Advice Needed for Avid Hookah User

Status
Not open for further replies.

ans136

Mar 4, 2013
New York
I am an avid hookah user looking to get into vaping and have been reading heavily about passhtrough vapes and clearomizer setups. I want to be able to use low nic/high VG flavored juices for clouds and minimal throat hit. There is a lot of helpful people on this forum and I am hoping that some users with hookah experience can help.

Can someone recommend a proper passthrough setup (Battery, Clearomizer, etc.) with appropriate juices that can emulate hookah use?

Your help is much appreciated.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Well I was never one for hookahs but my cousin who is has told me that the set up that was to him almost exactly like a hookah was any of my genesis set ups. That being said since those set ups aren't anywhere near what your lloking for the closest thing in my opinion would be an ego passthrough with a boge low resistence (1.5ohm) atomizer. And any vg juice, the juices that I have gotten the most vapor out of is probabaly copper creek juices, these IMO are one of the better juice companies out there I have yet to get a bad flavor. If you don't want to drip (which is what youll have to do with the boge atomizer) I would say go with a vivi nova which is just a big clearomizer, you can get about a day or two out of them without filling and they are pretty easy to use. I have had good luck with clearomizers but I perfer the vivi so if you rather have a clearo just go with a vision brand and make sure its the rebuildable one i think it's the version 2. The problem with clearo's and vivi's is the taste is a bit muted. Also can I ask why you want a passthrough?

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I lived off hookah for years. Thats probably why i love passthroughs too.

Get an eGo passthrough and a few Artemus 6ml tanks, with a stock of replacement cartomizers for the tanks. Adjust quantity for how many people you are expecting (i assume you smoke hookah in groups too, yes? Just better that way)

As for juices, most vendors have 100% VG option. The flavors for vaping outnumber hookah by a long, long shot and include pretty much every hookah flavor you can account for. So thats one thing you dont have to worry about.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I live in Dearborn, MI, and hookah is an incredibly popular thing here. Within a 3 mile radius of my home, there are probably over 30 different hookah joints. Me and my friends used to hookah all the time in high school, so i have an idea of where you're coming from. You want huge clouds of vapor, good variety of tasty flavors, a long battery life (hence the passthrough), and low nic so you don't overdose as you puff for hours right?

I'm not so sure if this will help, but i would suggest a (dunno the term for non-passthrough) regular battery. You can get a long battery life with a Vision Variable Voltage 900 or 1300 mah Spinner battery. Sometimes hitting a hookah is a cool experience when going out, playing cards, with drinks, etc. This is why i wouldn't suggest being locked in with a pass through. Seeing as to how you want to vape pretty constantly, you could just buy 2 batteries and have one charging while you vape the other. With 2 1300mah's, you could vape probably all day.

As for the tank, i'd recommend the Vivi Nova. The Vivi Nova tank holds ~3ML of liquid, which will last a good while. Even if you have to refill, its very easy and you can do it anywhere in just a few seconds flat. I go through about 1-2ML a day, and i used to smoke around 15-20 cigs a day if that helps you at all. Now this tank is a bit bigger than the battery i suggested, but you can buy a "sleeve" to screw onto the battery that smooths out the transition to make it look more "sleek". I have this exact same setup, so i'm speaking from experience (albeit very little experience :D)

Regarding E-juice, tastes and whatnot are subjective. There are plenty of vendors who sell low-nic (12mg, 10mg, 6mg, 0mg) high VG juices, but the juices you're looking for (stuff like watermelon, green apple, vanilla are common hookah flavors where i live) are totally subjective. Different people think that difference vendors taste great/awful, so you have to do some self-exploration to figure that one out. There is higher-end stuff like Ahlusion and the Vape Dudes, which cost a bit more but people will vouch for. There is also great flavors for great prices at places like MtBakervapor, so again that's on you.

Link to Vision VV Spinner 1300mah - Vision Spinner Variable Voltage eGo 1300mAh Battery,Joytec Twist,Twist Battery,Spinner Black-Steel-Blue-Pink

Link to Vivi Nova Tank - Vision Vivi Nova V2 2.8ml-2.4 oHm Tank Clear. Electronic Cigarette in Charleston South Carolina Stardust Clearomizer.Replaceable Coil Heads

Link to "Sleeve" - D.C Cone 5ml Tank Dual Coil

Link to charger (dont forget these!!) - MYSTART eGo..USB-Wall-Charger Combo 500mah Charger

Those are all from the same shop so you only have to pay for shipping once if thats the route you want to take. Hear advice from other members, though. You don't want to settle on the first few ideas thrown at you. Really take your time and watch video reviews of products to see the people actually use these things and get an idea of what you want. Don't be afraid of the research, embrace it. Heres a video that helped me choose to go with the Vivi Nova tank, as he shows you first hand how easy it is to use and clean.

A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube

ans136

Mar 4, 2013
New York
This is all very very helpful advice. I really appreciate you all taking the time to write up thoughtful and detailed responses.

Aheadatime - You nailed what I am looking for: "You want huge clouds of vapor, good variety of tasty flavors, a long battery life (hence the passthrough), and low nic so you don't overdose as you puff for hours right?"

Few questions:

1) Going with a tank system like the Vivi Nova - Would this lose performance because of high VG juices? Should I go with a clearomizer in this case (stardust?)? Would I be able to chain puff (old habit)?

2) I like the Vision spinner handle but, unfortunately it does not have any pass through ability (I do like the concept of a spinner to adjust power output). Are there any similar items that have a 1300Mah battery but, also pass-through capabilities?

Thanks again!

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
As far as i know, the KGO is a variable voltage device that you can buy additional passthrough for.

There is another option: there are cheap eGo passthroughs that offer 4-5 different volt settings. Meaning you cannot fine-tune your voltage, but there are pre-set modes at 3.0/ 3.7/4.2.... Things like that. I personally dont mind this, i own one and its fantastic. Go to discountvaper and you will find them under Passthrough.

You dont have to go too high on VG for clouds. 50/50 is enough really, vapor clouds are much more intense than hookah clouds for sure.

As for tanks, generally higher VG juices are harder to deliver regardless of the system. But i have vaped 100% VG in my Nova before and it had no problem. Just remember to tilt your tank when the juice gets low so you can keep your wicks wet at all times.

floatingtrem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Few questions:

1) Going with a tank system like the Vivi Nova - Would this lose performance because of high VG juices? Should I go with a clearomizer in this case (stardust?)? Would I be able to chain puff (old habit)?

2) I like the Vision spinner handle but, unfortunately it does not have any pass through ability (I do like the concept of a spinner to adjust power output). Are there any similar items that have a 1300Mah battery but, also pass-through capabilities?

3) Also - Are T3 Clearomizers viable for high VG juices?
1) A ViVi Nova, while often called a tank, is just a large clearomizer. As far as I know, clearomizers tend to fare well with high VG juice.

2) I don't know of any fatty passthroughs (like the 1300mah spinner) but there are some 1100mah passthroughs out there, so you'll get almost the same battery life.

3) Because they're bottom coils, I suspect that the T3 would do well with high VG juice. They are notorious trouble makers though... check out the link in my sig for my solution to most of their problems.

I was/am an avid hookah smoker, and eCigs have totally been my bag. I got a passthrough as my first device, but since then I barely touch it. I like to have it around in case all my batteries are dead, but that hasn't happened yet. I use 50/50 6mg juice myself, but have been considering upping my VG ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread