doing a 30ml to start of juice, but not going to try tonight. Maybe in a couple of days. Still have plenty of research and reading up to do.

I've got plenty of juice I've bought to last a few weeks anyway.. though some are so good I can chain vape 4 ml in one sitting. Lol

Reactions: mountaingal

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Labeling can be anything from a piece of masking tape written on with a fine point marker to a printed label. These two labels show the label from my handheld Brother printer on the left (2 labels, one above the other) and my Brother QL-700 USB printer on the right. Both are fine, but I'm partial to the Brother QL-700.

Both are water resistant and stand up to a warm water wash after application without smearing. The QL-700 spits out a label in a couple of seconds and included software is a graphics program similar to a Windows Paint or Photoshop type format that lets you use a wide range of fonts and inserted graphics.

20170307_075054[581]resized.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mixed up a 30ml batch last night strawberry and fresh cream. Will shake it a few times a day, and steep for a few days and give it a try. Just followed a simple recipe.

That shouldn't take more than a week to mature to steep to a vapable point. The cream flavoring may take longer to fully emerge. The strawberry should be good in 3 days.

Reactions: AshMan

AshMan

May 29, 2017
That shouldn't take more than a week to mature to steep to a vapable point. The cream flavoring may take longer to fully emerge. The strawberry should be good in 3 days.
Should I heat it in a crock pot or warm to hot water for a little bit to help it. I'm ok with letting it steep for a week or more if needed.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Should I heat it in a crock pot or warm to hot water for a little bit to help it. I'm ok with letting it steep for a week or more if needed.

Depending on the flavors used, most people report that juices mature in 2 or 3 hours of hot water steeping, especially if the hot water is in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've tried it and found it easier to time steep at room temp. I just let mine sit at room temp and shake them 2 or 3 times a day. Since I always have a dozen or two mature bottles of juice around to vape so there's never a rush.

Try the crock pot on low and see what happens.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

JMO.

But when a person is New to DIY and or working on a New Recipe, I would suggest Not introducing another Unknown Variable like "Heat Steeping" until you know what the Recipe Tastes like by just sitting for 3 or 4 days.

Once you know what a Mix is going to Taste Like, then yeah... Go Nuts with Steeping Techniques.

But without a Baseline to say what a Mix Tastes like, if it Doesn't taste right, was it the Heat Steeping that was the Issue? Or something Else? Or a Combination of Both?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Mixed up a 30ml batch last night strawberry and fresh cream. Will shake it a few times a day, and steep for a few days and give it a try. Just followed a simple recipe.

BTW - Any time you get New Nicotine Base, PG, and or VG, you should make a Small Batch of Unflavored in the mg/ml and PG/VG Ratio you normally Vape.

Then Taste it. It should Taste Clean. And Relatively Tasteless.

Can't tell you How Many times I have read about people New to DIY who Struggle and Everything they make Tastes Funky. Only to Find weeks down the Road that it was there Nicotine Base. Or PG. Or VG that had the Funky Taste.

And Nothing to due with their Recipe.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
BTW - Any time you get New Nicotine Base, PG, and or VG, you should make a Small Batch of Unflavored in the mg/ml and PG/VG Ratio you normally Vape.

Then Taste it. It should Taste Clean. And Relatively Tasteless.

Can't tell you How Many times I have read about people New to DIY who Struggle and Everything they make Tastes Funky. Only to Find weeks down the Road that it was there Nicotine Base. Or PG. Or VG that had the Funky Taste.

And Nothing to due with their Recipe.

I agree. I do detect a hint of sweetness from the VG even with my 70pg/30vg juice. Unflavored is actually a satisfying vape after vaping flavors for a while.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree. I do detect a hint of sweetness from the VG even with my 70pg/30vg juice. Unflavored is actually a satisfying vape after vaping flavors for a while.

I hear you.

I Burned out on vaping Heavily Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquids. Now I just Prime a new wick with a Flavored e-Liquid and then fill my Tank or Squonk Bottle with Unflavored.

It's Amazing how much Flavor there is from just a Flavored Wick. And also how much Longer my Coils last.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Thanks. Kind of excited about seeing what happens when I mix. Should be a lot of fun making up juice. And I like a challenge too. But basics of it seem fairly simple.

Yeah, it is pretty exciting when you take the first drag with your own juice. Even if it doesn't taste so great. It's a bit like when you make your first successful coil.

One comment on methods of mixing. I spent weeks researching and read hundreds of posts. Then I ordered a bunch of equipment which is mostly in a plastic tub in the attic now. After a while you will figure out the method that works best for you. It might be different from how anyone else in the world does it. I ended up using small syringes for flavoring, and pouring everything else from bottles into plastic measuring cylinders. But I just got some scales so I might try that out now.

good luck

Reactions: IDJoel

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
IMO, before doing any aging or steeping (or whatever else one wants to call it)...test vaping at least several drops of your newly made DIY is important, for several reasons.
If you don't do that...

(1) How would you know if it's perhaps already a really good shake and vape recipe? (I've often wondered, when people say a recipe is good after 2-3 days of aging or steeping...if it might have been that good when newly made, but they didn't know it!)

(2) How can a baseline of taste be established to compare how it changes, or even if it actually does change...by letting it age or steep for 2-3 days, or for maybe a week, or even a month, etc.?

I don't understand why, and/or where, many people get the idea that all eliquids automatically require some form of aging/steeping as soon as they're made. I'd be willing to bet that if more taste testing and sample vaping were done, that less steeping or aging would be going on before people enjoyed their DIY eliquids.

Iv3shf

May 25, 2017
Italy/England
I, again, agree with JCinFLA, always test vape your freshly made liquid.
Shake it, put it in a cup of hot (not sooo hot) water till it cools down, shake it again, let it rest a bit and then test it, you immediately will notice what's missing from your freshly made recipe.
Now it's the moment to leave it, improve it or change something and take note of it.
What's missed at first will be even more with steeping, if something is overpowering with a few tricks (leave cap off for 12 hours.. etc.) will become more subtle, but it's up to you.
Only after test vape you can make your decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread